Latest post Sat, May 15 2010 4:23 PM by sasha1. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 14 2010 5:14 PM

NX5 --> AVCHD --> (DNxHD?) --> Avid

Hello, couple questions.

I'm about to pick up a Sony NX5, and realized that it shoots AVCHD. To which, from what I gather on these forums, is NOT acceptable by Avid, and would have to transcode first into DNxHD using something like Squeeze.

If I Squeeze it into DNxHD, will I lose any quality on that transfer? Or if I bring it in through Vegas, and then export it, as... DNxHD there? Will it lose quality?

I'm Concerned that I'm spending a bucket load (Just one guy who likes filming stuff) on a camcorder, when I find out I can't even edit it on Avid.

I hear Media Composer 5 will take in AVCHD natively? When does MC5 come out?

As an AVID user, is there a camcorder that I should be purchasing for the same price as the NX5 that is just, more Avid friendly?

Thanks... appreciate any help.

• Fri, May 14 2010 5:17 PM In reply to

• Sasquatch
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nottingham England
    • Posts 606
    • Points 7,205

Re: NX5 --> AVCHD --> (DNxHD?) --> Avid

very soon....

HP Z420 16gb FX 1500 MC 8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k extreme HP Z400 24gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Aja express HP Z400 16gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k... [view my complete system specs]

Mike Kruft. Nottingham, UK

• Sat, May 15 2010 5:09 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,387
    • Points 97,025

Allan Hughes:
    If I Squeeze it into DNxHD, will I lose any quality on that transfer? Or if I bring it in through Vegas, and then export it, as... DNxHD there? Will it lose quality?
    You can use Squeeze to convert to QT DNxHD, and it will fast import into Avid.  I also know that people using NewBlue's AVCHD Upshift to convert.  This is apparently a very fast good quality process, and the software costs around $80 US.
    Allan Hughes:
    I hear Media Composer 5 will take in AVCHD natively? When does MC5 come out?
    If there's a Quicktime codec for it, it apparently will handle almost anything through AMA.  June 10 is the release date, as announced here (at the head of this forum, actually).

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 15 2010 4:23 PM In reply to

• sasha1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 394
    • Points 5,240

<<As an AVID user, is there a camcorder that I should be purchasing for the same price as the NX5 that is just, more Avid friendly?>>

I got the Z5 recently, which is exactly the same camera except that it records HDV, which works very smoothly in Avid. With a 64GB CF card you can record 5hrs 40mins. I'm at MC 3.5 and HDV is easy to import (directly, no conversion necessary) and edit (full-frame playback if you want). at this moment HDV is far more robust and useful than AVCHD. that will change but who knows what Sony will come up with next to replace the NX5. with the Z5 you also have the option to record in SD (DV or DVCAM), or both HDV and SD simultaneously (one to tape the other to card), for example using the SD to go right to DVD and be able to edit later in HD.

- sasha

Avid 1: HP Z420. Quadro 4000, Motu, MC 7.02. Avid 2: Dell T3400 - Core 2 Quad 2.83 - 8GB RAM - Quadro K2000 - Matrox Mini - MC 7.02 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller