Latest post Thu, Mar 14 2019 10:50 PM by editgeezer. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 12 2010 11:36 PM

• Hrubyink
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 31 2006
    • Posts 4
    • Points 65

Applying Transitions/FX to multiple clips

I know how to apply... say, a dissolve to multiple clips, but is there a way to apply other effects to multiple clips in the timeline?

Example: I produced a three camera LIVE event that will need to be edited using MULTI-CAM. One of my camera operators forgot to both white balance and set frame aspect to match the other cameras (My fault for not checking)  After multi-caming the project, I've had to place both the matte effect and color correction icons over EVERY CLIP FOR THAT CAMERA in the timeline.

Is there a faster way? If it's in the manual I haven't seen it (except for setting In and out, apply all, skip existing transitions, etc.) or can't find it.

Thanks for any help you can provide. 

• Wed, May 12 2010 11:43 PM In reply to

Re: Applying Transitions/FX to multiple clips

Select the clips you want by lasso and Ctrl+ or Alt+ Double Click on the effect you want.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Mar 11 2019 8:57 PM In reply to

Hi,

why can´t I apply a dissolve to multiple clips using the Quick Transition(QT) button in version 2018.11? - When pressing the QT button I just hear the error sound. I´ve marked the in and out points on several clips on the timeline and then when I press the QT button the error sound appears. I can apply QT on a single clip but not on multiple clips.

Best regards,

Masse

• Mon, Mar 11 2019 9:14 PM In reply to

Hi,

Can you post a screen shot of the area on your sequence where the QT isn't working? It might help to see what's going on.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Mar 12 2019 5:23 PM In reply to

Hi,

thanx for replying!

Here is a screenshot of the timeline - I want to apply a dissolve to multiple clips on V3 - setting in and out points - pressing the QT button - getting audio error message. I can apply a dissolve to a single clip but not to multiple clips.

Best regards,

Masse

• Tue, Mar 12 2019 5:58 PM In reply to

Hi Masse,

I can see two problems:

1. The edits you have marked are on a track that is not turned on/active. The track has to be turned on for dissolves across in/out to work.

2. It looks like you have also selected the clips, which may be confusing the system about what you want to do to them. Turn off red/yellow arrow segment mode.

In addition to both of those, there's a check box on the QT dialog box that must be turned on for the in/out to work.

I hope that helps!

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Tue, Mar 12 2019 11:58 PM In reply to

Hi,

thanx again for helping me out!

Now I´ve got it working, I did all the things you told me to do but the QT still didn´t accept.

...then I realized a real newbie fault, I forgot to place the marker right between two clips (not on a clip) on the track v3... 

So with your guidance and me giving myself a wake up call made it!

Really appreciate your help!

Masse 

• Wed, Mar 13 2019 7:05 AM In reply to

You're welcome! I'm glad you got it figured out!

• Thu, Mar 14 2019 4:57 PM In reply to

Hi again,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTDFDQVZSnY&t=12s

check this video out (1.00 min), he can apply a dissolve on multiple clips without having the marker between clips - that doesn´t work for me. Is it a glitch? 

• Thu, Mar 14 2019 6:21 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,152
    • Points 217,295
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

editgeezer:

Hi again,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTDFDQVZSnY&t=12s

check this video out (1.00 min), he can apply a dissolve on multiple clips without having the marker between clips - that doesn´t work for me. Is it a glitch? 

Are you still on 2018.11 and what OS exactly?   Want to try but dont want to do it in the wrong enviroment.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Mar 14 2019 7:43 PM In reply to

editgeezer:

How far are you from the edit point when you hit the QT button?

Because I am a nerd, I just tested it out on my system. When I'm 100 frames from the nearest edit point and hit the QT button I just get the Windows error sound. If I am 90 frames from the nearest edit point and hit the QT button I get the QT dialog and the nearest edit point is highlighted.

Maybe you're not close enough?

• Thu, Mar 14 2019 10:31 PM In reply to

Still on 2018.11 and on a Mac OS High Sierra, Imac 5k late 2014.

/Masse

• Thu, Mar 14 2019 10:42 PM In reply to

Yes, looks like this is the answer - I´m in a 30 fps project and get the same result as you - good solid nerd investigation! 

• Thu, Mar 14 2019 10:45 PM In reply to

editgeezer:

Yes, looks like this is the answer - I´m in a 30 fps project and get the same result as you - good solid nerd investigation! 

Yay! This makes me so happy!

• Thu, Mar 14 2019 10:50 PM In reply to

LOL good work Sherlock!

camoscato:

editgeezer:

Yay! This makes me so happy!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller