Latest post Fri, Sep 24 2010 7:19 PM by Kevin Klimek. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 5:19 PM

• addinski
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Erfurt, Germany
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,120

MC4 performance issues AMA

Hey,

I have serious performance problems since I upgraded to MC4 with making edits in the timeline using P2 720pn material via AMA.

Since 3.5 I realy love the ability of the top and tail trim to the next edit. I use it all the time. Now since I upgraded to MC 4.05 from 3.5.4 this became unusable for me, because it takes forever after I push the assigned key.

[EDIT] I did a few more tests and experienced other sluggish performances compared to 3.5. One other example is the slow! redraw of a bin full of AMA P2 clips in script view if I open or save one.

[EDIT 2] I did even more tests. I think it is AMA related. If I disable AMA and use the Import P2 option everything is smooth and perfectly fine.

[EDIT 3] just checked my AMA logfile in my Avid FatalErrorReports folder. Seems to be a logfile error:MSP_PanasonicP2MXF  pid = 0x0 0x21021  tid = 0xb1025000  LogLevel_Error: P2MXFContainer::SetFilePath  Container File Path = (-> here appear the paths to all the MXF files in the P2 contents folder)

Here´s a little demo of whats happening:

Click here to play this video

Anyone else? Any help and suggestions are appreciated... Thx.

Andre.

MAC OS X 10.11.6 AVID MC 2018.3 + Avid Mbox Pro 3 MACBOOKPRO 15" Retina, i7 2.66 GHz Quadcore, 16GB Ram Dell UltraSharp U2711 Sony FS5 & Alpha... [view my complete system specs]

Honestly I hate editing.

Filed under: , , , , , ,
  • Wed, Apr 28 2010 10:05 PM In reply to

• Pope
    • Not Ranked
    • Portland, OR
    • Posts 23
    • Points 280

Re: MC4 performance issues AMA

I think it's because you're editing AMA on a MacBook.Even with Adrenaline, we had some latency issues with AMA-linked material. Nitris DX functions as a hardware decoder and accelerator, so there's no problem there.

To test this theory, transcode a group of your AMA media to whatever DNxHD resolution you want to be working with, and try those same edits on the same timeline. If I'm right, the root of your issue is that your MacBook  is not able to decode the 720P media from P2 through AMA.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

Avid 1 = MC 4.05 Nitris DX on MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon OS 10.5.7 Avid 2 = MC 4.02 Nitris DX on MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon... [view my complete system specs]

Brian Casey

• Thu, Apr 29 2010 12:42 AM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 6 2008
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 587
    • Points 6,995

I've had the same issue, also with 720pn P2 media using AMA on an Imac, and also on my Windows machine. Top and tail become unusable because it takes so long to update the timeline when you use it. Extracting from a sequence also takes a long time - seems to be when all the clips in the sequence move. I guess that involves changing all the timecodes for clips along the sequence (and short sequences have less latency than long ones), but I'm not sure why AMA media would take longer to update than normal media.

Are you saying that with DX hardware that latency vanishes? Or is just lessened? I wonder if faster/more processors make a difference?

It's frustraing that AMA media has this problem. Consolidating overnight is a good option, changing workflow to accomodate the lag is possible. But wouldn't it be great if AMA footage worked just as responsively as media within the Avid Media folders?

cheers

Campbell

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 29 2010 8:49 AM In reply to

• addinski
    • Not Ranked
    • Erfurt, Germany
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,120

Thanks so much for your help. But the Macbook is perfectly fine of handling large sequences in MC3.5. I rolled back to 3.5.4 and it works like a charme! I also tried a complete new project, new user settings, new P2 material, that was never used in AMA before. Same problem. It is MC4 related... Transcoding would be an option, sure, turning off AMA and just link to the P2 also works fine, but AMA is so sweet and fast. I would realy love to stay within that time and space efficient workflow. Thx.

Andre.

MAC OS X 10.11.6 AVID MC 2018.3 + Avid Mbox Pro 3 MACBOOKPRO 15" Retina, i7 2.66 GHz Quadcore, 16GB Ram Dell UltraSharp U2711 Sony FS5 & Alpha... [view my complete system specs]

Honestly I hate editing.

• Thu, Apr 29 2010 9:49 AM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 587
    • Points 6,995

Just to clarify - when you use AMA in MC 3.5.4 you have no problem with top and tail lag. But when you use AMA in MC 4 you do have a problem.

And if you use the old link to P2 it works fine in either version.

So something has changed in AMA between MC 3.5.4 and MC 4. Right?

I skipped MC 3.5.4, so went from everything going fine with linking to P2 in MC3.1, to having AMA lag in MC4.

cheers

Campbell

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 29 2010 11:28 AM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,249
    • Points 30,390

What is your "Quality Monitor" setting (that little green/yellow button on the bottom left of the timeline)?  I have found that by backing it down to Green/Yellow or even full yellow draft mode I get far better editing performance via AMA.  That said, I try to avoid doing a realy "mission critical" editing with AMA as I feel it's still a bit too flaky to bank a client's gig on.  Just MHO...

sw

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Thu, Apr 29 2010 12:01 PM In reply to

• addinski
    • Not Ranked
    • Erfurt, Germany
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,120

@ Campbell: right. AMA in 3.5.4 is super sweet! NO problems. And if I turn of AMA in MC4 and use the "old" method Link to P2 everything is fine. But everytime I reopen the project I have to do the link procedure again. Not so handy...

@ switthaus: already tried it, but that doesn´t matter. I think AMA has a problem with the linking to the actual MXF P2 files in the contents folder, not with the videofiles itself...

Thx again for helping!

Andre.

Honestly I hate editing.

• Fri, Apr 30 2010 4:37 PM In reply to

Since a couple of you are reporting it, I sent it on to Avid.  Hopefully someone will comment back soon.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Apr 30 2010 7:45 PM In reply to

• addinski
    • Not Ranked
    • Erfurt, Germany
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,120

Kevin thank you so much!

Honestly I hate editing.

• Fri, Apr 30 2010 8:38 PM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 587
    • Points 6,995

Thanks Kevin!

• Sat, May 8 2010 1:11 PM In reply to

• Pete_G
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 7 2010
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,045

Just to say that I'm having exactly the same problems, and I've seen some other posts to this effect. I'm on MC 4.0.5 on an HP 8730w. Everything is as smooth as silk except for extract/lift with P2 files and AMA. I'm not using tail trim.

HP Z800,6 Core Xeon, nVidia Quadro FX3800, 12GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64, MC7.0.3 / HP 8730W Laptop,T9600 Core 2 Duo, nVidia Quadro FX2700M, 8Gb RAM, Win... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 10 2010 7:47 AM In reply to

• addinski
    • Not Ranked
    • Erfurt, Germany
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,120

Hey Pete,

thanks for sharing your experiences and joining this post. I´m still waiting on a respone from Avid on this issue. Why did we pay for an upgrade, that is unusable? I´m still back at 3.5.4 smooth and easy but I want MC4 and 5 off course without this buggy AMA.

Andre.

Honestly I hate editing.

• Mon, May 10 2010 10:03 AM In reply to

• Pete_G
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 7 2010
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,045

Thanks Andre,

I am going to email Avid support about this issue too. Just for the record one thing I have noticed about this problem is detailed in an extract from my email below:

"In my project I have mainly P2 files, being accessed via AMA but I also have quite a lot of regular mxf files created from Quicktimes, so I created a "dummy" test edit using only these files, the test edit was over three hours duration. It exhibited NONE of the extract/lift issues that the edit containing P2/AMA files did, EXCEPT that if I had my P2 SELECTS edit in the Player window, then the NON-P2 edit would hang after extract/lift operation, if I cleared the play monitor, the same edit would NOT hang."

I too hope that they fix this, I don't want to upgrade to version 5 only to find this problem still with us.

HP Z800,6 Core Xeon, nVidia Quadro FX3800, 12GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64, MC7.0.3 / HP 8730W Laptop,T9600 Core 2 Duo, nVidia Quadro FX2700M, 8Gb RAM, Win... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 10 2010 10:45 AM In reply to

• addinski
    • Not Ranked
    • Erfurt, Germany
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,120

Thanks Pete.

Same here. What bothers me is that, if I turn off AMA in the settings and use the "old" link to P2 it works totaly fine! So I think we can realy say it´s the AMA route, that causes the issue, not the P2 files themselve.

I pray to editing god Avid, that this won´t be happening in MC5...

Honestly I hate editing.

• Mon, May 10 2010 11:29 AM In reply to

Hi there,

I just have another AMA-issue: Exporting QuickTime-References from AMA-Mounted (p2-)files is NOT possible. When I Import the clips the old way (Import -> P2 -> Media to Bin) I can export a QT-Reference. But then there is another problem: The QT-Reference says, that the CoDec is DVCPRO and not DVCPROHD, so I have no picture again.

Workaround is: Transcode / Consolidate to DNxHD to external drive where it can be archived, then make the QT-Reference. Not a really handy workflow. It takes so much time...

regards,

thommes

MacPro EightCore AVID Symphony Nitris MacPro QuadCore AVID MC 5.5 PowerMac G4 733 Meridien 1 AVID MC 10.6 ppc601e AVID Filmcomposer version 5 on NuVista... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller