Latest post Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:12 PM by bwilhelm. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 6 2010 6:21 PM

• floppyd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 17 2008
    • Richmond, Virginia
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,085

SD 29.97 with 2:3 into HD 23.98 timeline question

So I have a client who is offlining HD - 1080sF/23.98 with DNxHD 115.

There is some archival footage which is SD with a rock solid 2:3 cadence, already digitized as a uncompressed QuickTime.

I am trying to use the "2:3 Pulldown" removal in the Motion Effect editor and failing miserably.

Because I am in a 1080 (HD) project, when I import the QT, it either scales it to pillarboxed HD, or keeps it postage-stamped in the middle of the raster.   I believe that's what is throwing off the 2:3 removal.

Has anyone ever gotten SD 29.97 (with consistent rock-solid 2:3) into a HD 23.98 sequence in an HD 23.98 project successfully?    I would assume that the ability to do just that would have been one of the main reasons behind a mixed frame rate timeline - but no matter what I do I can't remove it.

Here are the steps I am trying.

1080p/23.98 project

Import SD 29.97 QT (tried all of the import options)

Change 'Field Motion' in the Bin to 'Interlaced'

Drop into HD 23.98 sequence. 

Open up Motion Effect Editor and Promote.

Change 'Source' to 'Film with 2:3 Pulldown'  (try auto-detect or manually try all the cadences)

Change Output to 'Progressive'

No matter what it still has interlacing artefacts and I can't get back to the original progressive picture.

The next thing I'm going to try is changing the project to a NTSC/24p project first before importing the QT, but I don't see how that should make a difference.   If anyone has the 'recipe' for doing this correctly, please please let me know.

Any help is most appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

-Scott

• Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:12 PM In reply to

• bwilhelm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 19 2009
    • Avid (Burlington, MA)
    • Posts 158
    • Points 2,055
    • Avid Employee

Re: SD 29.97 with 2:3 into HD 23.98 timeline question

Scott,
    I would recommend importing the SD 2:3 footage into an SD 29.97 project.
    Flip the "Field Motion" of those clips to "2:3 Film".
    Then use those clips directly in your 1080p23 project/sequence.
    The applied motion adapters should automatically determine the cadence and remove pulldown for you.
    Let us know if that still doesn't work.
    Bruce

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller