Latest post Wed, Mar 17 2010 9:51 PM by Larry Rubin. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 16 2010 1:25 PM

• dlampy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 16 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 45

Clip play back timing problem

I'm not sure if this workflow had anything to do with this, but here's the jist. 

I worked in FCP due to a client having all their media on a 2TB drive.  I wanted to make this porject look better so I brought it into Media Composer via P2 SAS import.  This worked fine.  I then decided Avid was not sufficient for my titling graphics needs thus exported a QT ref file.  The ref. did not work as DVCPro HD.  Not sure why.  Screen was black audio was there. 

I used DNXHD instead.  It worked and looks great.  In AE I make my awesome graphics as I usually do and then render.  I used DNXHD of course.  Now I've been at 29.97 720p thus far.  Since I know I'm going to SD I make an SD comp in AE and scale down the project, then render.  It's 4X3 with letter box.  It looks and sounds pretty good.  Now I bring the OMF from FCP into Digital Performer.  Damn this takes time.  I need a DS again.  Anyway, I make some audio tweeks and bounce.  

So now I'm left with a QT file high rez and a mix.  I use QT pro to blend them together, extracting the old audio and adding the new.  Playback in QT is fine. I even export the file and yousend it to the client.  The client is happy.  More than happy extatic.  They love it, ok they like it a lot.  

Time to output.  Since Avid is the only hardware I have available I inport the SD file into a 30i project.  Here's where the fristration begins.  The other stuff was just typical workflow except forking in FCP, that was frustating.

I load the clip, hit play, and it looks great sounds great, but half way through the audio is about 1-2 seconds off.  The audio seems to start fine but then slowly starts to lag.  Not fun. 

After many re-renders and thoughts of self doubt.  I simply start a new project and import and the file works.  I lay back never to think of this problem again, until now.  Now I want to know what the heck and hell I did wrong for this file to playback in this evil way. 

Anyone have an answer??

I'm on a Mac, intel, new one.  Fast as ever.  Plenty of ram, no problems, it's a beauty. 

Thanks.

Dlampy.

• Wed, Mar 17 2010 9:51 PM In reply to

Re: Clip play back timing problem

I'll take a stab at this since no one else has, and we had similar issues in the past. First, however:

dlampy:
    Time to output.  Since Avid is the only hardware I have available I inport the SD file into a 30i project.  Here's where the fristration begins...I load the clip, hit play, and it looks great sounds great, but half way through the audio is about 1-2 seconds off.  The audio seems to start fine but then slowly starts to lag.

I'm going to assume that you mean you are performing a digital cut (print to tape). Two things that were issues for us:

1) Believe it or not, running the Avid screens at resolutions other than 1280 x 1024.

2) Faulty gen lock (sync reference) connection. Do you have a stand alone black burst box (most Avids were delivered with Sigma boxes)? If so, is your sync lock in Avid set for "reference" rather than "internal"? Do you also have a gen lock signal going to your recording deck and is it set for "external reference"?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller