Latest post Sun, Jun 13 2010 5:23 PM by Thomas Erichsen. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 1 2010 3:02 PM

• J_R
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 1 2010
    • London
    • Posts 13
    • Points 150

HDCAM EX EDL timecode problem

I'm trying to create an edl of a sequence of selected parts of a large set of inrterviews all shot on hdcam ex in a 25p project on Avid MC version 4.0.2 on a Mac.

When I output to EDL manager the source time code is not the same as the TC1 that is in the bin or when I look at the file in clipbrowser. For example the first clip on my time line is from BAL_0002_01 the sequence time code is correct (01:00:00:00) but the source time code is 00:04:35:12 in the EDL, whereas the start timecode on TC1 of the clip is actually 01:08:49:19. 

The error is uniform in that the time code that is in the EDL is the elapsed time from the start of the clip, or what would have been the control track if this were from a tape source. In my example the frame from BAL_0002_01 at 01:08:49:19 is 04:35:12 in from the start of the clip). The time codes remain correct like this even when the clip is taken from a master clip that is made up of multiple files (spanned or merged clips) the elapse time runs from the start of the first clip.

The media in the project is both imported (rewrapped MXF) files created via clipbrowser using export for NLE or Avid AAF and clips comming from mounted AMA volumes. It makes no difference the same error crops up.

I can change the edl settings thus asking it to make the EDL from different TC tracks in different EDL formats and the problem is consistent making me think that this is a problem with the AAF that avid exports on the way into EDL manager.

The EDL is not being used as a way of re-conforming the sequence on another platform. What I need to do is us the information as part of a database of useful parts of a huge number of testimony interviews for a large multi media programme.

Has anyone else come across this problem? is it a known bug?

System 1: Avid MC 7.0.2, MacBook Pro 17" 2.2GHz Intel Core i7. OSX10.9.1. System 2: What ever gets hired for me. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 1 2010 4:38 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,243
    • Points 27,700
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: HDCAM EX EDL timecode problem

EDLs and EDL manager require a tape name, so I wouldn't consider this a bug, a tape wasn't used. You might be able to modify the clips and add a tape name, but this is very dangerous as it will change the ability to relink the little media that can be relinked.

You can right click on a sequence or bin and get information on it. But I can't think of an easy method to get the information you're looking for.

Is there any reason you didn't use AMA?

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:08 PM In reply to

• J_R
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 1 2010
    • London
    • Posts 13
    • Points 150

BobRusso:

EDLs and EDL manager require a tape name, so I wouldn't consider this a bug, a tape wasn't used. You might be able to modify the clips and add a tape name, but this is very dangerous as it will change the ability to relink the little media that can be relinked.

I thought about modifying the clips but am well aware of the danger of this and in a project that is as large as this one that could be storing up huge problems for later.

BobRusso:

Is there any reason you didn't use AMA?

We started off rewrapping the clips as the project started before the AMA method was released.

Now all the clips brought into the project come via AMA but the same problem exists. I just checked another sequence in a different project that contains only AMA clips and when I create an EDL the same mis-match in time code exists.

The reason for me wanting to do this is to save large amounts of time. The project is for a museum with many spin offs like a web site, TV pieces and a feature length doc. We have already 200+ interviews each normally over an hour long, non of which is in english. I have built a usable database for the entire clips that allows non avid users to search for a particular clip. But I need to find a way of directing them to a particualr section of a clip so I don't have to write the TC for a section down manualy. I have esentially done a sync selection sequence with a short section of black beween each clip and was hoping to generate an edl so I could build a database of these important pieces of the interviews.

Anyone have any ideas how I could do this?

This leads me to a second question. If I take a cut of a reel of the feature length doc to a different finishing system which isn't part of the Avid family. Will the system be able to re-conform the sequence just from this control track/elapse time information?

System 1: Avid MC 7.0.2, MacBook Pro 17" 2.2GHz Intel Core i7. OSX10.9.1. System 2: What ever gets hired for me. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 17 2010 6:02 PM In reply to

• clane
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 16 2010
    • chicago, IL
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Guys hello,

J_R... I am curious if you ever solved this problem of the missing source TC in your EDL's.

I am experiencing the same problem with an EDL from a project originated on P2 media.

Original Format: Pana P2 1080p/23.976 -- Imported via AMA

Offline Transcode: Avid Media Composer 4.0.5 on a Macpro -- 30i project -- DV25 Master clips & subclips --

NOW... that we are getting ready to send an EDL to the Finish Editor... (who only cares about source TC) we cannot get EDL Manager to display source TC. What it shows in place of source TC is apparently a Frame counter I think.

We have done tests of giving the footage a Tape Name using "Modify" and then "Set Source." And have gotten nowhere essentially. The "Modify & Set Source" deal works only with non transcoded media... as in with a 1080p/23.976 project. But as soon as we transcode anything... the "Modify Tape Name deal gives us an

"exception: SMReturnTapeMobOffset: source Mob editrate (30) does not match tc editrate (24)."

we are going to keep trying, btu we really want to avoid the "Pen & Paper"  method.

any thoughts

any workarounds?

thanks

clane

MacPro 8core / OS 10.6 / Media Composer 4.0.5 (software only) / [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 13 2010 5:23 PM In reply to

curiosity bump? right now i am wondering what will happen to alexa clips and how to create an edl of a sequence...

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN7 64bit Pro [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller