Latest post Thu, Feb 11 2010 8:27 AM by jwrl. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 10 2010 4:41 PM

• strauss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 10 2010
    • Posts 3
    • Points 55

AVID Pan and Zoom

It took me some time but I figured out how to apply the pan and zoom using the links and tutorials from these forums.  am finding one more problem I've been trying to fix for the last day.

How do I smoothly zoom in and pan without the image jumping or lines moving through it?

Thanks,

Strauss

Filed under: , , , , , ,
  • Wed, Feb 10 2010 4:45 PM In reply to

• strauss
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 55

Re: AVID Pan and Zoom

The problem from checking again looks to be the fields moving/shifting while I am zooming in on the picture. How can I improve the zoom with minimal shimmer?

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 5:26 PM In reply to

• jakeheat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 491
    • Points 5,905

In the Pan & Zoom Effect Editor select 'Avid Ultra Quality' under the 'Filtering' menu.

If it's still flickering, then check that you're not using a low res image.

Media Composer 2018.9 MacPro 6 core - 32 GB RAM - OS:10.13.6 3.33Ghz iMacs, Macbook Pros. BM, AJA, Matrox After Effects, etc [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 6:39 PM In reply to

What you're seeing is called "moire" (pronounced: more-ay)

If the image has lots of fine detail in it such as grass or stripes or other lines close together, you'll see that.  The best way to lessen that is to apply a slight gaussian blur to the image.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 9:49 PM In reply to

• strauss
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 55

Thank you for the assistance, it sure helped solve my problem.

My two boss has been asking me how to add the pan and zoom effect without having to open the image from the desktop. He wants to be able to take the image from the bin and apply the effect. Is there another way to carry out the pan and zoom with out having to locate the source image off the desktop? And why does AVID make us apply their pan and zoom this way?

These may seem like silly questions but I'd appreciate the input.
    Thanks.

Filed under: , , , , , , ,
  • Wed, Feb 10 2010 9:52 PM In reply to

• Solopost
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • California
    • Posts 1,566
    • Points 18,050

"Is there another way to carry out the pan and zoom with out having to locate the source image off the desktop?"

If you import the image into Avid, regardless of image quality, it is imported at 72dpi (I believe) which is video quality and locked at the video frame size.

When locating sources- Avid references to the external source image so that you can maintain the high quality of the original image without sacrificing the ability to utilise the effect to it's full capabilities.

"And why does AVID make us apply their pan and zoom this way?"

See above.

SYS# 1- MC6.5 Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core Intel 3.2Ghz 18Gb Ram OS 10.7.5 2Tb storage (mixed SATA/1394/1394b) SYS# 2- MC6.5 Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (mid-2009) 4Gb... [view my complete system specs]

My Two Cents .02
    Kent Brockman

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 10:11 PM In reply to

Solopost:
    it is imported at 72dp

dpi doesn't matter in video. 

But what does happen when you import a still image is it gets crammed into the video frame size, so panning and zooming the clip degrades the quality.  But, by "linking" to the original hi-res image (which is larger than your video frame size, you can zoom and pan without losing image quality.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 10:23 PM In reply to

• jakeheat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 491
    • Points 5,905

strauss:
    He wants to be able to take the image from the bin and apply the effect. Is there another way to carry out the pan and zoom with out having to locate the source image off the desktop?

Create a folder on your desktop, store all your pictures in it. Then think of it as an 'honorary' Bin.

This way, when ever you add a Pan & Zoom, the Effect's option will direct you straight to that folder - rather than having to go into your Project window and open up the Avid Bin that contains your pics.  

Once you learn to work this way, you may actually find it faster than having to import and store hundreds of pictures in your Project. 

Media Composer 2018.9 MacPro 6 core - 32 GB RAM - OS:10.13.6 3.33Ghz iMacs, Macbook Pros. BM, AJA, Matrox After Effects, etc [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Thu, Feb 11 2010 3:24 AM In reply to

• Solopost
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • California
    • Posts 1,566
    • Points 18,050

Kenton.. my point was not that the imported image is 72dpi, which is what the equivalent dpi of video is in graphic form, but that if you want to p&z a 300dpi image using p&z (which references the original file) keeps the quality of the original image- as opposed to degrading the quality (which becomes the equivalent of 72dpi).

SYS# 1- MC6.5 Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core Intel 3.2Ghz 18Gb Ram OS 10.7.5 2Tb storage (mixed SATA/1394/1394b) SYS# 2- MC6.5 Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (mid-2009) 4Gb... [view my complete system specs]

My Two Cents .02
    Kent Brockman

• Thu, Feb 11 2010 3:33 AM In reply to

gotcha.  Sorry

• Thu, Feb 11 2010 8:27 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,385
    • Points 97,005

Solopost:
    72dpi ... is what the equivalent dpi of video is in graphic form
    NO IT IS NOT!!!!!  The whole concept of a dpi figure for graphics only applies to the print world.  It has absolutely no meaning whatsoever for video.

If that were not the case an NTSC monitor would be a fixed size, and would be a different size to a PAL monitor.  A PAL 4x3 monitor would be 8 inches high by 10.67 inches wide (13 inch diagonal), and an NTSC monitor would be 6.75 inches high by 9 inches wide (11 inch diagonal).  Since that patently isn't the case, it should be obvious that video does not have a 72 dpi resolution.

The explanation I've been given for that figure is as follows.  When taking an image from TV, press artists used to work with a figure of 72 dpi.  Any smaller figure looked too soft to print, and anything larger resulted in an image that was too small to use.

The number of pixels high by the number of pixels wide is the only way to describe a television frame.  Otherwise we wouldn't call HD 1080 we'd call it 160 dpi (135 in the PAL world, based on a 72 dpi SD frame).

I'll leave it up to anyone interested enough to work out the 720 equivalents.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller