Latest post Sat, Mar 9 2019 2:15 PM by tbmcisp. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 8 2010 1:06 AM

• CofB-TV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Bloomington MN
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,485

Converting OMF media to MXF on existing direct attached storage

We have a existing edit system that we are planning to replace the direct attached storage.

We have been using MXF for all media creation since MC started to offer it.

What I would like to do is find ALL OMF files on our existing storage and if we still want it available for editing in the future, convert it to MXF so I can get rid of the OMF related folders and streamline how the system is working. There is probably dozens of files on the storage that are old enough to still be OMF. But I can't seem to figure out a way to list them in the bins and if I could display them, how would I convert them?

We hope to have much larger than 200GB drives like we were limited to with OMF. If we move all to MXF, I hope to have a couple of 1TB drives to store the media on. This would be using a new 4TB G-Tech G-Speed ES array.

Thanks

Grant

System #1 HP z800 Workstation dual 6 core CPU Win 7 64bit 12GB of RAM with Nitrix DX - Media Composer 6.5.4 - 8Gbit Fibre Channel Client on Facilis TerrablockSystem... [view my complete system specs]

System #1 HP z800 Workstation dual 6 core CPU Win 7 64bit 12GB of RAM with Nitrix DX

System #2 HP z800 Workstation dual 6 core CPU Win 7 64bit 12GB of RAM with Nitrix DX

• Fri, Jan 8 2010 1:59 AM In reply to

Re: Converting OMF media to MXF on existing direct attached storage

The conversion is done via the Consolidate/Transcode option.  Confirm that your Media Creation settings are MXF, and the transcode will will convert them.

OMF media is stored in the folder(s) OMFI MediaFiles.  MXF media is stored in the folder(s) Avid MediaFiles\MXF\x (x = a number)

A fast way to isolate the OMF media would be to temporarily rename the Avid MediaFiles folder(s), by just adding an "x" to the name.  This will hide all MXF media from Avid.  Launch Avid.  Launch the Media Tool.  Choose "All Projects" and "Master Clips".  The results will be only OMF media.  Sort on the Project Column.  Decide what you want to convert, and what you want to delete.  The deletion can be done here.

Once you have the remaining OMF media, do the Transcode.

The transcoded media will have created a new Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1.  Rename the "1" folder to another number that doesn't conflict, and add it to one of the original Avid MediaFiles\MXF\x structures.

Delete the (now empty) Avid MediaFiles\MXF\ structure.  Remove the "x" from the other Avid MediaFiles folder(s).

And, yes, MXF is no longer limited to the old recommendation of 200-250GB volumes, as was OMF.  The numbered sub-folders eliminated this issue.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Fri, Jan 8 2010 5:13 AM In reply to

All OMF media is still usable in current MC versions (even if the Media Type is currently set to MXF)  I don't really see a need to convert to MXF at all (unless you're just trying to tie up your system needlessly for a couple hours)

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Jan 8 2010 4:06 PM In reply to

I think he simply wants to eliminate the OMFI MediaFiles folders.  Also, if has in excess of 5,000 OMF files, converting to MXF might improve performance, as they would take advantage of the sub-folder structure, and cap the file count at 5,000 per folder.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Fri, Jan 15 2010 1:15 AM In reply to

• CofB-TV
    • Not Ranked
    • Bloomington MN
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,485

Yes, That is exactly what I am wanting to do. I know it is not required. But since I am at a point between projects and the storage is cleaned off as much as it will ever be in the near future. I think never a better time to streamline and standardize the files as the present.

Randal, I am going to follow your directions after I backup what I have. Thanks for the clear instructions.

Grant

System #1 HP z800 Workstation dual 6 core CPU Win 7 64bit 12GB of RAM with Nitrix DX - Media Composer 6.5.4 - 8Gbit Fibre Channel Client on Facilis TerrablockSystem... [view my complete system specs]

System #1 HP z800 Workstation dual 6 core CPU Win 7 64bit 12GB of RAM with Nitrix DX

System #2 HP z800 Workstation dual 6 core CPU Win 7 64bit 12GB of RAM with Nitrix DX

• Sun, Jan 15 2012 9:19 PM In reply to

I have been using AVID for quite a awhile and understand the way the media is set up.  I kind of have the same problem which I posted earlier.  I have an old AVID Project (2003).  Audio will not come back online in MC5.5.  Someone told me on another post that the audio is probably not supported in the newer version.  All that being said is there a way to convert the audio outside of Media Composer and still be able to relink to the clips in the project.

Mac Pro 6.1, OSX 10.9.5, 3.5 GHz 6-Core Xeon E5, 64 GBs 1867 MHz DDR3, 500 GBs Flash Memory, AVID ISIS 5500 Primary Engine 32TB System, 3 x 27” LG Monitors... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 15 2012 9:25 PM In reply to

Sorry for not giving enough detail.  The audio is in the OMFI MediaFiles folder and is OMF.  i keep getting the "Does not appear to be an omf file"

Thank You,

Brian

Mac Pro 6.1, OSX 10.9.5, 3.5 GHz 6-Core Xeon E5, 64 GBs 1867 MHz DDR3, 500 GBs Flash Memory, AVID ISIS 5500 Primary Engine 32TB System, 3 x 27” LG Monitors... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 9 2019 2:15 PM In reply to

• tbmcisp
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 420

I selected all my .omf files with the media tool.

I can't figure out how to transcode them ?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller