Latest post Tue, Nov 24 2009 6:24 PM by exmachina. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 19 2009 10:26 PM

• exmachina
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 8 2007
    • Posts 34
    • Points 530

entering/exiting effect mode with keyboard in MC 3.5

I'm running Media Composer v. 3.5.  When I was using Express Pro, I was able to enter AND exit effect mode by pressing ], the default key.  With MC, ] enters effect mode, but will not exit it.  I've had to use [ to enter trim mode, and then press it again to exit trim mode and get back to my normal timelime, or else I have to exit out of the effect window.  This is a very frustrating little niggle, and I wondered if anyone could help.  Assigning effect mode to different buttons doesn't make a difference.  

• Thu, Nov 19 2009 10:55 PM In reply to

• Justin_Brown
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 22 2009
    • Sunshine Coast, Australia
    • Posts 22
    • Points 310

Re: entering/exiting effect mode with keyboard in MC 3.5

I press 'Y' on the keyboard to exit Effects Mode

Windows 7 Ultimate 64, Intel i7 965, 24gb CorsAir Ram, MSI Eclipse SLI, OCZ Vertex SSD 120gb, 2x300gb WD Raptor Drives, 4x3TB WD HDD, 2x Nvidia 7800GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 20 2009 6:04 PM In reply to

• exmachina
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 34
    • Points 530

On my keyboard, Y and U go to first and last frame of the sequence.  Any other thoughts?

• Fri, Nov 20 2009 6:17 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Just Map the Effects mode button and the S/R mode button to the keys of your choice.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Nov 20 2009 6:34 PM In reply to

Y and U on my keyboard are "Go To Previous/Next Locator"  

As BLKDOG says, you can map the keyboard any way you like.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Nov 20 2009 6:36 PM In reply to

I have the Source/Record Toolset mapped to F11. That always brings me home from wherever I am, Effects Mode, CC Mode, Trim Mode, anything.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 20 2009 7:36 PM In reply to

Follow Job's example. Use your toolsets to instantly switch from one mode to the other. Customize the size and position of your tools, project window, source and record windows and timeline for any given toolset and then "save current". Further, you can attach a particular customized timeline view to a particular toolset by using the "link to current" dialog.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Nov 21 2009 6:52 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,382
    • Points 96,980

In C:\Program Files\Avid\Utilities\XpressKeyboardSettings you will find a file called XpressKeyboardSetting.avs.  See if that helps.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 24 2009 6:24 PM In reply to

• exmachina
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 34
    • Points 530

Awesome - that'll work.  I mapped Source/Record to the \ button, so at least they're next door.  Though I wish I could just use the same button like in Xpro.  Oh well.  Thanks for helping me with this tiny, but irritating issue.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller