Latest post Fri, Nov 13 2009 10:43 AM by PPavel. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:46 AM

Importing EX footage brand new question!

Hi

I have been given some EX3 footage on a hard drive and the camera man somehow converted the footage to QT .mov files because he couldn't open the usual .mp4s to see and he got scared! The QTs seem to have the 35mb/s EX codec so I think they have effectively been re-wrapped.

The problem comes with getting them into Avid. Link AMA volume does not see the QTs so I seem to be left with the option of importing them in the usual file>import way. Time consuming but should work.

However, the BBC state that they will only accept EX 35mb/s shot material IF the post production is done natively (in EX codec and no rendering back to EX codec) OR if all the work is carried out uncompressed.

My question is: If I import the files and select the EX35mb/s codec in the import menu, will Avid de-compress them and then re-compress them? If so then I am into a drawn out storage heavy offline/online!

MANY THANKS

• Thu, Nov 12 2009 9:06 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Re: Importing EX footage brand new question!

I would import it all to DnxHD and work with those clips directly, means no more transcoding in your workflow.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Nov 13 2009 10:43 AM In reply to

• PPavel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Brno, Czech Republic
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,400

Re: Importing EX footage brand new question!

The EX3 footage rewrapped to MOV are for you unusable unless you have a Mac with FCP installed. Then you can reencode the MOV to DNxHD which Avid can eat.

The better way is to use the original MP4 files. Download XDCAM EX ClipBrowser. If you have MP4 alone (not in standard SxS file structure accompanied with metada) you have to first make a SxS structure using Import clip function in ClipBrowser. Then you can rewrap thse clips to MXF. After that you can quick import them into Avid. The advantage is you retain the original MPEG2 from camera without generation loss and your media files will take less space.

PP

MC 3.0.5, Mojo, Dell 670, 2x Xeon 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX4000, Win XP SP2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller