Latest post Tue, Dec 1 2009 3:28 PM by Job ter Burg. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:49 AM

• AntonyC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 9 2009
    • Posts 38
    • Points 420

MC4 support for Snow Leopard

Hi

Can anyone from Avid give me an idea of when MCv4 will work on Snow Leopard?

I’m not after an exact date, just an idea of when that might be; I’m looking to get a new MacPro around Christmas time and am planning towards it.

Many thanks in advance

Antony

• Mon, Nov 9 2009 2:34 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: MC4 support for Snow Leopard

Antony,

It's very hard to say. It's not that we don't want to tell you guys when the qualification is coming, it's just that it such a moving target. Just when you think it's all good to go and everyone is playing happily together, someone comes up with a "Gotcha" that prevents release. So, I can tell you that we would REALLY love to have this done and released by the end of this year and that's what everyone is shooting for but, the minute I tell you that, another "Gotcha" pops up and I have to dissappoint. See how it's kind of a catch-22?

So, how about I tell you that Avid is working really hard to get a rock solid release out that runs on SL by the end of the year and we'll just all keep our fingers crossed? (then Apple will release a new version and screw up everything!)

Smile

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Nov 9 2009 7:21 PM In reply to

• chomper129
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 281
    • Points 3,635

FWIW, I have been running 4.02 on a mac pro with snow leopard for about a month now (have completed several jobs on it) without any real problems.  I know its not qualified, but it does work pretty well.  YMMV.

MC 8.8 and 10.11.6 on a 8 core Mac Pro trash can with Blackmagic studio express, ISIS 5000 at work and MC 8.8 on a Quad i7 27" iMac at home [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 9 2009 7:43 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Yep Chomper, you are pretty much the illustration of my point. We have a lot of testers in the Lab who run for weeks with no problems and then one guy over in the corner can't write back to XDCam (Like another thread here on the forums) which forces the product managers to hit the reset button.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Nov 10 2009 12:16 PM In reply to

• AntonyC
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 420

Thanks BLKDOG (a Zepplin fan I'm guessing?) & Chomper

That's great; just the answer I was looking for! Sounds like I can buy a new Mac for Christmas and won't need to buy and install Leopard, can install my Avid MC4 straight onto SL and even if the SL isn't 100% qualified by then, it'll work without any likely problems.

And thanks for your prompt replies!

• Tue, Nov 10 2009 5:02 PM In reply to

• chomper129
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 281
    • Points 3,635

Happy to help.  Just make sure you read through this thread first

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/76313.aspx

It will help you with a workaround to get your mac to see the 4.0x license

MC 8.8 and 10.11.6 on a 8 core Mac Pro trash can with Blackmagic studio express, ISIS 5000 at work and MC 8.8 on a Quad i7 27" iMac at home [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 20 2009 8:34 PM In reply to

• lunelson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, May 6 2009
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 233
    • Points 3,090

Yes it's good news and I just commented in another thread, anyone thinking of buying a new Mac right now is also in a catch 22, as configuring any Mac with a lower-version system than the factory install disc it comes with is not "Apple Recommended"...for instance you simply would not be able to install Tiger on any Mac Pros you buy right now. Leopard and Snow Leopard are more similar but if you try to run a new SL machine on Leopard you could have other problems coming up, which then will really confuse the issue of troubleshooting your Avid.

MacPro Quad2.66, ATI 3870, MC 4.0.5.13, OS 10.6.5, QT 7.6.6, 8GB RAM, 2.7TB Highpoint RAID5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 20 2009 11:30 PM In reply to

FWIW a new MacPro dual quad core brought in LA 6 weeks ago for a client here came with a Leopard install and a Snow Leopard disk in the box.  Apart from one of the CPU's freaking me out when it failed on the second startup (replaced inside 48 hours) MC 4 has flown on it.

• Sat, Nov 21 2009 8:21 AM In reply to

• lunelson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, May 6 2009
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 233
    • Points 3,090

Yeah if it came with both disks then it'll be fine; however an example of a tricky system for MC4 right now would be the latest 27 inch iMac. This computer *only* runs with a tweaked install of 10.6.1 or 10.6.2 I believe, which it ships with. YMMV but other recent systems can have similar limitations.

MacPro Quad2.66, ATI 3870, MC 4.0.5.13, OS 10.6.5, QT 7.6.6, 8GB RAM, 2.7TB Highpoint RAID5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 1 2009 2:45 PM In reply to

• AntonyC
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 420

OK, thanks.  & now for my next contraversial question, Mac O/S or Boot camp?

(I'm going to be using ProTools for my sound)

Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Dec 1 2009 3:28 PM In reply to

Why not both? I got that, makes me very flexible?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller