Latest post Thu, Sep 11 2014 1:05 AM by Thomas Vickers. 126 replies.
Page 9 of 9 (127 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 26 2014 3:55 PM In reply to

• Peter Lund
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 22 2008
    • Hamburg
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,755

Re: It´s not 1995 anymore.

switthaus:
     One has to wonder whether Avid can even get back into the middle to low ground arena and do they really want to?

i hate it to say, but i think they lost the vision. 

Or they don´t need to or they can´t but i dought that any excecutive of this comany has ever 

edited. Avid is driven by quarterly fiugures. You can´t be innovative in this situation. 

You can reduce cost but that´s it. 

But i can say what i would do after all those failures (Avid DV Xpress, Media Illusion, Avid DS, Avid 3D)

I would leave AMC as is with 75% the people that worked on it. And i would do a roadmap that is communicated with

my main clients and users. (maybe 80%, don´t know) 

The rest of the team i would devide in to groups that have to compete with each other. I would send them to costa rica and

there task would be to think about the new editing process (app, software) for the years to come.

I give them 6 month and then they have to present infront of the complete company. I would enrichen the team with

people that are freelanced. Designer, Photographer, Opninion leader, Directors , etc. (maybe an amateur too) .

That´s what BMW did way back..... 

here´s the link: http://www.ted.com/talks/chris_bangle_says_great_cars_are_art

and here the other story i like: lightroom 

it was a personal project of Mark Hamburg (i like that a lot, my town), he was facing a personal workflow problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_Lightroom

i can only hope that they have a plan b.

I love this app. It keept me in buisyness a long time. But i was able to edit bevor Avid came a long and i will , wenn they are gone.

Give me a peace of paper and i can write down what we are going to edit. And then someone else can edit it in

"Whateverneweditingappnowonlinux".

it was a long trip for me and while i was walking i kept on asking: hey, by the way we had those cool "blending modes" in Media Illusion, why can´t we have them in AMC?

Boy, it´s the details , it´s the details that sometimes matter.  

all the best 

peter 

ps: here´s where the google,apple, mobile guy´s hang arround and create new visions. 

http://www.mlove.com

its the combination of a festival and a conference for "mobil" 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Avid MC 7.0.4 /// MacBooks pro early... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 26 2014 4:00 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,361
    • Points 16,770

Peter Lund:
    The rest of the team i would devide in to groups that have to compete with each other. I would send them to costa rica and

there task would be to think about the new editing process (app, software) for the years to come.

I give them 6 month and then they have to present infront of the complete company. I would enrichen the team with

people that are freelanced. Designer, Photographer, Opninion leader, Directors , etc. (maybe an amateur too)

And if you vote people off the island once a week or so and film it, it might pay for itself. Big Smile

• Sat, Jul 26 2014 5:20 PM In reply to

• Peter Lund
    • Not Ranked
    • Hamburg
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,755

smrpix:
    And if you vote people off the island once a week or so and film it, it might pay for itself. Big Smile

i love this one, i hope someone of PBS is around, say no more , say no more .....

our own "Avid Soap Opera" , this is a brakethrough ! 

i go and get mayself a cold beer, cheers ....Smile

Peter 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Avid MC 7.0.4 /// MacBooks pro early... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 26 2014 5:33 PM In reply to

And they should cut that show using....

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 26 2014 6:24 PM In reply to

• Peter Lund
    • Not Ranked
    • Hamburg
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,755

Job ter Burg:
    And they should cut that show using....

edius 7 ? with blending modes and travaling mattes ? Big Smile

no they should use all availeble NLE´s and we make a tombola ....

at least we are taking it with humor (is that the correct idom?)

• Tue, Aug 19 2014 5:32 PM In reply to

• Jon Ross
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 17 2014
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 4
    • Points 75

I just learned if you hold down option (or add the option modifier) to select forward/right reverse/left.  then it does not select filler.  At least on MC 7.4 that is.  As a former FCP user myself.. this was the "TTT" tool from Finalcut that I desperately missed when switching back to AVID.  Anyway.... add the modifier.. it will rock your world.

• Thu, Sep 11 2014 1:05 AM In reply to

Hi Everyone-

I really wanted to chime in after lurking on these forums for awhile.  I started as an editor on Avid and Media 100 then moved to FCP when I went freelance.  About a year and a half ago, I switched back to Avid completely afte the FCPX debacle.

I wanted to wait and get completely back up to speed on the software again, before I started throwing out declarations about how this feature doesn't measure up to others.

I've cut an entire season of a series now with MC 7 and 8.  It's basically documentary style - not scripted reality.  And I really feel that there are a few changes that Avid will not adapt that leave me very frustrated.

I know that there is a lot of criticism of people who do most of their work visually in the sequence.  I get this criticism, but I've found that doing creative editing in documentary is much more intuitive and productive for me if I work that way.  It's fine to go step by step, clip by clip through a scene if it's scripted or if there's a clear paper edit.  But when you are tossed ten hours of footage, and you have to create a scene out of it, often through trial and error, then it makes sense to pile a bunch of clips on the timeline and move them around.

Frankly, every editor I know who is younger than me works in this way.  I understand why.  It's more visual.  It can feel more intuitive.  And it can be a lot of fun.

I believe that Avid could easily make these people happy with a few tweaks.  Last week I had to open up a feature documentary that had been cut on FCP a year and a half ago to pull some clips.  It was kind of stunning how much more responsive the program is to that kind of work.  The simple act of grabbing and moving a clip is just much quicker.

Obviously, I deeply love the fact that AVID does not crash five or six times a day when working on a large show.  The value of that cannot be overstated.  But I do think that most people do this work because it is deeply enjoyable and AVID could make the process more enjoyable.

I've thought a lot about it to try to figure out the most important adaptations they could make and here are the key ones.  These seem trivial but believe me, they would make a tremendous difference for people who edit the way I do:

1) Avid's "Link" function is not effective.  Here's how FCP treats linked clips - if audio and video is linked, they stay linked unless explicitly told to unlink by the user.  In FCP if someone wants to move a large segment of clips around, they simply select forward or back and move them.  With Avid, this process requires the extra step of making sure that all tracks are selected.  That extra step seems trivial, but the constant anxiety of worrying about unsyncing sections of the sequence make working in Avid far less enjoyable.

I understand that most editors on this forum are used to not having the clips linked and that there are advantages to that approach.  I would think that this explains why there is a "Link Selection Toggle" so that editors like me can work with linked clips, and that editors who are used to the standard avid method can work in that way.

Unfortunately, the Link toggle doesn't work that way.  It has a bizarre way of determining which clips are linked.  If video and audio from the same source file are anywhere near each other on the timeline, they are linked whether they were laid down at the same time, or come from the same section of source footage.  This is maddening.

Further, having linked clips doesn't in any way override the necessity of having tracks selected, which frankly kind of defeats the purpose.

If this concept could be fixed I cannot overstate the difference it would make for editors that work primarily using clips in the sequence.

2) Please fix the Smart Tool.  The smart tool as a concept should be great, and don't get me wrong, it is a huge step in the right direction.  However, it is terribly unresponsive on the timeline.  You hover and wait for it to turn from trim into the arrow icon.  Then half the time, when you then grab the clip to move it, it suddenly decides that you actually wanted to trim and starts dragging out an edit.  This is simply not refined enough.  

3) Lasso.  This seems like a terribly trivial complaint.  However, the necessity of lassoing an entire clip from the left side in order to select groups of clips is really frustrating.  In Final Cut, if the lasso square touched any part of a clip then it was selected.  It was pretty simple and I almost never had to lasso anything twice.  That's what this function shoudl be.  Something that you do without thinking about it.  Please consider this adaptation.

Again, I just want this program to improve because there is a great deal that I really appreciate.  I really appreciate not worrying about crashes constantly.  This still is the most stable program that I"ve ever edited on and that's why I want to stay on it.  I just want it to be as fun as it can be.  Because that's why I'm in this field in the first place.

Page 9 of 9 (127 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller