Latest post Sun, Apr 14 2019 3:40 AM by TrevorA. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 16 2009 4:27 PM

Source roll sequences

Could we have the option to set certain sequences to automatically load into the source monitor rather than the record monitor? Preferably with matchframing options?

On the Cow, a question came along that was similar to a question I heard from a broadcaster at IBC. With filebased acquisition, news teams now get one clip per shot, rather than the single clip with all shots the would usually get from a 1/2 inch tape recorder. They can toss all those clips into a sequence, drag the sequence into the source monitor and work from there (and they do), but they would prefer to be able to load the sequene with all clips and treat them like they were a single tape.

For features and docs, this could be beneficial as well. A roll of interview selects, a roll of selected takes or inserts. I already work this way a lot, but have to remember to drag the sequences rather than double-click them, and I cannot matchframe to them.

Thanks in advance.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 17 2009 8:55 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,677
    • Points 20,445
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Source roll sequences

Agreed this is a vital requirement with file-based media. I've got so used to using source sequences now that I find myself dragging normal clips and titles and other things to the source monitor completely unnecessarily.

I'd like to see it implemented as a virtual clip perhaps? Make a sequence, convert it to a 'Vitual Clip' and get what is basically one clip, with the ability to double-click to open in Source, and matchframe back to that source.

HP Workstations with MC 8.4 64TB EditShare XStream Storage [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Fri, Sep 18 2009 3:19 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,142
    • Points 12,925

An earlier feature request was for 'virtual tapes' thus anything digitised with the same tape name could be loaded into a source monitor and shuttled through. 

This would now be useful for xdcam clips etc.

With metadata that now comes across we could have just one virtual sequence in the source monitor - ordered by shoot time of day timecode and date, with multicam for viewing different shots at the same time - without the bind of buidling groups. 

• Sat, Sep 19 2009 4:46 AM In reply to

• itmatters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 23 2006
    • Posts 333
    • Points 4,000

Clearly we want big improvements in the area of match-framing sequences and getting the most out of file-based imports.

For a not-so-great workaround, you can take any batch of clips (file-based or otherwise) and group all of  them together by Inpoint at frame 1.

If use clear In-to-Out after Selecting All clips in Script view, there's no need to Mark any clips. A group will begin starting at each clip's first frame, when "Group by Inpoint" is chosen.

Use of that Groupclip would then allow flipping with arrows in the timeline and also match frames that will load the entire GroupClip into the source monitor, at which point you could arrow up or down to move though the clips. However, this will show a black screen if you are parked beyond the next clip's End point- requiring scrubbing earlier to see picture on a shorter clip.

This method is far less desirable than having end-to end clip "inventory" Sequences match frame back into the Source monitor, which is what i think we all want.

And please allow multi-track Sequences to somehow be turned into Groups!

• Sun, Apr 14 2019 3:40 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,142
    • Points 12,925

Reupping this thread now that DaVinci Resolve have their Cut Page option to shuttle through a bin.

The metadata is there (or can be added) let us use it to find shots. Make it easy for me to match frame to a clip then shuttle back in time on that camera, or switch to a different camera at that time, or view a multiviewer of all cameras in record at that time.

Know that the clip on cam c was shot at 100fps and work out for me where that moment in time is from the CFPS and file creation time so I don’t have to jump through calculation hoops

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller