Latest post Mon, May 11 2009 10:47 AM by PPavel. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 4 2009 11:44 PM

• Kulitz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 4 2009
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

AAF's got timecode, no media

Hi all,

I hope you can help me with an HD workflow related question,

As my system can't handle realtime HD editing, I exported my original media as RAW-DV using clipbrowser v.2

This resulted in clips that all start with 00:00:00:00TC, so I'm worried about editing this way as I probably won't be able to batch import the original media actually used.

So I tried exporting to AAF, which created sequences back on import to AVID. They all had the correct TC, but showed no media, although the clip browser did create MXF media for the sequences, and stored it on its OPATOM.files direcotry.

My question is, as it seems that this would be the only way to work on my system with recorded TC, is basically what I'm missing; is there a way to 'reconnect' the TC bearing sequence to media?

The result I'm hoping for is to be able to edit offline media with TC, so if there's a way to use the RAWDV with timecode, or understanding the use of the AAF export route, I'll be glad to know what I'm doing wrong so far.

Thanks for your help!

• Wed, May 6 2009 11:45 AM In reply to

• PPavel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Brno, Czech Republic
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,400

Re: AAF's got timecode, no media

The AAF export produces AAF files as master clips for MC's bin and MXF files suitable for MC as well. So you have to put the MXF files to \\Avid MedaFiles\MXF\ structure. It's safer to make new numbered folder and put MXF files there. Upon launching the MC creates the databases and then you have your media online. Unfortunately the master clips imported via AAF doesn't retain the Mark In and Mark Out made in Clipbrowser.

PP

MC 3.0.5, Mojo, Dell 670, 2x Xeon 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX4000, Win XP SP2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Fri, May 8 2009 9:34 PM In reply to

• Kulitz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Hi Pavel, thanks for your help,

I'm a little ahead now, but there's still this:

I have copied the OPATOM folder to the /MXF root; it seems that now the sequnces are connect to media, however, when loading the sequences I get a "WRONG FORMAT" message on my composer. So I still can't see media.

If this helps (I should have posted that sooner) - my system specifications are as follows,

MC 2.7, media shot with EX3, as PAL progressive (25fps, not 25i, I guess).

Is there any known problems with working with AAF exports on the MC 2.7? importing RAW-DV was no problem, but again, without the original TC. Also, what should be my project settings? Until now I've tried 1080/50, 1080/50i and PAL 25.

Note, that when I'm trying to import the AAF to a non-interlaced project, I get a warning that my imported interlaced clips will not work properly on this project. However, I get the "WRONG FORMAT" message in any project setting so far. So what is the definite setting I should use, to eliminate this as a possible source for the problem?

Thanks again for your help Pavel,

Others are welcome to lend a hand as well...

• Sat, May 9 2009 5:53 PM In reply to

Just to be absolutely sure, the "Avid MediaFiles" folder structure must look like this:

x:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1

x:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\2

x:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\3 ... and so on.

What Pavel wanted you to do is to create a new numbered folder, for example called "4" without the " and copy your MXF-files in there, not a folder!!!

Hope that helps, g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 9 2009 6:35 PM In reply to

• Kulitz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Thanks, g_f,

But that I did; my MediaFiles root is fine, I renamed the OPATOM (ClipBrowser .mxf export when AAFing) dir as "2" in my project (without the '"'..), and this resulted in what I wrote down in my last post; my MC 2.7 creates a database for the media, and now - instead of getting a "MEDIA OFFLINE" message (before I got my .MXF root properly) - I'm getting a "WRONG FORMAT" message.

So my question remains as to,

what is the definite project setting I need to establish before trying any exports/work;

If my .MXF structure is proper, what is it that I'm missing with the AAF export, besides what I've done so far;

Is my system/MC version even capable of working this way, as far as codecs, etc;

And still just plain looking for a way to convert my HD media into a working /offline workflow import, which retains original TC for future batch importing...

Thanks for everyone who's helping.

Guy

• Mon, May 11 2009 10:47 AM In reply to

• PPavel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Brno, Czech Republic
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,400

I didn't read your system specification. I think the first support for XDcam EX files first appeared in version 2.8. I remember testing it in that version. You should be eligible to upgrade to this version for free from 2.7.

PP

MC 3.0.5, Mojo, Dell 670, 2x Xeon 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX4000, Win XP SP2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller