Latest post Tue, Mar 31 2009 7:58 AM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 28 2009 4:10 PM

Where does Avid store media relinking information?

People,

Does someone know where does Avid store those info? I have faced relinking issues many times, have passed through the deleting databases routine, have been obligated to recapture material which had already been captured, have relinked clips to sequences one by one through "relink to selected"...

I would love if someone could explain me where exactely Avid searches for the information when I try to relink stuff. Very often, I have clips and media with the same tape and timecode, but it doesn't relink. Why that?

thank you

PC Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 2.40Ghz, 3Gb of RAM Windows XP 32 NVidia GeForce 7600GT using onboard audio card (SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio) [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Sat, Mar 28 2009 4:42 PM In reply to

Re: Where does Avid store media relinking information?

Basically in these database files, i guess. And the database files are built by metadata, collected thru' tape name, timecode, or filename, creation date (just to name a few) and there must be a connection to the unique *.mxf & *.omf-filenames, too. How else could the databse be restored when deleted? I think what can be shown as "headings" in a bin or the media tool is obviously the main metadata collected by MC.

But I doubt that you can find such info in plain text. Btw: open the databases with a text editor. I can't test it right now by myself, but I think in there will be just a mess of code.

Gabriel Parente:
    I would love if someone could explain me where exactely Avid searches for the information when I try to relink stuff.

In the databases, quite sure. The same thing what you can do manually by choosing a clip in a bin and click File (?) -> Reveal media file. Just that before relinking media seems to be offline 'though it is existant. The App then recreates thet connection between meta- and mediadata.

OMG, I'm just guessing but quite interesting!

g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 28 2009 5:22 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

I'm not quite sure why you have offline media on such a regular basis. It's important to note that Avid stores all its media in very specific places, ie: Avid Media Files and/or OMFI Media Files folders. If you take media out of those locations, the Avid will not see it at all.

If your workflow is somehow knocking clips offline, then we should start with reevaluating that first. I deal with feature films and television shows with 10s or hundreds of hours of footage, and I almost NEVER have to relink anything.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 28 2009 5:45 PM In reply to

conleec:
    why you have offline media on such a regular basis

Who said that? 

conleec:
    with 10s or hundreds of hours of footage, and I almost NEVER have to relink anything

Relinking can be necessary when transfering projects to a new machine and working with networkdisks and sandboxes.

I know from the past (those days when Avid just knew *.omf) that having more then 10.000 files in the OMFI-folder could corrupt the databases. But I agree totally with you, when you say "don't screw within the database folders"! I once had to do it because P2 footage went offline, but with 50-50 success. 

I took the starting question "Where does Avid store media relinking information?" more as an intellectual one, thinking about it so maybe I can understand sth. what helps me out in the future. 

Gabriel Parente:
    Very often, I have clips and media with the same tape and timecode, but it doesn't relink.

What options/settings do you tick/untick when trying to relink?

g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 29 2009 11:40 PM In reply to

Yeah, my question is more intellectual I guess.

Trust me: in the situations I had the problems, I've tried everything, checking and unchecking every combinations of radiobuttons.

But actually I am more interested in the low-level information related to Avid's databasis, bin structure and MXF metadata. How can I actually SEE and MANIPULATE it? That would be useful in creating local solutions to apparently unsolvable situations, mostly issueing broken links between bins, sequences and media.

Does anyone have a heavier-weight explanation on the topic?

thanks, folks, for your answers

PC Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 2.40Ghz, 3Gb of RAM Windows XP 32 NVidia GeForce 7600GT using onboard audio card (SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio) [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 30 2009 1:40 AM In reply to

Avid uses MOB's, or Media Objects.  This is also now being referred to as MetaData.  Everything is based on them.  If you create a Master Clip, in contains things like Project Name, Clip Name, Start & End TC, etc.  When you capture it, more data is added, e.g., Tape Name, Resolution, FPS, Audio Sample Rate, Current Location, etc.  Both the Master Clip and the Media file have their own MOB's that relate to each other.

You can use a Media File to generate new Master Clip information in the Bin, e.g., by using the Media Tool to locate the clip, and dragging it into a Bin.  You can also drag the .mdb file into a bin to recreate the Master Clips.  The information used to do this is contained in the Media File MOB.

You can use a Master Clip to recapture a Media File, or reimport a graphic image, and it will be exactly the same as the original.

If you Set Bin Display and select more objects, you can reveal more MOB data.

Additionally, all the clip information is referenced in the Sequence MOB.  So, a Sequence can be Decomposed to reveal every clip and element used, which in turn can used to Batch Capture or Batch Import the media.

There are 2 basic Relinking options.  One is used to relink the Media Files to their Master Clips.  The other is used to relink Master Clips to a Sequence.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Mar 31 2009 12:25 AM In reply to

Thanks a lot Randall.

Do you know how do I get to these MOB's, or MetaData, inside the files (MXF and BIN), without Avid? Can I alter it from outside the NLEs? Can I extract these info out of the binary code, and change it? If so, I could maybe develop a small aplication to help me solve small relinking problems (maybe it even already exists...). Would that be legal? Does anyone know?

thanks guys

• Tue, Mar 31 2009 7:58 AM In reply to

Have you ever played around with MDV. Its a small app I use to check where the media is of my projects. It's like the media tool but more advanced. I use it if I have to move projects or clean up. I never tried if it was any help when I had to relink. I don't know if it would do the trick for you, but its free anyway.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller