Latest post Tue, Sep 29 2009 9:09 PM by Stephen Hull. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 14 2009 2:06 AM

• ranger521
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2009
    • Posts 12
    • Points 175

media offline

we have been having a problem at work on this new system of media showing to be offline after injest from p2 or tape.  I noticed that the drives that we select to send the video to are changing letters.  The projects drive is supposed to be (M) and the video drive is supposed to be (N).  we are supposed to select video (N) when sending the video from p2 to interplay.  But, the video link is changing to (O) and projects link is changing to (N).  The editors are selecting (N) if it says projects or video but when it says projects the video shows to be offline.  The video link is staying 'bold' no matter if it is (N) or (O).  I haven't  tried sending to video (O) to see if that works.  But why is the drive or link letters changing?  I can reboot the newscutter computer and it comes back up right.

Filed under: ,
  • Sun, Mar 15 2009 6:10 PM In reply to

• lawsonr
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 8 2006
    • CBS News
    • Posts 313
    • Points 3,655

Re: media offline

You're posting this in an Interplay forum, so there are a few things to be aware of.

#1 - the drive letters of your mounted Unity workspaces don't really matter. They will change as you mount and unmount workspaces. What's important are the workspace names - those will be consistent.

#2 - make sure that your Media Indexer settings are correct. I hope you have a Unity/Interplay administrator on staff who can check this out.

How are you ingesting and/or importing this P2 footage?

Avid NewsCutter v10.5.4, ISIS 7000 v4.6.1, Interplay 2.7, Interplay Central 1.8 [view my complete system specs]

--- Rob Lawson System Administrator, ACSR CBS News

Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Mar 16 2009 1:54 AM In reply to

• ranger521
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 175

Why would the letters change?  I thought it was like any other link or mapping, that the projects folder was given 'M' and video was assigned 'N'.  I am one of the administrators fresh out of the Avid week class and there are some things that are confusing.  I don't work with this everyday because I am in Engineering at our station.  The news dept. has a couple of administrators too that do the deleting each day.  I believe the MI settings are right.  I am not involved in the injesting but I believe that they create a name for the injest then insert the p2 then go file>import clip to bin then import to media.  like I stated, the names of the folders aren't changing but their mapped drive letter is.  And, the video folder name (map location) stays bold letters no matter if it is 'N' or 'O'.  But, when you reboot the newscutter computer it straightens out to projects (M) and video (N). 

• Sun, Mar 22 2009 9:58 PM In reply to

• Mercedes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 31 2006
    • Dublin, Ireland
    • Posts 57
    • Points 615

If you mount the drives in the correct order (the first time) in the ISIS client window and select them to remount then you can ensure that the workspaces appear with the correct letters at each subsequent login.  Would this help?

Mercedes

Client Operating system : XP pro SP2 Client Avid version : 3.1.1.1 QT 7.5.5 Adrenaline Sys info: CPU :xw8200 4GB ram Interplay 1.5 ISIS 2.0.1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 23 2009 5:15 AM In reply to

• ranger521
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 175

I think I found our problem.  I discovered that when the system was set up that another workspace was created for promotion dept.  It was called creative services.  when the guys in news would restart the newscutter computers sometimes the workspaces do not connect on their own.  So, they would have to mount the workspaces and when they call up the window to select what to mount they were selecting all instead of just the workspaces news was to use.  With the names listed alphabetically creative services was being selected first which made the news workspaces change drive letters.  Now where the clips that were imported went to when the drive letters changed is another question.

• Tue, Sep 29 2009 9:09 PM In reply to

• Stephen Hull
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 420

I know this was some time ago but just now read it and wanted to contribute.

We are a post house using P2 and tape (mostly tape).  When we connect either a drive with P2 media on it or the P2 reader, Windows assigns a drive letter to each P2 card; straight forward enough.  However I found that the startup scripts on our systems have drive mappings that will replace the P2 "drive" with the one from the script.  So if i have a P2 drive J: but the script maps RAIDA1\editor to J: then the P2 drive vanishes or never comes online.  I tried unmounting all network drives - the P2 is there.  Re-mount the network drive - the P2 disappears.  If we work with the media directly with the script mappings off, all is well but the next time an editor logs in and the scripts run, the P2 media on certain cards is now offline due to the above. 

What I have to do if the drive mappings from the script are essential is go into the disk management tool in Windows and change the drive letter of the P2 card to an available letter then everything shows up.  Until i realized this, I failed to ingest a couple of cards from a remote shoot.  Needless to say the material was gone and un-recoverable as the cards had already gone back out.

Our workflow now is to connect the P2 editing machine we use to a DVCProHD deck via SDI and dub to tape.  I know it defeats the "ease and convenience" of direct to edit but in our house everything ends up on tape anyway.

Unity, ISIS, Interplay, Media Composers [view my complete system specs]
    Stephen H Media Manager WinnerComm Tulsa, OK
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller