Latest post Mon, Aug 10 2009 5:07 AM by lawsonr. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 26 2009 2:10 PM

Importing, Capturing and MultiRez

Some questions about importing and capturing material in a MultiRez environment.

1. If I import material from XDCAM using the Import dialog of NC, I can enter a disk label. I imported different resolutions using the same disk label and the media was associated. I assume the disk label is used to create the Source ID for the clips and the media files. Is that true?

2. If I capture from XDCAM I have to give the tape name. Even if this is the same name as the disk label, Interplay does not associate the media I captured with the media I imported before. Is there a way to associate the captured and the imported material if they come from the same disc?

3. Is it true that Interplay only associates the media captured in different resolutions using the Capture Tool if capturing was done on the same editing client?

-- Sebastian Lorenz www.hmedia.de

Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Mar 24 2009 6:50 PM In reply to

• EdMangini
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 24 2009
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Re: Importing, Capturing and MultiRez

Hi Sebastien,

1.)

You are correct. When we assign the disk label at import, the sourceID is created for the media that is being imported. Using the same source ID maintains the affinity between high and low resolution media, allowing the MultiRez/Dynamic Relink workflow to function as designed.

2.)

Unfortunately, creating a tape name also assigns a sourceID to the media. This will create a separate sourceID than what was created by the assigning of the disk label, and there is no affinity between the captured and imported material.

NOTE: Changing the tape name of the imported media after importing it to the existing tape name used for the capture via the Modify-Set Source option will not re-associate the clips.

There is currently no way to force two unassociated media files to have affinity with one another.

A workaround would be to capture the High Resolution material, and transcode it to a low resolution selection of your choice. Transcode maintains affinity.

3.)

This is true. When you are capturing media, the sourceID that is used to generate the "link" between different resolutions is generated at the time of file creation. It depends upon tape name. Capturing media on two different stations will not result in an affinity relationship.

It is important to note that using the same tape name on two different systems will still generate a different sourceID.

I hope this answers your questions!

Ed

• Tue, Mar 24 2009 10:23 PM In reply to

• lawsonr
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 8 2006
    • CBS News
    • Posts 313
    • Points 3,655

Ed, good to see you here in the forums. Your answer is great and (of course) raises some more questions.

1. So, XDCAM proxy and full-rez files (imported with the proper disk label) will function properly in a multirez environment? Is the UMID on the XDCAM disk used to generate the SourceID in Avid?

2. Is there any relationship between the XDCAM UMID and the SourceID generated in Interplay? If so, what?

3. How are SourceIDs created with the import of XDCAM-EX material. There's no Disk Label upon import, is there?

Thanks,

Avid NewsCutter v10.5.4, ISIS 7000 v4.6.1, Interplay 2.7, Interplay Central 1.8 [view my complete system specs]

--- Rob Lawson System Administrator, ACSR CBS News

• Tue, Mar 24 2009 11:17 PM In reply to

• EdMangini
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 24 2009
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Hey Rob!

Quick Answers to your questions.

There is currently no relationship between the UMID on the XDCAM disks and the SourceID generated within the metadata clips. The SourceIDs generated for XDCAM clips are the same as any other piece of media. As of this writing, we aren't looking at the UMID data.

As far as the XDCAM-EX, that's a good question. I believe that they are created in the same manner as media that is created via the "import" function such as graphics, matte keys, quicktime movies etc. I would have to confirm this.

Ed

• Wed, Aug 5 2009 8:13 PM In reply to

Hi Ed,

thanks for your post. It was very helpful. But I have again some questions about the source id that came up recently:

1. If I would capture a tape twice using Capture Manager and using the same tape id would the resulting clips be linked? I mean, would Capture Manager act like the Capture Tool according to the Affinity Model?

2. Using the Media Tool in NewsCutter (and a USB adapter) I can access the contents of an Ikegami drive. I can see the media on the drive as masterclips. These clips never have an affinity, even if I reuse the tape and would enter the same tape id for the clips. Am I right?

If there is any documentation where I can find these information please let me know. Thanks.

-- Sebastian Lorenz www.hmedia.de

• Mon, Aug 10 2009 5:07 AM In reply to

• lawsonr
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 8 2006
    • CBS News
    • Posts 313
    • Points 3,655

I can answer the first question.

Capture Manager generates a new SourceID every time a record event happens. The two separate clips with the same TapeID would not be linked via the Affinity Model.

Avid NewsCutter v10.5.4, ISIS 7000 v4.6.1, Interplay 2.7, Interplay Central 1.8 [view my complete system specs]

--- Rob Lawson System Administrator, ACSR CBS News

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller