Latest post Mon, Apr 22 2013 3:05 AM by abrams1130. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 26 2009 11:38 PM

• iredato
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 26 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Can't play video clips (but audio is OK) - arrrrrrrrrrrgh!

I'm very new to Avid Xpress Pro and seem to be banging my head against the proverbial brick wall here. Since I can't seem to find any solutions via Google or in browsing the forums here.. I'm hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a lot of video shot with a Canon Optura Pi DV cam in 30p. Avid doesn't have a 30p setting (that I could find), so I captured it as a 30i project. The problem that I am seeing is that the captured clips won't play in the monitor (composer) window. The clips play & audio is fine, but I just see the first frame, rather than video motion. I can step through the frames & there are 30 frames per second present. And if I export the clip as a quicktime movie, the exported movie plays fine. I've re-imported the clips several times with the same results, so it doesn't seem to be corrupt files. A friend that works with Final Cut Pro is able to import & play the video without any issues. But he's not familiar with Avid, so I'm still a bit baffled. Am I missing something obvious here? It's really hard to compose/edit/trim clips when you can't watch them. I'm not sure if the problem is at all related to the original video being shot in progressive scan or if it's just some egregious error on my part. Any insights or workarounds would be enormously appreciated.

Windows XP Pro, Avid Xpress Pro 5.7, QT 7.4 Pro Dell e1705 ;Intel T7200 (2.0Ghz, dual core)/4GB RAM/200GB,7200rpm Seagate int. 2x 500GB, 7200rpm seagate... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 27 2009 12:37 AM In reply to

Re: Can't play video clips (but audio is OK) - arrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Most times when you're having that issue, it's video card related.

• Your card may not be supported
    • You may be running the wrong driver for your version of Avid software
    • Check to make sure you have Render-On-The-Fly enabled
    • Do you have a dual monitor set-up?  If so, try moving the Composer Window over to the other monitor.

But, I think that once you get passed this hurdle, you're not going to be terribly satisfied with the results working with 30p footage in a 30i project.  That also could be part of your problem. 

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Jan 27 2009 12:59 AM In reply to

• iredato
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 26 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

I checked that Render on the fly was enabled & your suggestion regarding dual monitor configuration. I will check the drivers, but presumably the problem stems from having an unsupported video card. Of greater concern though is your comment that Xpress Pro may not yield good results with 30p. I will have to look harder to see what does does work properly with 30p. I appreciate your advice.

Windows XP Pro, Avid Xpress Pro 5.7, QT 7.4 Pro Dell e1705 ;Intel T7200 (2.0Ghz, dual core)/4GB RAM/200GB,7200rpm Seagate int. 2x 500GB, 7200rpm seagate... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 1 2009 1:19 AM In reply to

• imthinking
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 31 2009
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

I have seen this thread in multiple locations and wanted to give my two cents worth.  The most likely problem as it was mine is that you have virus software running in the background that desires to check your files before opening them.  You can deactivate this in your software and you will see your video start right up.  I use NOD32 and this was my problem and as soon as i turned off early threat and silent threat off the video ran just fine.

You can test this by closing Avid - turning off your virus software completely and then open Avid back up and if the video runs its an internal control that you need to deactivate.

Hope this helps!

• Mon, Apr 22 2013 3:05 AM In reply to

• abrams1130
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 22 2013
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

I had that same problem and disabling my antiviris did the trick! Thank you for your two cents!!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller