Latest post Mon, Oct 20 2008 2:36 PM by Euchrow. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 17 2008 4:05 PM

• Euchrow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 15 2006
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 266
    • Points 3,480

AAF export into ProTools from 24P Project

<!-- @page { size: 21cm 29.7cm; margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->

Hello there,

I wonder if you could give me any help. We have trouble exporting an audio sequence from a 24P project into ProTools. Avid Version 2.6.4 PAL, ProTools 7.5.x

So, basically we're soon starting the edit of a feature film, shot on 24fps 3perf 35mm. Sound was recorded on an 8 Track HD system. So the sound is delivered to me as a number of BWF's (25ND timecode).

I digitized the footage in a 24P MXF project, using the DV25P 420 MXF codec. Sound was imported in PCM 24bit (since MXF can't work with WAV). The sound guy recorded a maximum of 8 tracks per shot on his HD system, but in the offline, I will mostly be using the first 2 (Boom + Temp mix), unless I need one of the wireless microphones that are on tracks 3-8. Of course, during the Sound Mix, the Pro Tools engineer will need to have access to all the available tracks. Now, our problem is that when I export the sequence as an AAF (including all available audio tracks), he has access to the tracks that I put in the timeline, but not to the others (not in his 'Region List' ) . We also tried exporting an EDL, convert this with Titan, but for one reason or another, the timecodes are shifted. This has probably something to do with 24fps, but before we explore this path, we first want to get the AAF option right.

Our workflow:

1/ After importing the sound, I duplicate the TapeID column (the filename, in this format: 01015T4.wav, meaning Scene10Shot15Take4) to the SoundRoll Column, and the StartTC (time of day) to the SoundTC column.

2/ I made a Test Sequence of just a few shots, only including audio from the first 2 tracks of each clip. I copy this sequence to a new bin, and delete the video track.

3/ I click on Set Bin Display under Bin, and select Show Referenced Files... This brings up a list of all audiotakes that make up the edit, including the unused audio tracks.

4/ I select all these files, including the sequence, and export the whole lot as an AAF, with copy all Media enabled. The Media is stored in a folder. This will create a bunch of AAF's per audioclip (that can be deleted I suppose), an AAF of the sequence, and a new Avid Mediafiles folder

So, when the SoundEngineer imports this AAF into ProTools, he only has access to the tracks that are in the edit, not to the others. They should appear in his Regions List, but they don't. But if I check in the Avid Mediafiles folder that I gave him (where the AAF links to), all tracks are definitely there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!! Otherwise the only solution I see at the moment, is to manually edit the missing tracks into the timeline after the edit is done. Time consuming if you ask me :-)

Thanks in advance,

Alain, brussels, belgium

Symphony 8.3 on Mac Pro Westmere 3.33Ghz 6 core, 48Gb Ram, Radeon 5770, Yosemite 10.10.1, Matrox MXO2 Mini 4.5 - MC 8.3 on MacBook Pro Retina 2.6 GHz,... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , , , , ,
  • Fri, Oct 17 2008 4:30 PM In reply to

Re: AAF export into ProTools from 24P Project

There is a feature in ProTools that should allow the sound editors to fetch all the tracks you did not include in your sequence.

I've got a link to a PDF describing the workflow in my studio, but I'm not there now, and I could not find it on Google.

Titan should work as well, seen that done a few times, even with 24p PAL projects. Should be OK for Timecode.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 17 2008 6:05 PM In reply to

• Thad_b
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 18 2005
    • Paris, FR
    • Posts 75
    • Points 875

Alain,

I've tested these days a conforming workflow with WAVE and OMF, explained at the end of this thread : http://community.avid.com/forums/t/40391.aspx (I've just post it half an hour ago). It might help you.

The ProTools Field Recorder Workflow Guide (download avalaible on Digidesign web site) mentions an another workflow where at the end "any auto-synced alternate source audio that was exported from the Avid Bin with AAF or OMF appears in the Region List". This one is not very clear to me ; especialy how to export these alternate source audio.

Regards,

Thaddée

• Sat, Oct 18 2008 2:43 PM In reply to

• Euchrow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 266
    • Points 3,480

Hey thad,

thanks for the reply, but we're in a MXF project, so we need to export as AAF. But I'll pass on the info to the Protools guy.

We're working with MC 2.6.4 . I read somewhere about a bug in importing BWF in a 24P project in 2.6.x version. Could this be the cause of our problems ? The BWF's do have a 25fps TC, not 24. I thought the bug affected 24fps BWF's

thx

Symphony 8.3 on Mac Pro Westmere 3.33Ghz 6 core, 48Gb Ram, Radeon 5770, Yosemite 10.10.1, Matrox MXO2 Mini 4.5 - MC 8.3 on MacBook Pro Retina 2.6 GHz,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 18 2008 5:43 PM In reply to

Yes, that bug affected audio with TC24, not with TC25.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 18 2008 6:17 PM In reply to

• Thad_b
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 18 2005
    • Paris, FR
    • Posts 75
    • Points 875

Euchrow:

thanks for the reply, but we're in a MXF project, so we need to export as AAF. But I'll pass on the info to the Protools guy.

It should work the same way. Export from MC your audio sequence in AAF with copy media. In ProTools session import all original multitracks related to the sequence. The sound editor should be able to apply Matches and Expand to New Tracks functions — ProTools will propose alternate channels if certain metadata (scene & take or tape name or sound roll,...) matches between the original channel and the alternates channels, in addition to time code overlap.

• Mon, Oct 20 2008 2:36 PM In reply to

• Euchrow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 266
    • Points 3,480

The AAF option doesn't work yet, but we found a workaround using EDL's and Titan. At first, the Titan option didn't work because there was a shift in the audio TC's . Presumably something to do with the difference between 24 and 25 timecodes. I read somewhere that to make correct EDL's, the Start TC needs to be copied to the Aux TC 24 column (without converting, just copying). This creates 24fps timecode. I then made EDL's using Aux TC 42 timecode as Start TC, and luckily, this works !!!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller