Latest post Thu, Sep 20 2018 1:33 PM by Miguel. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 3 2006 7:00 PM

• Kyrell
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 10
    • Points 160

AAF Structured Exception Errors -- Help Avid!

I'm getting "Structured Exception" errors and "Access Violations" when exporting an AAF to Pro Tools.  The AAF is being created from a 720P HD project, audio is at 48K and we are running version 2.1.1 of Adrenaline HD.  All video was captured as DNX 220.

I've run multiple tests and it seems that the AAF is having trouble resolving "black" in the timeline as it will successfully create if there is no black anywhere in an audio track.  I get the same errors regardless of which export settings I choose, i.e. "Consolidate and Embed Media", "Embed Media", Link to Current", etc. It also doesn't matter where I choose to save the AAF file.  Once I remove "black" from the timeline, it works.  This however is unrealistic as there are "black holes" throughout the sequence on purpose.  This AAF is strictly for dialogue as the sound design is happening elsewhere.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Is there an update available to fix it?  Any known workarounds?  Unfortuantely, creating the standard OMF is not an option when working in 720.  It has to be an AAF due to the 59.94 frame rate.

Any insight from Avid or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

Savage Pictures  *  www.savagepictures.net

• Tue, Jan 3 2006 8:34 PM In reply to

Re: AAF Structured Exception Errors -- Help Avid!

What do you mean "black" in the timeline?
    Is it blank space under filler in the video track?
    Is this "black" inserted in the audio track?
  • Wed, Jan 4 2006 9:19 PM In reply to

• Kyrell
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 160

I will clarify.   The "black" is just the empty space between audio edits on any given track.  For example; I have an audio edit happening at 01:00:00:00 which lasts for a duration of one second (01:00:01:00 would be the master out). Then I have a space for two seconds (or "black") followed by the next audio edit in the timeline which begins at 01:00:03:00.

The AAF will not create itself in this scenario.  If I remove the "black" however, then it works. As I said before, this is completely stupid as the "black" is in the timeline for a reason due to the nature of the edit.

• Wed, Jan 4 2006 10:01 PM In reply to

"completely stupid" Yes. I have not seen it and still use OMF's for reliability after dabbling with AAF's. 

A possible relatively quick work around

Create an additional audio track and add continuous sound. (tone media?). Then export the AAF. Tell the Audio Post house to ignore this track when opening the AAF
  • Thu, Jan 5 2006 6:09 PM In reply to

• Kyrell
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 160

I gave your idea a shot by adding an additional audio track with the tone media.  No luck.  I then removed that track and inserted tone media into my black holes and zeroed the tone levels so that I would have a sequence with continuous media in it.  That didn't work either.  This seems even more stupid as the tone media apparently isn't being recognized as...media.  I don't know what the deal is.

I've had success in the past with AAF but this is my first time using it in a 720p project.  It's always worked for me in 1080, regardless of being interlaced or progressive.

Thanks for your help. 

Back to the drawing board.

• Thu, Jan 5 2006 8:13 PM In reply to

Looks like this is a bug that should be notified.
    How long is your program?
    I would be tempted to import a 5 or 6 minute CD audio track. Then insert edit one side of the CD track butted repeatedly for the duration of your program.  This should not increase your AAF's overall size by much. Zero the volume and get the post house to ignore that track
  • Tue, Sep 18 2018 3:18 PM In reply to

• GAE-UMinho
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60

Hello!

I'm trying to export an AAF composition and I get the same error: Structure exception. My Timlene has 3 video tracks with spaces between the edits. The idea is to create a model for the aprentice editors to start with.

Since they are in the very beginning I don't want to add "dummy" tracks, to avoid doubts.

I'm running Media Composer 2018.8

Thank you in advance.

Media Composer 2018.8; Pro Tools 2018.4; Windows 10; HP Z440 - Xeon 6 core - 3,6 GHz - 32 GB RAM; nVidia Quadro P2000; Promise Pegasus2 R4 8TB [view my complete system specs]

Miguel Cunha
    Teach Support Office
    Universidade do Minho
    Braga
    Portigal

• Thu, Sep 20 2018 1:33 PM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 1 2012
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 24
    • Points 265

Hi There!

The same happened to me. It seems to be related with permissions to access media files. I got the following errors, exporting the same sequence as AAF composition. However, those errors don't occur with every sequence.

1- Unknown Video Format

2- Structured Exception

3 - Access Violation
    Access Violation

Based on these errors, I tried this workaround.
    I changed the AAF export settings.

I maked the option to transcode video to the desired file format, in order to generate new files.
    The export was always successful.

Still, this is only a workaround. I don't know the cause, of the problem, nor the solution.
    I hope Avid can shed some light into this.

Thank you. 

Media Composer 8.8.5 | Pro Tools 11.3.1 | MacOS 10.12.6| iMac 21,5" - Core i7 - 3,1 GHz - 16 GB RAM - nVidia 650M 512 MB VRAM | Caldigit AV Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Miguel

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller