Latest post Thu, Dec 11 2008 4:48 AM by BobRusso. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 20 2008 9:22 PM

• pnikolaev
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 44
    • Points 710

Importing MXF, orginally MP4 from XDCAM, into Avid

I was asked to save a friends project that someone else didn't finish.  What I've been told is that the files were shot XDCam 23.98 Mpeg4, then imported into Sony Vegas using it's MXF Explorer converting the Mp4 files to MXF.  Is this footage even HD if shot with the MP4 compression setting?

Anyways, I will be getting the harddrive with these MXF files and hoping to import them into my Avid 2.8.3?  I've worked with P2 before but never XDCam footage.  What is the process for getting these into Avid?

If anyone is out there on this beautiful Saturday morning I'd appreciate some advice. Thank you!

Symphony 6.5, 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GT-120 512 MB, OS 10.8.3, Nitris DX boxes [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Sat, Sep 20 2008 9:33 PM In reply to

Re: Importing MXF, orginally MP4 from XDCAM, into Avid

MPEG-4's on XDCam are the Proxy res.  It would be better for you if you could get the discs. 

You won't be able to "import" MXF files likely. 

If you have the discs, you just either import them from an XDCam deck or Capture them like you would any other source tape.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sat, Sep 20 2008 10:32 PM In reply to

To echo Kenton's response, all you need are the XDCAM drivers installed on your platform, and you can use the standard import tool to import XDCAM clips. You will see an additional tab in the import tool options for XDCAM for you to configure. If you have the PDZ-1 browser software, you can preview clips and mark sub-clip regions to import, if you prefer. This is very handy when you only need 15 seconds of a 30 minute clip.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Sep 20 2008 11:39 PM In reply to

• pnikolaev
    • Not Ranked
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 44
    • Points 710

Just got back from picking up the harddrive and I real glad to come back to some replys, thank you. Ok on the harddrive I have 3 folders "Vegas Import Clips" that have MXF files in them that Sony Vegas converted to MXF, an XDCAM EX folder that has folders A1 through A8 and eventually I come to an MP4 file, smi., ppn, XML, bim, and the third folder has a XDCAM EX Clip Browser V2.0.  I'm in a 1080p/23.98 project.  I want all the files imported into the Avid. How the heck is this done?

I created tone media to give an AvidMedia Files Folder and tried dragging an MXF file into the folder but Avid didn't like that and I don't think I got the importing process down for this.  

I can only work with what I have on the external harddrive which I hope is enough to get these files into the Avid.  Any help with how to import these would be appreciated, thank you.

Symphony 6.5, 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GT-120 512 MB, OS 10.8.3, Nitris DX boxes [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 21 2008 12:03 AM In reply to

As I said, if you have the XDCAM drivers installed, you can open the import tool, navigate to your hard drive, then to the XDCAM EX folder, for example, highlight the MXF files that are displayed and start the process. Be sure to set up your XDCAM options regarding proxy files, hi-rez, essence marks, number of audio tracks, etc. before you import.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Sep 21 2008 12:13 AM In reply to

• pnikolaev
    • Not Ranked
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 44
    • Points 710

I'm not familiar with XDCam drivers, as far as I know I don't have them installed unless it came with Avid. I do have a zip file wtih the Clip Browser program v2.0 that came on the harddrive, is that what you're refering to?

• Sun, Sep 21 2008 12:21 AM In reply to

If you have the clip browser program, that should have the necessary drivers. My PDZ-1 did. If you already have XDCAM drivers installed, you would see an XDCAM tab in the options section of the import tool. If not, you don't.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Sep 21 2008 1:26 AM In reply to

• pnikolaev
    • Not Ranked
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 44
    • Points 710

OK, so I don't have the drivers installed but I did find a tool that transcodes the mp4 files to quicktimes that Avid will recognize.  We usedthis tool once before at where I work and it worked fine. So I'll go that route this time.

Thank you so much for your help. 

• Sun, Sep 21 2008 1:27 AM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,252
    • Points 27,810
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

The same process can be used to to rewrap XDCAM EX MP4 clips to be used in Vegas and Media Composer :

http://snipurl.com/3s97z

These MXF files should import directly into a bin.

The XDCAM EX Clip Browser Software can be downloaded here:

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/software.htm

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Wed, Dec 10 2008 8:13 AM In reply to

• canucope
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 10 2008
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Hello, i'm importing MXF files in to Avid after converting them with the sony clip browser BUT theyre washed out looking. Any idea why this is happening?

Cheers Yes

• Wed, Dec 10 2008 12:25 PM In reply to

Check the options of the import tool - color levels should be set to 601.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Dec 10 2008 1:32 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,252
    • Points 27,810
    • Avid Employee

canucope:

Hello, i'm importing MXF files in to Avid after converting them with the sony clip browser BUT theyre washed out looking. Any idea why this is happening?

All of the XDCAM codecs are native in the Avid. When XDCAM media is imported into the Avid, none of the import setting have an effect, the native XDCAM codec is used. It is not being changed in any way, so nothing is happening.

Where are you monitoring the video? HD monitor or on the computer? The display on the computer is not accurate and shouldn't be used to judge video quality.

• Wed, Dec 10 2008 9:22 PM In reply to

• canucope
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Thanks for the reply... Its Ex footage thats been converted to MXF in the clip browser.. It looks like the the contrast has been altered when viewed against the original footage... Is there a trick or setting when converting that i'm missing out on?

Cheers

• Wed, Dec 10 2008 9:50 PM In reply to

• canucope
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Hi Rob, have imported as the tutorial explained and the footage still looks like the contrast of the picture has been altered in comparison to the original footage in the clip browser. I am making the comparison on the same computer screen with the clips next to each other.. Any ideas ?

Cheers

• Thu, Dec 11 2008 12:58 AM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,252
    • Points 27,810
    • Avid Employee

Do you have the correct nVidia drive loaded for the version of the Avid? Is the nVidia driver helper service running? Either of these can be be a cause for the video looking darker in the monitor.

The native XDCAM EX codec is being used in the Avid. Its not being altered in any way during the rewrap. This is purely an artifact of the overlay. Take a look at this document: http://snipurl.com/7rban

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller