Latest post Fri, Nov 23 2012 1:31 AM by Kenton.VanNatten. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 1 2008 10:11 PM

Reusing Custom Effects in Avid Media Composer

As an editor, the ability to work quickly and efficiently is golden. The ability to store and reuse the custom effects that you have built can save you a lot of time and effort, when it’s close to deadline. If you know that you’re going to use an effect more than once in a project, like a custom transition, you should store that effect. Follow these steps to store a custom transition effect.

1. Create the effect that you need. In this example, I have used the Fade to Color effect to create a customized white flash transition or flicker.

2. Create a new Bin. You’ll need a place to store your effects, so go to File > New Bin, or press the Command Key and N on the keyboard to create a new bin. Name the new bin Effects.

3. Store the effect. The little Effect Icon, in the upper right corner of the Effect Editor, represents the new effect that you have just created. Drag the Effect Icon to the new Effects Bin.

There you have it. Now you don’t have to recreate the effect each time you want to use it in the show. Simply drag the icon from the Effects bin and place it into the sequence. Saving and reusing custom effects allows you to maintain consistency, but also saves you precious time.

• Fri, Aug 1 2008 10:50 PM In reply to

Re: Reusing Custom Effects in Avid Media Composer

Even better,

Create a Bin named exactly "Quick Transitions" (without the quotes)

Drop your Custom Transition fx into it.

Now when you hit the Quick Transition button, your transitions are there in the pulldown menu.

For use in other projects, just copy the QuickT bin into your other project folders.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Oct 24 2011 5:53 AM In reply to

• Tease
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 9 2011
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

Sorry to answer to this old thread but I have a question regarding that topic. Is it possible to export an effect setting for use in another project? I thought since it's possible to export user settings it would be great to be able to export customized effects also. That would safe a lot of time.

Thanks in advance!

• Mon, Oct 24 2011 6:19 AM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 6 2008
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 587
    • Points 6,995

Yes, just open the bin with the custom effect in it while in the other project. You do this with Ctrl/Cmnd+O and then navigate to the project and bin you want.

I have a "Generics" project that I save sequence templates (bars, tone, countdown) and custom effects into. I have a copy of this on a USB stick for when I'm working on different suites. 

cheers

Campbell

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 15 2012 12:11 PM In reply to

• cedlong
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 9 2010
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,260

Hello, is there a way to transfer effects and transitions and place them on a memory stick to take away and use on a client's system? As you can with your user profile?

iMac 2.93GHz Intel Core i7 with 4GB RAM running Mac OSX X Lion, Avid media Composer 6.1 and Final Cut Pro v7. Lots of external RAID space. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 15 2012 12:29 PM In reply to

Create a Bin, save all your effects/transitions etc in it, then copy the .avb file onto a memory stick.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Mar 15 2012 12:44 PM In reply to

• cedlong
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 9 2010
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,260

Nice. Thanks!

iMac 2.93GHz Intel Core i7 with 4GB RAM running Mac OSX X Lion, Avid media Composer 6.1 and Final Cut Pro v7. Lots of external RAID space. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 31 2012 12:44 AM In reply to

• Gina Gilberto
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 20 2009
    • United States
    • Posts 18
    • Points 240

I had someone email me some effects (EFX.avb bin file) It downloaded to my desktop (i'm a mac user the person who sent it is on a PC based system).  I did the file, open bin command it created a new bin window in my project but for some reason i'm not able to use these effects?  I don't have Boris (not sure if that's why).  The effects look different too - they lack the little icon in the purple bin icon box that is just before the text description.  

Am I doing something wrong?  Can't seem to figure out why I can't drop them in my shot on my timeliine like the effects that came with my MC 5.5.

Thanks,  gina

Avid Media Composer 5.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 31 2012 12:52 AM In reply to

Gina Gilberto:
    The effects look different too - they lack the little icon in the purple bin icon box that is just before the text description

They probably are either Boris or Sapphire or some other effects that you don't have.  If Avid can't detect the proper plug-ins on your system, it displays the effect icons as just blank purple boxes.  

• Sat, Mar 31 2012 1:01 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,615
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

If you can see what suffix the files have, Boris files should have xxxxxx.RED as file names.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Mar 31 2012 7:55 PM In reply to

• Gina Gilberto
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 20 2009
    • United States
    • Posts 18
    • Points 240

Thanks Kenton, yes they were Boris and Sapphire effects.  I was told that because i'm using the academic MC version I can't use the Boris effects.  Do you know if this is true?

thanks,

gina

Avid Media Composer 5.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 31 2012 8:04 PM In reply to

Gina:

If you have the same version of Boris effects installed on your computer as was used on the other computer to create them, that statement is entirely untrue. "Boris" is somewhat ambiguous as there is Boris Red, Boris Graffiti, and BCC Continuum Effects.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Mar 31 2012 9:01 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,615
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Larry Rubin:
    "Boris" is somewhat ambiguous as there is Boris Red, Boris Graffiti, and BCC Continuum Effects.

Larry,

Don't forget Boris FX, Boris Blue, Boris Transfer FCP and a few others. Geeked Ambiguous indeed. In fact it can be downright confusing at times.

Regards,
    Douglas

PS. I guess even Avid has a similar, but on a smaller scale, problem. Have you ever seen an Avid Studio user posting questions on the Avid MC Forums? Stick out tongue

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Mar 31 2012 9:18 PM In reply to

Gina Gilberto:
    I was told that because i'm using the academic MC version I can't use the Boris effects.  Do you know if this is true?

No, that is not true.  Third party plug-ins are not included in Academic versions of MC, but it does not prevent you from getting your own versions of those 3rd party plug-ins and installing them on your computer.  

• Thu, Nov 22 2012 10:52 PM In reply to

Is there any way to apply an effect to all clips in a sequence so that I don't have to do them individually?

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller