Latest post Mon, Aug 4 2008 10:37 PM by problemsolver. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 30 2008 7:24 PM

• haukez
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,545

Confused [*-)] An Effective Way Of Syncing...

Hello,

could any body describe me the function of "Autosequence"? I've never used it before but it seems to generate a Sequence from Audio and Video if they have same TC?  What is this for? I've did a short test and it appears that this function relys only on the embeded (capured) StartingTC of a Clip - one is not able to choose AuxTC1 or other to match a Video Clip with an Audiofile with attached AuxTC1 (which i applied).

Is there any way to apply a TC to a Video(Sub)Clip, which was the slated Sound TC from a TC-Slate on shooting that Clip to kind of Autosync them together? (Its Film)

Yes, i sometimes read Manuals but your personal suggestions or experiences are much appreciated!

Thank you.

P.S.: The TC would be Free Run (Daytime) on a Sounddevice. I'll use MC2.8. The Project is not shoot yet, i want to prepare it best possible. It will be my Final Project at Filmscool.

• Sun, Aug 3 2008 2:27 AM In reply to

• Codec Moment
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 21 2007
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 353
    • Points 4,630

Re: An Effective Way Of Syncing...

Are you talking about autosynch? That makes a subclip or group clip using common timecode or a mark in/out. It's how I normally do things. It takes a while, but you just mark in on the slate frame of picture and sound, then select both in the bin and hit autosynch. I have it on the keyboard.

Another way I've heard of to do this is to make a sequence for synching and line up your clips in there. Then mark them and make a subsequence for each part. Take your subsequences and hit autosynch on them and they will turn into subclips. The last step will not work if there is a cut inside the subsequence.

I have more experience with the first way, but I know a lot of people prefer the second way, see what works for you.

I just re-read the last part of your post. Free-running audio timecode will only be beneficial to you in synching if you can jam it with your film camera. Not all film cameras have this capability and not all labs can read this timecode. If you can do that and free-run the same TC on both than you can use autosynch based on TC and not have to mark slates. Definitly still slate in case something goes wrong with that.

Mac OSX 10.6.8 Avid Media Composer v6.0.1 Macbook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM [view my complete system specs]

I trust orange juice more than I trust most people.

• Sun, Aug 3 2008 1:34 PM In reply to

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/52667/345285.aspx#345285

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 4 2008 10:37 PM In reply to

Not sure if this is applicable in your case but when we shoot ADR, we run firewire out of the camera to a DSR1500 (for backup protection), then run the timecode out of the DSR1500 into our ProTools session as an audio track. This allows us to sync up video exported from a ProTools OMF. We then import the OMF into Avid, and select "read audio timecode" from the audio track and assign it to Aux TC1. From there, we can cut / paste the TC info into the Master TC (unlink, then modify). It helps us sync up the video to the ProTools selects.

5 x HP XW8400 Dual 3ghz dual-core. Adrenaline DnxHD hardware. Facilis Terrablock fiber storage. [view my complete system specs]

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller