Latest post Sat, May 3 2008 3:43 AM by Larry Rubin. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 1 2008 8:48 PM

• styks1987
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 1 2008
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,055

Master Clips for Titles lost

Composer crashed and erased all the master clips for my titles in the bins but I still have all of the MXF files. Is there any hope of getting them back.

Thanks

Michael

Media Composer 3.0, Avid FX, GenArts Saphire 2 3.0 AMD 64 3000+, 4GB DDR2 Corsair, Gigabyte GM590SLI, Geforce 7600GT [view my complete system specs]

Think for yourself...       but take heed of those you have thought before you.

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Thu, May 1 2008 9:03 PM In reply to

Re: Master Clips for Titles lost

I don't believe there is a way to bring Precomputes into a bin from the Media Tool like you can with master clips.

If you have out them in a sequence, you can recreate titles, and then will generate new clips for you.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, May 1 2008 9:06 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,630

Select the offline titles and choose Clip-->Recreate Title Media.  It might be under the Bin menu. 

If you recreate the titles in your bin, however, they won't relink to your sequences.  If you have finished sequences or sequences in progress you'll want to select the sequence, then choose Recreate Title Media.  It will recreate the titles in your sequence and put them in your bin.

Michael.

• Thu, May 1 2008 9:17 PM In reply to

• styks1987
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,055

Thank you for your help but I have no clips at all in my bins the only files I have are in the Avid media files folder. They cannot be imported either.

I am beginning to think that it is not possible and have started re created the 30+ titles i made.

Thanks Again.

Mike

Media Composer 3.0, Avid FX, GenArts Saphire 2 3.0 AMD 64 3000+, 4GB DDR2 Corsair, Gigabyte GM590SLI, Geforce 7600GT [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, May 1 2008 9:19 PM In reply to

By the way, you did check the Attic first, right?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, May 1 2008 9:46 PM In reply to

• styks1987
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,055

ha yea... i needed a lil humor...

thanks

• Fri, May 2 2008 12:35 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

I don't think that Kevin was being funny.  Check the attic.  It's rare for a crash to destroy the bin backups in the attic.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 2 2008 10:48 AM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Was this bin the only place the titles existed? If they've been cut into a sequence anywhere then 'recreate title media' is the way to go.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 2 2008 6:27 PM In reply to

Hmmm... Maybe the better question is...do you know what the Attic is?

-- Kevin

• Fri, May 2 2008 10:20 PM In reply to

• styks1987
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,055

Well the only attic that I know of is the one over our garage...

• Fri, May 2 2008 11:02 PM In reply to

That's what I thought.  No, we are talking about the Avid Attic.

It's a folder that keeps mutliple copies of your bins in all your projects every time the system autosaves.  That way, you never lose more than an autosave's worth of work (usually about 15 minutes).

I *think* on a system with local storage the Attic is in the same place as the rest of your projects, but I've been on Unity for so long I don't remember.  But, you can always search for "Attic" and find it.

The bins in the attic have numerical extensions.  Look for the one you want (by date / time) and copy it to your current project folder and change the extension from the number to .avb (and add _old or something like that to the filename so you don't overwrite your active bin) and you can open the bin in your project.

I'm assuming you've gotten past your issue by now, but this might help you next time you have a crash.

-- Kevin

• Fri, May 2 2008 11:12 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,630

The Avid projects are stored in the Shared Documents folder.  I believe the attic is still where it's always been:

C:\Program Files\Avid\Avid Media Composer\Avid Attic\[PROJECTS]

Navigate to the project, copy the bin you want, paste it into your regular project folder and open it.  You may need to add the .avb file extension, but I don't think so.

One thing to note--the Attic bins are seen by Avid as the exact same as the bins currently in your project, so if you have Bin01 open in your project and you try to open the Attic bin that corresponds with Bin01 it will tell you that you can't have two of the same bin open.  Close Bin01 in your project and you'll be able to open Attic Bin01 then to recover missing files.

Good luck.

Michael.

• Fri, May 2 2008 11:29 PM In reply to

The Attic.... One of Avids best kept secrets. IMO a real gem that is needed so infrequently that many tend forget about it. Especially as we are often close to panic when its needed!

• Sat, May 3 2008 3:01 AM In reply to

• styks1987
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,055

Hey thank you very much! I did just re create all of my titles but this will definitely be a big help in the future. I had no idea. I appreciate it.

Mike

• Sat, May 3 2008 3:43 AM In reply to

Something else you can do to better protect your work. Go into your bin settings and set the "auto save" and "forced auto save" intervals to 5 minutes. That way, in the event of a crash, you will not lose more than 5 minutes worth of work. The defaults are 15 and 30 minutes - way too long IMO.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller