Latest post Sat, Apr 26 2008 1:44 PM by mhamilton. 63 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 17 2008 11:20 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,571
    • Points 19,525

Re: Where is 35mbs import for sony EX1

Thanks BLKDOG... I know you hate speculating, but I have to believe it'll come by this time next month (NAB).  In the meantime, I'm curious to see how AXP users are going to react to the MC upgrade news.  Surprised there's no thread on this... I want to know why MC is going to be better for me.  Yes, I've read the Avid webpage on the subject, but so much of the benefits don't really see to apply to me... at first glance, anyway.

Will stay tuned, though.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 18 2008 1:49 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

mhcbc:
    I have to believe it'll come by this time next month (NAB)

There is not a release scheduled for this time next month so what makes you think that?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 4:38 PM In reply to

• bakalaj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Kelowna BC Canada
    • Posts 266
    • Points 3,445

From Avid's PR: http://www.avid.com/email/2008_03_17_Xpress_Pro_Update/index.html

"Avid will continue selling Avid Xpress Pro software through June 30, 2008. Subsequent to this notification there will be no further major releases of Avid Xpress Pro software. "

Not exactly clear on this but it appears that there might be NO further release of any upgrade. The sentence is just a bit ambiguous on whether the "no further release" is following THIS notification or the June 30, 2008 date. It feels to me like it's now.

MBP, 2GB Ram AMC 4 Mojo SONY DSR-11, JVC BR-HD50U [view my complete system specs]

www.ascentfilms.com

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 5:45 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,571
    • Points 19,525

I agree, Jiri.  No further releases as of now (i.e. as of the time of “this notification”)... 

And BLKDOG, call it intuition, call it... whatever.  I just think support for the new 35Mb/s format is coming soon.  By the way... do you use MC as well as AXP, or just MC?  Is it generally a much superior program?

thanks,

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 18 2008 6:46 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

It is coming..we are working on it BUT, right now, it's just a technical theory. Avid really wants this to be included soon but there is also a real chance that it may not make it into the next release. So, don't go quoting anyone who says anything definite about this feature 'cause trust me, they don't know.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Sat, Mar 22 2008 12:44 PM In reply to

• BJM23
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 11 2006
    • Leominster, MA
    • Posts 8
    • Points 105

I am also an xrpess pro user who would like to see avid support the ex1. 

I have a version of avid I purchased 2 years ago with a student discount and would now like to upgrade to the current version of xpress pro that will work on intel macs. 

I have also heard that from the current version of xpress pro I can upgrade to MC. 

Is this the correct rout to go?

I'm sure MC will support the EX1 soon. 

• Sat, Mar 22 2008 12:44 PM In reply to

• BJM23
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 11 2006
    • Leominster, MA
    • Posts 8
    • Points 105

I am also an xrpess pro user who would like to see avid support the ex1. 

I have a version of avid I purchased 2 years ago with a student discount and would now like to upgrade to the current version of xpress pro that will work on intel macs. 

I have also heard that from the current version of xpress pro I can upgrade to MC. 

Is this the correct rout to go?

I'm sure MC will support the EX1 soon. 

• Sat, Mar 22 2008 2:13 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,571
    • Points 19,525

Hi BJM,

I also think that MC will support the EX1 soon, but keep in mind what BLKDOG just posted:  

"Avid really wants this to be included soon but there is also a real chance that it may not make it into the next release. So, don't go quoting anyone who says anything definite about this feature 'cause trust me, they don't know."

So you can hope, as I've chosen to do, that we'll get EX1-compatibility in the next MC release... but keep your hopes in check.

Malcolm

• Sat, Mar 22 2008 2:27 PM In reply to

BJM23:
    I have a version of avid I purchased 2 years ago with a student discount and would now like to upgrade to the current version of xpress pro that will work on intel macs. I have also heard that from the current version of xpress pro I can upgrade to MC. Is this the correct rout to go?

Hi,

There will be no more updates to Xpress Pro, but you can upgrade to Media Composer.  Take a look at this post for more information.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Apr 1 2008 7:24 PM In reply to

• sedoi
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

Hi Ian,

may I ask why turning off TC caused a few headaches? Don't get me wrong I'm aware of its importance but only when you work "old style". When working with EX there is no tape only files so why do you need TC?

Correction: - When you have two SxS cards in the slots after first one fills up and during the shot second card start recording and yes it split the shot in two but only on card. When you import two files in your NLE there are no splits and no headache to sync. If you not transfering your files from EX to PC via PCIe card slot you don't need to update driver.

Slava

• Wed, Apr 16 2008 1:17 PM In reply to

• AquaPix
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 16 2006
    • UK
    • Posts 447
    • Points 5,545

To get back at the actual topic of the thread read this http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=174

Looks like the problem is going to be solved by Sony in JuneSmile

MC3.0.5, QT7.4.5, Vista Business x64, Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3.4GHz, Asus P5K Mobo, 8GB RAM (OCZ Reaper @ 950MHz DDR II), GeForce 8800GTX (multithreading... [view my complete system specs]

Andy Lange www.aquapix.tv

• Wed, Apr 16 2008 2:39 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,571
    • Points 19,525

Yes, Clip Browser version 2, and updated Media Composer (v. 3)... "target" date of June... then it'll all work!  And yet... why do I have a feeling BLKDOG or someone is going to add an 'If' or a "But" or some other depressing proviso of some sort?

Malcolm

• Wed, Apr 16 2008 2:46 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Uh...maybe 'cause I've been through this for the last 18 years?Hmm

• Wed, Apr 16 2008 3:02 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,571
    • Points 19,525

True.  And I appreciate your straight-up, blunt pronouncements, even if sometimes they're not what I'm hoping to hear.

Cheers, Malcolm

• Thu, Apr 17 2008 2:32 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,518
    • Points 64,025
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The resolution is much closer than expected.  Here's what I found at NAB: 35 Mb/s XDCAM support is in the 2.8.3 release (soon, apparently).  You'll need the Sony Clip Browser 2.0 to convert the EX files to easily imported clips that can just be dropped into a bin.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 3 of 5 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller