Latest post Tue, Jul 21 2009 12:07 PM by compactdreams. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 14 2006 2:56 PM

• apafrank
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 16
    • Points 200

Import XDCAM Footage Problem

Hello all.

I am using Avid Composer with a HD I/O Card. We have finished shooting a HD commercial with Sony HD XDCAM in 1080/25p mode. We connected the CAM in FAM mode and transfer all the MXF file to the editing station then we import all MXF file into Avid (We cannot import to a 1080p/25 project so we are using a 1080i50 project), but we have a problem that some of the footage which has been captured in 50 frame/sec (High Speed Footage) cannot play correct in avid, other standard frame rate footage work just fine.
    When we try to play the high speed footage, avid just hung up ... and does not response

Is there any way to work with the high speed footage ? Thanks

Frank
    Avid / FCP Editor @ Hong Kong
  • Fri, Nov 17 2006 6:57 PM In reply to

Re: Import XDCAM Footage Problem

Frank,

There are still some issues with XDCAM HD variable speed footage when importing clips via FAM.  For those clips and since you have HD hardware on your MCA, just do a conventional ingest via HD-SDI.  Also, 1080 25p are not fully supported yet and you may run into problems when doing color correction or applying motion FX.  Again, to overcome this, you can capture 25p footage by setting the deck's to 50i system and use HD-SDI output.  It will frame process your 25p footage to 50i.

Thierry.

Media Composer Nitris DX 3.5 HP XW8600 workstation Windows Vista Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 19 2006 2:52 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

We plan to buy a Sony XDCam HD 330 + Fujinon 1/2 Broadcast wide Angle lens. In addition to this we finally plan the DNxHD board purchase, the deal could end up with Avid France.

My question is :

Do we need a Sony media player or is it realistic to bring the MXF media from the camera to a HD and import them into Avid ? What is the recommended workflow in this situation ?

Many thanks for answer. 

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Sun, Nov 19 2006 6:15 PM In reply to

• apafrank
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 200

sep:

We plan to buy a Sony XDCam HD 330 + Fujinon 1/2 Broadcast wide Angle lens. In addition to this we finally plan the DNxHD board purchase, the deal could end up with Avid France.

My question is :

Do we need a Sony media player or is it realistic to bring the MXF media from the camera to a HD and import them into Avid ? What is the recommended workflow in this situation ?

Many thanks for answer. 

You can import the XMF file directly to avid. If you want to work with the proxy version, you can re-import the high res file by using the Batch Import function. Avid will look for the High res file and re-import them.

But we have to transcode all footage (or mix down the video) to DNxHD codec before we output to the deck because the XDCAM codec cannot play correctly in full quality mode.

Avid / FCP Editor @ Hong Kong
  • Sun, Nov 19 2006 6:56 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

thanks for reply.

OK, but even for batch import functiun, is an external Media player indispensable, or can the camera do the trick ?

I thought I have to import MXF as DNxHD footage !

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

• Mon, Nov 20 2006 3:25 AM In reply to

You can use the camera to import your XDCAM HD clips the same way you would do with a XDCAM deck.  It is as fast and does not really put any wear and tear on the camera.  If you have a limited budget that's the way to go.

Thierry.

Media Composer Nitris DX 3.5 HP XW8600 workstation Windows Vista Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 20 2006 9:32 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

thanks Thierry.

Is the method described above the only MXF/DNxHD procedure?

sep

• Tue, Nov 21 2006 2:59 AM In reply to

Yes.  The other way to ingest your XDCAM HD material would be to capture via HD-SDI w/ machine control through AVID DNxCel hardware.  This is actually a pretty decent workflow.  It allows for off-lining your material at a lower resolution (DV25 or others) and recapturing using any of the DNxHD codec.  With the random disc access, recapturing is fast and actually, quite faster than trancoding a MXF XDCAM HD sequence to DNxHD.  If you are capturing using machine control, you can use any of Sony's deck template (PVW-2600, DVW-500,...) but just make sure you check off "FAST CUE", this will allow the XDCAM deck to instantly jump between cue points.

Thierry.

• Tue, Nov 21 2006 7:38 AM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

OK, that's exactly what I was thinking. This method may be a second step in our HD migration 

thanks a lot Thierry

sep

• Tue, Jul 21 2009 12:07 PM In reply to

I´ve got a MPEG IMx betacam (sony) and is imposible to import the xmf files... ok, i can be import, but appears with only one frame when I see the properties... and it got the size when is complete... I don´t understand...

Filed under: , , , , ,
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller