Latest post Tue, Oct 18 2005 9:46 PM by AndrewAction. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 14 2005 7:07 PM

• gobucks
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toledo, OH
    • Posts 160
    • Points 1,810

Incorporate A Media Mover Type Software

God love them I love the people at Random Video but come on already and make this service a part of the workflow of Adrenaline and higher-end workstations.  With hard drives as large as they are contents in the OMFI folders get MASSIVE and it is so nice o sort them into files.  It would be nice if this was native to the workflow.
    X64 Windows 7 systems, MC5.X, MOJO, multiple systems. 8540W EliteBook Q820/1800M/8GB/W7X64/MC5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 14 2005 7:36 PM In reply to

• James Jones
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • San Antonio, TX
    • Posts 844
    • Points 9,545

Re: Incorporate A Media Mover Type Software

That is a great program and a great suggestion! Big Smile [:D]

James

• Sun, Oct 16 2005 3:40 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

This is a VERY old suggestion I had on another forum. This utility should be a part of Avid !

Media Mover does it's job very well, Nevertheless I would like to have access to an option that gives me the ability to manage all the files that belong to my current project, even files that come from an other one, Today if I have a project called "A", and I use media from a project called "B"in the project "A", when I move the "A" files out of OMF Mediafolder, only the "A" fils will move, the "B" files stay there. I would suggest that the utility gives a "copy" option for the "B" files, so the project (+ media)s once backuped stays complete : Today's solution is consolidate, but that creates a new timeline, which is NOT back compatible with earlier (and later) timeline versions ! 

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Sun, Oct 16 2005 8:09 PM In reply to

To the original post and not to detract from Seps very valid suggestion.

Why not make use of virtual drives?
    Make a folder  for each project you have on your media drive as soon as you start a project. Or use MediaMover to move your media to an OMFI MediaFiles folder in your project folder later for existing projects.

Make these folders virtual drives.  Several commercial programs offer this option. Or making a simple batch file with a line of code does it free like this
    In notepad copy and paste the following and modify to suit your environment. F:\ is my SCSI media stripe and Project A, ProjectB ...etc are folders on F drive.

subst H: F:\ProjectA
    subst I: F:\ProjectB
    subst J: F:\ProjectC

save as a txt file. Go to the saved txt file and change its extension from .txt to .bat   Double click this and you will have, in this case, 3 virtual drives all of which Avid will see and can create OMFI Media files folders in.

For maximum ease of use I put the .bat file in my startup folder ( right click start menu/ open/programs/startup) This creates my virtual drives every computer restart.  Then I create a shortcut from the .bat file on my desktop.  Right clicking on the short cut and selecting Edit allows me to easily change or create new virtual drives.

Good use of the Media Creation settings and minimal useage of Media Mover manages my media  leaving  me with single project media folders for backups.
  • Sun, Oct 16 2005 8:15 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

Guys i realy think you should check out this link

Dave G has done a great job.. read and try..

Menno

[edit] PC only unfortunatly and tested on Pro by yours truely[/edit]

35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Sun, Oct 16 2005 8:17 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,328
    • Points 60,150
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

It'd be great so see a comparison between this and Media Mover, eh?, Menno?

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 16 2005 8:28 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400

hahaha yes Robert? Stick out tongue [:P]

I just requested a extra feature which would make it more powerfull then mediamover. It is right now allready more powerfull. MM "just" moves media from the omfo to a new folder outside the omfi. This can either sift the drives creating folders for every project available, it can copy project.. so choose a project, select a destination (like a FW drive) and hit go.. it copies all the media to the new location AND removes the database files to a location outside the omfi folder. Thos forces Avid to create new one thus updated media files..

There are a few more things i need to test before i can say that it IS better then MM but for now and for free i'll take it in as it comes... (do need to check about precomputes if they move nicely)

Menno

35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

My Keys

• Sun, Oct 16 2005 9:12 PM In reply to

I checked Daves software out straight after his post and added a comment to the site. A great piece of software. The obvious next question, already being asked of MediaMover, is wether it will be able to handle mxf in later versions.. 

I guess I should edit my post exchanging DaveG's software for Media Mover

• Sun, Oct 16 2005 10:43 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

Just made the MediaSift download I'll give a try tomorrow ! We use MM on our different systems, I also tried once MM on networked drives, which didn't work ! This limitation answers to commercial needs, I guess, but what about network compatibility for MediaSift which hasn't the same concerns !

I totally agree with AndrewBig Smile [:D] about mxf files !

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

• Mon, Oct 17 2005 2:35 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

Not the same philosophy compared to MM

Informations come from database files (in OMF1Madiafiles folder), MM scans all the files.

Not only 1 or a few projects can be moved, ALL projects are concerned ! So you move all the ptojects in the OMF1Madiafiles folder(s), only HDrives can be selected

An empty OMF1Madiafiles folder gives an error message.

All new folders stay inside the OMF1Madiafiles folder(s)

No "move back" function, the Media must be brought back to OMF1Madiafiles folder's root manually

But it is FREE so it's GREAT Big Smile [:D]

sep

• Mon, Oct 17 2005 3:57 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400

hahahaha Big Smile [:D] ain't that the truth.. He promised to code in a move project function as well so you can move only projects instead of drives (with all the projects in it)

Menno

Twitter Account

My Keys

• Tue, Oct 18 2005 3:01 PM In reply to

• gobucks
    • Not Ranked
    • Toledo, OH
    • Posts 160
    • Points 1,810

Putting MM into the natural fold has been a VERY old request.  We  have all been screaming inclusion since it was shipping with Nubus systems, I know.  I wanted to stir up some banter.

A day or so after posting we came across Media SiftBig Smile [:D] and it's a great alternative.

Virtual drives?  On my system at home I was simply renaming the OMFI folder identifying to which project was being digitized. When going back to another project, I renamed the OMFI folder and changed the conformed name back to OMFI Media Files and went on with my business.  This is just as good as virtual drives.  Many similar ways to accomplish this.

Once again if you have not checked out Media Sift it is worth looking at even if you are currently using MM.

X64 Windows 7 systems, MC5.X, MOJO, multiple systems. 8540W EliteBook Q820/1800M/8GB/W7X64/MC5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 18 2005 9:46 PM In reply to

"This is just as good as virtual drives."  Yep and I used to do that for a time. 
    The downside of renaming is time.  Freequently in the middle of a project a different client urgently needs to see their project in the only 5 minutes they have available. Or another project gets signed off and needs dubs in todays courier etc. I know eliminating the arkward, untimely clients should be the preferred option!! Using virtual drives allows me to accomodate these clients quickly by simply closing a project and opening another as if the media is all in one OMFI MediaFiles folder. Still retaining the benefits of having my media split into individual project folders.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller