Latest post Thu, Nov 16 2023 11:22 AM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 31 2023 8:16 AM In reply to

Re: Avid community site is slowly being hijacked by bots.

Baklap:
    Sad to see you where right. 

What happened yesterday is another level and I can't tell if it is releated in any way. I also have no idea if is coincidence that this happened a few days after I created this thread.

All I can say that I got/get the impression that Avid, site admins and to an extend even moderators have been neglecting the site for quit some time.

A general perception of Avid more and more only being interested in investing in sales & marketing to achieve short term profit and Avid services, support, Customer Association, documentation, knowledgebase and community forums not fitting in this policy because of a believe that the internal infrastructure, organisation and after-sales aren't adding value to Avid's products.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Oct 31 2023 10:25 AM In reply to

There are certainly valid criticisms of Avid to be made, but to say in response to a spam attack consisting of over 3000 posts that the problem is the admins and mods are neglecting the forum is unfair.

Media Composer 2023.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Oct 31 2023 11:54 AM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,945
    • Points 82,935

Agreed Carl, at least as far as i am concerned. Frustration is valid but this particular case is not for the admins and mods to be responsible. Having said that looking forward to not be deleting 1000's of mails per hour :-)

camoscato:

There are certainly valid criticisms of Avid to be made, but to say in response to a spam attack consisting of over 3000 posts that the problem is the admins and mods are neglecting the forum is unfair.

@VPRO and NTR The Netherlands 40+ systems [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Thu, Nov 2 2023 3:32 PM In reply to

Carl, Baklap,

The site is back up!Smile

Baklap:
    to say in response to a spam attack consisting of over 3000 posts that the problem is the admins and mods are neglecting the forum is unfair.

I disagree. Of course there is no discussion that the blame is on the spammers and nobody else.

I'm simply saying that the Avid community forum has been the target of these spammers for a few years now and that it is my perception that Avid has left the door wide open for them because the security measures for new account creation process were never enhanced. I have no insight in whether or not mods and site admins have asked for or tried to implement any security enhancements and I apologize for my words to anyone if they tried. 

I just see this lack of investing in enhancement of the community forum site in a broader picture.

(Avid, With enhancements I mean functional. I don't think we need different colors, emojis, fonts, profile pictures, etc..)

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Nov 3 2023 1:10 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    t is my perception that Avid has left the door wide open for them because the security measures for new account creation process were never enhanced. I have no insight in wether or not mods and site admins have asked for or tried to implement any security enhancements and I apologize for my words to anyone if they tried. 

You know as well as anyone that the mods don't work for Avid. We're all volunteers who are editors. They ask us what we think, but we have no control over what forum software they use or how they implement security measures to reduce/eliminate spam.

Making sweeping generalizations about the whole group as though you're my customer is what I'm objecting to. 

Media Composer 2023.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Nov 3 2023 1:19 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 5 2011
    • Posts 171
    • Points 2,140

Regardless, this all means it is time to update the secure the forums. Maybe require captcha to post and require using full names.

• Wed, Nov 15 2023 7:32 AM In reply to

• TMVC
    • Not Ranked
    • Singapore
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,390

The architecture of this forum is very old.  Time to upgrade and secure it.  I just saw an account user called "spam avid" posting call girls and sex.  

Avid - pls. fix it or something worse might happen.  I'd hate to see phishing. 

• Wed, Nov 15 2023 7:58 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,809
    • Points 258,700
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

Agree with a lot of the comments but I dont agree that this has anythig to do with the moderators.  Carl is spot on that the users are volunteers and they do tell us like you have Jeroen when it fails but none of you are at fault... just the hackers.

This is Avid's issue front and center and it is time we step up and get new software and a platform that is stable and prevents hackers from infultrating.   The VP has been notified and have started by installing a bot check through our server and are also on to looking at possibilities to move to in the future.

I for one spend too much time now delete and chasing down spam that I shoudlnt and could spend my time on other improtant things.  So yes this is a priority for me to push ahead.

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 16 2023 11:22 AM In reply to

Marianna:

Agree with a lot of the comments but I dont agree that this has anythig to do with the moderators.  Carl is spot on that the users are volunteers and they do tell us like you have Jeroen when it fails but none of you are at fault... just the hackers.

This is Avid's issue front and center and it is time we step up and get new software and a platform that is stable and prevents hackers from infultrating.   The VP has been notified and have started by installing a bot check through our server and are also on to looking at possibilities to move to in the future.

I for one spend too much time now delete and chasing down spam that I shoudlnt and could spend my time on other improtant things.  So yes this is a priority for me to push ahead.

Marianna

Having been part of this community for quit some time I have no doubt that the moderators and especially you Marianna are spending many hours every day to keep the content of this forum at the same or higher standards as it always has been. And I can only thank the moderators and you especially for all the hard work you are doing.

That said, I wish forum users including myself would not have to engage in calling moderators, site administrators and Avid in general out when it comes to maintaining and improving the quality of this forum and Avid's products in general. I understand that moderators are 'restricted' in publicly criticising Avid but we (and when I say we I mean all involved: forum users, moderators, site admins, managers responsible for site management) reached the point where the community site went offline for 48-72 hours due to spammers. 

So, like I said before, I apologize to any of the moderators for my words if they have asked in private communications for site improvements. If they had done so publicly in the forum I would of course never accused any of them in the first place. 

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller