Latest post Mon, Feb 20 2023 3:21 PM by ck123. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 19 2023 10:39 AM

• aszach
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 24
    • Points 270
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Promoting a clip with default "T" (temporal) adjustments to a motion effect

I am trying to use Source settings and have hit a roadblock. If the source clip has all the transforms "S (spatial) and "C" (colour)" transform already applied in addition to the "T" (Temporal), then it seems that I can't promote it to a motion effect or apply a Time-warp effect either - in order to speed-it-up or slow-it-down.

Anyone have any suggestions? Am I missing some work around?

Thanks,

Susan

• Sun, Feb 19 2023 3:26 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,505
    • Points 18,780

Re: Promoting a clip with default "T" (temporal) adjustments to a motion effect

Stepping into the clip on the timeline should be able to get you down to the motion effect level.  Is that not working here?

i9 12th generation, GeForce 3070, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 19 2023 4:25 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 650
    • Points 7,800

Open the Motion Effect Editor with the cursor on the clip.
    Find the promote button in the top left corner.

Gives you Timewarp, Trim to Fill doesn't usually work anymore.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-7, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 20 2023 5:43 AM In reply to

• aszach
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 270

smrpix:

Stepping into the clip on the timeline should be able to get you down to the motion effect level.  Is that not working here?

Nope. Had alrready tried this. Can't step into the clip unless there is an effect applied. And then too, the "stepped-in/nested" clip has the "S" and "T" an therefore a motion effect cannot be applied to it.

• Mon, Feb 20 2023 5:44 AM In reply to

• aszach
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 270

Nope. Had already tried this. Have to apply an effect to Step into a clip and even then the "T" and "S" remain on the nested track - so I cannot apply a timewarp to it.

• Mon, Feb 20 2023 5:47 AM In reply to

• aszach
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 270

Lukas Boeck:

Open the Motion Effect Editor with the cursor on the clip.
    Find the promote button in the top left corner.

Gives you Timewarp, Trim to Fill doesn't usually work anymore.

Yes. While this ususally works - it only seems to work if there is ONLY a "T"/temporal change. If there is both a "T" and an "S" then it does not even allow you to open up the motion effect editor.

Trim to fill works well for me usually - just not in the case of "T"

• Mon, Feb 20 2023 9:53 AM In reply to

I've tested it and it works for me. I can press the promote button in the motion effect window and the temporal effect turns into a timewarp effect – even with T/S/C applied.

HP Z-8 | Xeon 2 x gold 5118 @ 2.3 GHz (12 cores)| 96 GB RAM | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit | Blackmagic DNxIQ | MC 22.12 | Symphony Option [view my complete system specs]

Andy Christen

• Mon, Feb 20 2023 1:52 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 28 2008
    • Posts 1,280
    • Points 15,795

Same here. It's one bug I dont have! Even if (as usual) I have the full house TSC I can always promote the source T to and editable motion effect. What version you on?

Ultimate 2022.12.1, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, WIN 11 on 7000Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro P4000, Asus Pro Art Z690 i9 12900k 5.0 GHz, 8TB M.2 SSD - its nippy!

• Mon, Feb 20 2023 3:07 PM In reply to

• aszach
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 270

I'm on 2022.12.

Currently running off my MacBook Pro laptop. Will try it on my Windows system and check.

Thank you. At least now I know that it is supposed to work :-)

• Mon, Feb 20 2023 3:21 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 297
    • Points 3,695

My personal experience is the GUI for Motion Effect is that it has become very glitchy with 22.7 and 22.12. It can require a lot of clicking in and out of the Motion Effect editor and clicking around on different clips in the sequence. Click on editor, click on clip, click on editor again, click on different clip, click back on editor, click on desired clip - hoozah. Eventually, Motion Effect editor will figure out that you are on a clip with a Timewarp and give you the option to Promote and manipulate the effect. Highly highly glitchy.

There are multiple GUI glitchy issues with 22.7 and 22.12. Example, Symphony Color will sometimes highlight the previously selected clip in your timeline, not the currently selected clip, when you attempt to edit the color. Very confusing. "Wait, which clip am I altering? The highlighted clip in the timeline is different than the clip showing in the monitor." Very confusing.

HP zBook 17 G3, G4, G5, G6; HP z220, HP z240, HP z420, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, HP Z2 mini G4, Z2 mini G5, Dell Precision 3420 & 3430, Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller