Latest post Sun, Apr 28 2019 7:27 PM by Terry Snyder. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 24 2019 9:15 PM

• spyderrp7
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 28 2011
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

White balance with slider? Warm/Cool

Hi I'm new to Media Composer. I searched the Color Correction Tools and all the FX and couldn't find an easy way to change the image from Warm to Cool and versa. Isn't it really somewhere? Maybe I have missed it somewhere?

Filed under:
  • Thu, Apr 25 2019 4:49 PM In reply to

Re: White balance with slider? Warm/Cool

Did you shoot a white card?   Or do you have any part of the shot that is white?  If so, the easiest way is to go to the Hue Offsets in the HSL tab in the Color Correction tool.  Use the eyedropper underneath the Master color wheel to remove the color cast, which essentially white balances the shot.  If there's no white in the shot to sample, I use the Master color wheel and drag it in the opposite direction--in your case from warm to cool.    Other folks use the curves, but for an overall quick correction, I prefer the color wheels. 

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, Apr 25 2019 5:53 PM In reply to

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2005
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 275
    • Points 3,635

in theory: 

warm and cool are the ratio of red and blue in the picture. drag blue curve down and red curve up - and get warmer color. cooler - is the opposite. tint  green/cyan - drag green curve around.

my zoo: NEXIS Pro 40 tb sw v18.6.1; MBPro_late_2013 15'' i7 16GBram OSX 10.12.6 MC 2018.12.1 BMD US monitor (or AJA io XT ), EXT thunderbolt NvidiaGPU... [view my complete system specs]

DJFio[DB]

• Fri, Apr 26 2019 2:17 PM In reply to

• spyderrp7
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Terry Snyder:

Did you shoot a white card?   Or do you have any part of the shot that is white?  If so, the easiest way is to go to the Hue Offsets in the HSL tab in the Color Correction tool.  Use the eyedropper underneath the Master color wheel to remove the color cast, which essentially white balances the shot.  If there's no white in the shot to sample, I use the Master color wheel and drag it in the opposite direction--in your case from warm to cool.    Other folks use the curves, but for an overall quick correction, I prefer the color wheels. 

I don't want to color correct the shot (white balance). I just want to get the warm/cool effect as easy as possible. Tweeking the Master Color Wheel is cool, I tried it and it works! Thanks for the advice!

• Fri, Apr 26 2019 2:18 PM In reply to

• spyderrp7
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

[quote user="DJFio[DB]"]

in theory: 

warm and cool are the ratio of red and blue in the picture. drag blue curve down and red curve up - and get warmer color. cooler - is the opposite. tint  green/cyan - drag green curve around.

[/quote]

I was looking for a fast way to do the Warm/Cool effect. Dragging Blue and Red curves is not that fast :-(

• Fri, Apr 26 2019 2:28 PM In reply to

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2005
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 275
    • Points 3,635

if you want easy way - buy AVX effects - > baselight, boris, sapphire, and some others offer this possibiity for some money

my zoo: NEXIS Pro 40 tb sw v18.6.1; MBPro_late_2013 15'' i7 16GBram OSX 10.12.6 MC 2018.12.1 BMD US monitor (or AJA io XT ), EXT thunderbolt NvidiaGPU... [view my complete system specs]

DJFio[DB]

• Fri, Apr 26 2019 3:54 PM In reply to

spyderrp7:
    Tweeking the Master Color Wheel is cool, I tried it and it works!

I've always liked color wheels because they are laid out with the complementary colors opposite each other, which makes it very easy to change the entire scene with one move of the mouse.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Fri, Apr 26 2019 9:13 PM In reply to

• spyderrp7
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Defininitely I will buy some effects in the future. Since I come from the audio world (Pro Tools), I'm curious to know if companies such as Boris do promotions (special prices) during Cyber Monday/ Black Friday. If yes, I will buy around that time or whenever I get a really good deal.

• Fri, Apr 26 2019 9:23 PM In reply to

Boris had an NAB discount recently.   You might email them and see if they are still offering it.

• Fri, Apr 26 2019 11:21 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,387
    • Points 97,025

It's still active until Sunday I believe.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 27 2019 10:34 AM In reply to

• spyderrp7
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Yes I have just checked it. The 50% deal is looking good for the whole package. The other 25% deals, not so much. Maybe I have been spoiled by the audio companies doing some massive discounts. But maybe in the video world massive discounts (60-80%) are not something that happens at all and 50% is the best deal I can get. I don't know. What are your thoughts? Do you prefer buying bundles or do you just buy the spesific plugins you only need? 

• Sat, Apr 27 2019 6:17 PM In reply to

By far one of the best deals I have ever seen from Boris/GenArts.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 28 2019 7:27 PM In reply to

Some of those plug-in's are indeed a good deal.  But if you are looking more for color correction, then Baselight is probably the one you'd want to go with...but it's expensive and complicated.   I would take the time to first learn MC's color correction--or Symphony, if you have it.   In all honesty, I've found I can do 95% of all color correction I need in MC/Symphony.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller