Latest post Thu, May 2 2019 5:59 PM by Job ter Burg. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 20 2019 9:10 PM

How many audio panels?

Hi,

What is the maximum amount of audio plug-in panels MC has on its audio mixer?  I have five; is there a way to increase this?

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 20 2019 9:35 PM In reply to

Re: How many audio panels?

You can have five realtime plugins per audio track, plus five on the master fader. Some plugins, like Channel Strip, are actually combinations of EQ and dynamic in a single plugin.

Additionally, you can stack up to three non-RT plugins on each individual clip in the timeline.

Are you saying you are running out of RT banks?!

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 21 2019 8:46 AM In reply to

Hi Job,

Thank you for getting back.

Yes. now that I am properly looking at what can be done with the audio (reviewing all YouTube tutorials on all the plug-ins available in MC), it seems I am running out of panels.  That compression and EQ can be handled from one is useful, but then there is also the De-Esser and Gateway (to lessen bg noise). I'm filming simple pieces-to-camera, shot on a GH5 with a Rode NTG3 mic in a space/room that is almost half a hall, with a high ceiling and that kind of echo with it.  I think the raw audio is captured reasonably technically well, but manipulations in p-p are most definitely required.

Some aditional questions:

i) Is there a technical and/or workflow difference to placing the plug-ins on the audio track as opposed to on the master fader?

ii) Is there a general chain of plug-ins to adhere to?

iii) What do you mean when you say non-RT plug-ins/adaptations can be done to the actual track?

iv) the combined compressor/EQ plug-in, how exactly to deal with this plug-in, as opposed to how they may be treated separately?

v) If, say, I did the basics - eg., compression, EQ, De-Esser, etc. - can I then audio mixdown to create an new audio with all the manipulations, and with this kinda start again with a new audio track with another set of five panels available?

vi) What might you recommend for 'fattening out' the sound to the speaker's vocals that sounded good in the performance, but now - as to be expected - once recorded sounds kinda flayt & boring in the playback?

vii) Anything else I may have missed?

Thank you,

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 21 2019 1:39 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,427
    • Points 41,320

I obviously have not heard the audio you are working with.  But I think I have been down the road you are traveling.  And that is the feeling that your audio needs help for some reason or another and if you can just find the right combination of tools - it will be great.

I have had the good fortune of working with some great audio mixers.  And they have shown me that less is more most of the time.  It is really easy to over process sound. (The same with picture.)

You need to have a good listening environment (room / speakers) and the experience to trust that. 

Then you need to be honest and ask your self is there REALLY anything wrong with the audio?  Or am I just doing stuff because I can.  This is a big temptation.

Supermandan1:

vi) What might you recommend for 'fattening out' the sound to the speaker's vocals that sounded good in the performance, but now - as to be expected - once recorded sounds kinda flayt & boring in the playback?

You may have identified the biggest issue you are facing.  Now that you are in the unflinchingly truthful edit room, you are not happy with performance.  No plugin can fix that short of ADR.  And if you are not working with talented speakers (actors?), that probably is not going to help either.

These are just my opinions based on similar experiences along the years.  Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Apr 21 2019 4:12 PM In reply to

Yikes!  I'm not going down the ADR route for several reasons.  Thanks for the general advice, and I'm watching now a Pro Tools tutorial on Channel Strip.  Still, would you please recommend a technique/plug-in for fattening out a vocal (once the De-Verb has taken out the echo from the half-hall room)?

Thank you,

DC

• Sun, Apr 21 2019 8:07 PM In reply to

Play with Channel Strip. It has an expander, EQ and compressor. You would then only need to add the de-esser.

The difference placing fx on the master fader is those get applied after all the others, on all tracks.

Usual order would be expansion first (to lower noise floor), then EQ, then Compression. Channel Strip was designed exactly for this. It mimics a channel strip on a hardware mixing disk. There are 3rd party channels strips that may even include a de-esser.

Re iii: there’s clip based effects (non-realtime) and track based effects in MC. 

Your question about making vocals sound fat is a bit too generic to answer, but would usually involve a combination of EQ, compression and limiting, and/or multiband compression (a compressor with different settings for different frequency ranges). I think MC owners recently got a single button plugin that does vocal processing (ERA Voice Leveler).

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 22 2019 12:18 PM In reply to

Thanks.

I'm watching tutorials and, overall, great.  One amongst many, what about Dither, what is its function?  I get its information-retrieving capacities, but grasp at, not quite getting it, its real-world applicability.  Should I use Dither on a simple piece-to-camera?  Is it a habit worth getting into?  It goes on the master fader? 

D.

Ps, I don't seem to have ERA Voice Leveler.

• Mon, Apr 22 2019 12:48 PM In reply to

Does this help? http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/PT/Audio_Plug-Ins_Guide_2018.1.pdf#page59

As for the ERA Voice Leveler, I think that was sent to those on perpetual licenses with an active support plan a few months ago, as part of the loyalty program. It showed up in my My Avid account. https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/loyalty-rewards?utm_medium=organicsocial&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=1553203148&fbclid=IwAR0sALKl7TXRH1ZiPhJjggITPgirxg8wvIBzKUG3DLHZMiZdJxVDoPctmoM

• Tue, Apr 23 2019 9:26 PM In reply to

Oh sh*t!  I just realised something (that you kinda said earlier but I hadn't thought it through).  A plug-in affects the whole track, which includes anything else on there.  Because mine is a relatively simply piece-to-camera I hadn't thought through the sfx as part of the book-ending titles.  In short, how to make the (workflow of) plug-ins work only for a clip and not necessarily the entrire track?

DC

• Wed, Apr 24 2019 1:56 AM In reply to

There’s two types of audio plugins: track-based and clip based. Clip-based ones, you can add usung Tools->AudioSuite, or from the Effects Palette.

You can stack up to three clip-based effects on a clip. Clip-based audio plugins need to be rendered.

• Wed, Apr 24 2019 4:18 PM In reply to

Brilliant, thank you.

As a work-around, can I keep some unique audio on one track only, therefore put the five plug-ins on that track, and all other audio (in a relatively simple edit) place on newly-createrd audio tracks?  Is there anything inherently/technically wrong with this approach?

D.

• Wed, Apr 24 2019 4:21 PM In reply to

No, that makes sense.

• Wed, Apr 24 2019 4:23 PM In reply to

Thanks,

D.

• Thu, May 2 2019 5:16 PM In reply to

H Job,

A curious thing.  So I have numerous sequences, all of which have now been prepped in terms of audio plug-ins and each one's alterations.  So now when loading each sequence into the source monitor, then aiming to string all of them together onto a new sequences, (of course I realise now) that the audio plug-in information hasn't carried over - and certainly it couldn't in the sense that only one set of plug-ins (its chain, alterations, etc.) can only make it one per track.  Still, in principle is there a way to load a prepped sequence into the source monitor, then all of this splicing in/overwriting onto the newly-intended sequence?

Thanks,

DC

• Thu, May 2 2019 5:59 PM In reply to

If you mean splicing in/ovewriting AAX plugins from sequence (in Source Monitor) to sequence (in Record Monitors): not that I am aware of, no.

You can drag AAX plugins from the mixer’s banks into a bin, and from a bin onto a track.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller