Latest post Mon, Apr 15 2019 4:04 PM by Pat Horridge. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Apr 14 2019 7:56 AM

• pjanna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 27 2019
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

backups in Avid

Hi!

What is the best way to make backup copies when editing with Avid? I already have

the MXF -files on two disks and then I have been taking a copy of the AVP -file

every now and then. But is this enough, should I also take backups of all the files

and folders in my project?

Also, using Attic is a chaos. Is there some system to make it easier to find things

in Attic?

Thank you for help!

• Mon, Apr 15 2019 12:27 PM In reply to

Re: backups in Avid

pjanna:
    What is the best way to make backup copies when editing with Avid?

Back up your projects folder.

.AVB represents specific bins. This can be considered the smallest unit in terms of backing up. Nevertheless, you want to back up the entire projects folder.

pjanna:

Also, using Attic is a chaos. Is there some system to make it easier to find things

in Attic?

Actually, the Attic is fairly straight forward. The hierarchy is Projects -> specific bins for each project -> versions of each bin. The lowest number represents the oldest version.

Amount of versions and OVERALL project-wide limits are dictated by user settings.

In general, the Attic is not necessary to back up. If you can spare the space fine.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 15 2019 4:04 PM In reply to

Re: backups in Avid

The attic is really only of use while a project is ongoing. Once a project has been backedup the attic serves no real use.

Therefore the attic should be regularly cleared out of now completed projects and only contain entries for the current project(s) being worked on.

Remember the Attic saves the "previous" bin before the last save so its always out of date. Its used for troubleshooting and distater recovery. Its not a user backup solution.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller