Latest post Sun, Apr 14 2019 3:12 PM by jcmcnamee. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 13 2019 2:50 PM

• Eyar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 21 2010
    • Israel
    • Posts 26
    • Points 320

List of feature requests

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE HE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:8.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:107%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

I've been editing on Avid Media Composer for well over a decade, and while I love it, there are certain tools and bugs that haven't changed since I strated using it, and features now considered basic that have yet to be added.
    Overall, it seems to my like Avid invests a lot of effort on big features that might be crucial for big production houses, the latest workflows and delivery and so forth. And while I understand that focus, it is important to also remember that Media Composer is not only a delivery tool for a production house, it is first and foremost an editing system for editors!
    Maybe big flashy new fetures are good for marketing, but truth is 95% of the editing process is in-out, tirm and cut, and that's the bread and butter of the editor. I also think that's where Media Composer shines above the rest, but it seems like little or no effort is being made in continuing to improves on the basics.
    Here are some of my suggestions for features I would love to have added to MC:

-Load sequences into the source monitor with a shortcut (Like middle click or alt-double click) instead of drag and dropping

-Better Animatte- The ability to move an enlarged screen while you place points, the ability to delete the last point, ability to choose the line's colour, ability to resize an animatte layer…

-add a context menu to keyframes in the effect mode, "reset to default" for resetting selected keyframes quickly.

-The ability to increase or decrease the volume levels for a sequence relatively!

-the ability to add a marker a few seconds back from when you press the add marker key, like it was possible in the capture tool

-batch render all sequences (from bin)

-In RTAS, Have Mono and Stereo effects automatically filter out according to track type (don't show Mono RTAS effects for stereo track).

-When you use the search bar in the effect palette, many actions reset the filtering. Like saving.

-Fix the Time Compression Expansion bug !!!

-Add a trim-to-fill audio effect

-Have audiosuite effects open in effects menu, and not separate tool

-When video or audio layers in the timeline are selected but out of view, add an arrow indicating you have more tracks selected, (like in it does for trims in trim mode).

-allow all freezeframes, including images and titles, have an infinite trim!

-Trim-to-fill effect doesn't work with ColorFlex

-Importing and linking media is a mess. Some file formats aren't supported in one method, but are supported in the other method. Linking and transcoding is about 4 times faster than importing directly.

-Add support for keyboard shortcut modifier keys other than shift (ctrl, ctrl+alt, ctrl+shift…)

-Show RTAS effects on the timeline when viewing Source in Timeline

-Add the ability to colour code bins (in the project window)

-proper file mp4 file exporting directly from Media Composer

• Sat, Apr 13 2019 3:57 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 231
    • Points 2,455

Re: List of feature requests

Eyar:

-The ability to increase or decrease the volume levels for a sequence relatively!

You can do this via the burger menu in the mixer. Check out this thread:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/85819.aspx

Media Composer 2018.12.3 / OS 10.14.3 27" iMac [3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB] [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 14 2019 11:38 AM In reply to

• Eyar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 21 2010
    • Israel
    • Posts 26
    • Points 320

Thank you, but that's not what I mean- you describe a meathod for adjusting the volume absolutely (change gain on all clips from from whatevery they are to another absolue value).

I'm looking for a relative gain change, for example- one clip is -2, the other is +2, and I want to increase the gain of all clips by 3. After the relative change, I'd like to get one clip at +1 (-2+3), the other at +5 (+2+3).

You can do this using keyframes and volume on the timeline, but this is a very roundabout and cumbersome way to do it

• Sun, Apr 14 2019 3:12 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 231
    • Points 2,455

I guarantee that this does let you change it relatively. I used to complain about this too until a fellow editor showed me (thanks, Jess!). You have to access it from the mixer burger menu. Its not the “set level...” item. It’s the “adjust pan/vols...” item. It will do it for the selected tracks and in/out.

Media Composer 2018.12.3 / OS 10.14.3 27" iMac [3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB] [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller