Latest post Fri, Apr 12 2019 7:19 PM by cmaeditor. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 12 2019 6:31 PM

• cmaeditor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hollywood, CA
    • Posts 137
    • Points 1,670

Media Composer 2018.12.0-3 and Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder

We have an onset editing system that consists of a Mcbook Pro and and the Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder. It's worked very well for us since we purchased iit in 2013. When we upgrade Media Composer to 2018.12 when it got released, we found that Media Composer no longer saw the Mini Recorder as a video capture device, but just as an audio capture device. We tried every combination of drivers with Media Composer, but nothing changed. I assume dit was a glitch due to the multiple changes and upgraes ove rthe past  6 years. We have figured out  workaround of using Blackmagic Media Express to capture and then AMA the quicktimes in Media Composer. I posted back in February about the issue and got silence.

We got a new 2018 Macbook Pro yesterday and I decided to do a clean install of everything, no Migration Assistant. I was hoping that this would solved the issue with Avid not seeing the video. Unfortumately that didn't happen. We got the same problem as before. I checked BME and it see's the video feed. I also checked Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018, sinc eit uses the sme Blackmagic Desktop Video drivers, and I get video and audio there as well. ONLY Avid isn't seeing the device properly.

WHY?

I've opened a support case yesterday afternoon and Avid has yet to respond. This is time sensitve as this laptop has to be on set again this weekend.

What Blackmagic Media Express sees:

What Adibe Premiere Pro sees:

What Meidis Composer sees:

Mid 2015 15" Macbook Pro 16GB Ram AMD Radeon R9 M370X [view my complete system specs]

CMA

• Fri, Apr 12 2019 6:51 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 376
    • Points 4,930

Re: Media Composer 2018.12.0-3 and Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder

Hi CMA,

I can't verify your Ultrastudio Mini Recorder setup because I have a different Blackmagic BOB (DNxID), but my device does show up as a video capture device using the v11 Desktop Video driver.

A couple of questions to troubleshoot:

- Your Audio Host is set to 1394 Firewire. Can you change that to the Mini Recorder?

- What deck controller are you using, or are you trying to crash record?

- What is your deck configuration setup? What happens when you Autoconfigure the deck?

Good luck!

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.3 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID on macOS 10.14.3, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz Intel Xeon W, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 12 2019 6:58 PM In reply to

• cmaeditor
    • Not Ranked
    • Hollywood, CA
    • Posts 137
    • Points 1,670

A couple of questions to troubleshoot:

- Your Audio Host is set to 1394 Firewire. Can you change that to the Mini Recorder?

Yes. The Blackmagic device is in the dropdown of the Audio.

- What deck controller are you using, or are you trying to crash record?

We are not using deck controll, so nothing is configured. We use this setup to capture the live video tp from the Camera on set.

- What is your deck configuration setup? What happens when you Autoconfigure the deck?

Not setup since we don't use deck control.

Mid 2015 15" Macbook Pro 16GB Ram AMD Radeon R9 M370X [view my complete system specs]

CMA

• Fri, Apr 12 2019 7:19 PM In reply to

• cmaeditor
    • Not Ranked
    • Hollywood, CA
    • Posts 137
    • Points 1,670

The configuration of the Macbook Pro

2018 Macbook Pro

OS 10.14.3

Media Composer Version 2018.12.3

Blackmagic Desktop Video version 11.1

Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder connected via Thunderbolt port.

CMA

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller