Latest post Wed, Apr 3 2019 2:40 PM by Supermandan1. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 2 2019 6:28 PM

Nice-sounding voices

Hi,

I'm not talking about EQ-ing, but something else I don't know the terminology to describe.  Is there audio plug-in in MC that can change the texture of a voice?  If a subject has, say, a grating voice, is there a way to soften it?

Thank you,

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 2 2019 11:17 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,567
    • Points 45,810
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Nice-sounding voices

Not with Media Composer without additional software, and even then it's not going to be that good.

You can de-ess the voice, and remove plosives (these happen at the ends of words). but to mollify a grating voice depends on what the voice sounds like. My own voice is pretty bad (or why you will never hear me on anything I shoot). Now I can clean it up to something sort of reasonable, but what I do is specific to me. It won't work on almost anyone else (actually it will; it turns out there are other people who do sound like me).

The point is, you need better software than what comes with Media Composer. There are plug-ins you can get that will work within MC, But I'd suggest dedicated audio software for something like this. Most of these are plug-ons for DAWs (these are VST effects, which are not supported by MC). Look at Throat EVO from Antares (https://www.antarestech.com/product/throat-evo/). This is the company that also makes AutoTune. It's an interesting product in that it effectively mimics a human throat.

Note that you require an iLok dongle to be able to trial (if you have Protools, you have an iLok). Otherwise you'll have to buy an iLok first (with shipping it's about $75 in the US). And that's just to trial it. You still have to pay for it afterwards. But it's likely the best thing out there to do what you want to do.

There are also some free software which works along the same vein, but you'll have to search for working ones, and you'll still need dedicated DAW software to use them.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Apr 3 2019 2:40 PM In reply to

Re: Nice-sounding voices

Hi Dave, Thanks for coming back, looks like a lot of work-around.  I tried the Pitch II plug-in and moved down one step on the musical scale. It's not absolutely perfect, but seems to me an acceptable solution. D.

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller