Latest post Thu, Mar 28 2019 7:12 PM by Jason Sedmak. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 24 2019 12:35 PM

• buf1986
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 9 2012
    • Posts 47
    • Points 630

Relink 4k footage to dnx36 1080p transcoded files

Hello, I am working in a project with a lot of 4k footage, I'm transcoding in dnx36 1080p in order to have a lighter workflow.

I noticed that there are some clips with the same name, I don't know if Avid will have problems when I'm going to relink the final edit. Is the relink procedure based on clip name or am I wrong?

• Sun, Mar 24 2019 1:01 PM In reply to

Re: Relink 4k footage to dnx36 1080p transcoded files

It depends on how you made the DNx36 media. Normaaly ther clips would retain Source file name and source path.

A lot of Post houses copy The source path (the card effectively) to tape id or something similar. Never use tape name for file based media!

The clip name is then irrelevant.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Mar 24 2019 1:06 PM In reply to

• buf1986
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 47
    • Points 630

In my case in the Tape ID column there is noting showing up. I'm making the dnx36 files with link to ama then transcode. I don't really know the best way to handle this clips, I tried to change names but for some reason I0m getting avid errors

• Sun, Mar 24 2019 6:32 PM In reply to

In Avid select the show columns Source File and Source Path. You should see the required metadata already there as Avid creates it when you AMA link.

Copying data to Tape.id is a manual process in case the source path gets lost (adding data to tape name clears both source file and source path)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

-

• Mon, Mar 25 2019 11:07 AM In reply to

• buf1986
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 47
    • Points 630

Thank you Pat! Nice advice. One question, I have to do this process before transcoding the footage on the linked masterclips?

• Mon, Mar 25 2019 12:34 PM In reply to

If you do it will carry across in the Transcode and thats what I normally do. But if I work on jobs that have already transcoded I'll do it then anyway. Its belt and braces but you only need it to save you once...

-

• Thu, Mar 28 2019 7:12 PM In reply to

If I may give my .02...

I NEVER EVER NEVER have had to do that long-winded tape-id copy/paste trick EVER. The relink tool in AVID is so robust there just has never been a need.

There are many many cases and differing options for workflow, but in the case of linked 4k and transcoded stuff:

To relink a sequence that uses transcoded footage to it's original (or externally color-corrected material), just open up the bins containing the original files and highlight the clips. You can highlight clips in multiple bins, but the key here is to make sure ONLY the stuff you want to relink from is highlighted. Right-click your sequence and go to the relink tool. Select (in the top window) the bullet for "Selected items in ALL open bins." Then, in the next window, you'll have to try several combinations depending on the nature of... well, everything... but the key understanding is you are relinking based on two parameters, first, start timecode (usually) and second -- and here's when some experimentation will be required -- Tape name, or clip name, or, or or.... Then, again, depending on many things, you can check "Ignore extension" so have the process ignore things like ".mov" or ".new." AND (here's where relinking from colored files come in) "Ignore characters after last occurrenc:" is where you could type in for example "_V1" for Resolve renders with suffixes. 

Even if I'm linking abridged clips to unabridged, I've never had to go over to right and use "Target (if different than Original)" so that's a last resort if all else fails. 

It's best to eliminate the linking to all three V/A/D checkboxes if you can, and pay attention to the last window if need be.

If you are relinking by "Name" you can even rename clips in the bins in case something was done wrong (for example if a colorist mistakenly rendered out of Resolve using prefix instead of suffix). Point is, it's linking based on matching two parameters, and it's VERY powerful.

Trust me, you'll be able to relink a sequence to whatever you want using this and without having to do any copy/pasting in the bin.

Hit me up if you get lost.

Good luck,

J

Hackintosh OC'd 4.9 GHz i7-7700k, AMD Radeon Vega 64, 64 GB RAM, SSD, 8x Fibre to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.14.3. Symphony... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller