Latest post Thu, Mar 21 2019 10:31 PM by BenoitM. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 19 2019 3:19 PM

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,199
    • Points 14,390

MC crash: all saves since session start lost and more !

I've been working for more than one hour on CC work when MC crashed.

To my big surprise, when I relaunched, ALL work done in that session had been lost, *regardless* of the background bin saves (set to 5 minutes !) AND some intermediate CTRL-S just to be sure. The state of the bin is just the same as the latest found in the Attic. This is so unbelievable !!!! How is this possible ???
    To make things worse, it appears that the latest version of the sequence in the bin is corrupt and exhibits "Range specified for DUP is outside range of component" when I try to duplicate it (http://community.avid.com/forums/p/126451/723821.aspx#723821)...
    The same yields for many generations of this bin in the Attic, which contains 100s of hours work.
    So now I have to not only redo all the work from the crashed session, but I also have to find which clip causes the corruption that prevents to make a new version of the sequence ! Not sure yet how to do that in this 45 minutes multicam sequence. Let alone investigating why and when did corruption creep into this sequence ???

Sorry for the rant  -- I'm just extremely angry -- MC stability on my Avid-supported system has been so problematic since months (a couple of cases still open, and I'm not counting the crashes that I don't even bother reporting because they seem so random and unreproducable) - OK dumping my anger here isn't a good idea and I apologize for the tone of this post, but I really needed to express my frustration of past hundreds of unexpected crashes and hours of work lost. Every other minute I wonder if I should change editing software and take the pain to start the uphill battle of a fully new way of working - or are other editing systems just equally fragile ?
    Or it's perhaps just me -- and I should start growing vegetables instead.

I also wonder how many people here, professional or amateur editors (like me) actually get at least one crash/hang a day when working with MC ?

At this point, I will now, every hour at a minimum:
    - Create a new version (duplicate) each sequence I'm working on
    - Save and *EXIT* MC.

MC 2018.12.1 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (11.0.0.0); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz -... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 19 2019 5:52 PM In reply to

Re: MC crash: all saves since session start lost and more !

BenoitM:
    At this point, I will now, every hour at a minimum:
    - Create a new version (duplicate) each sequence I'm working on
    - Save and *EXIT* MC.

I feel your pain...   I've also learned the hard way to Save & Exit whenever I'm doing (or I am about to start) some critical editing.   This seems to ensure some degree of safety. 

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Tue, Mar 19 2019 7:21 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 354
    • Points 4,170

background save has been a complete disaster. We have seen similar, though not quite as dramatic bin corruption issues since moving to 2018.12.  

we now have all users entering the console command "backgroundbinsave" in the mc console after opening a project.

see these two related threads:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/180988.aspx?PageIndex=1 

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/196214.aspx

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Thu, Mar 21 2019 1:06 PM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,000

Yeah I've seen something similar and have an open case... I was hoping for a fix in 2018.12.2 but it does not seem to be mentioned in the ReadMe :-/

A couple of things that might help:

You can run the console commands "backgroundbinsave" and "switchbinsaveworkflow" to switch off background bin save. Unfortunately that must be done each time Media Composer is restarted.

If you run the command "atticinfo" Media Composer should print a message to the console every time it saves to attic. Then you should be able to see if it does or does not save to attic.

The clip(s) causing the "Range specified..." error can probably be found by the Divide and Conquer Technique. Last time I had the error I found out that I could not make a sub sequence of my whole sequence - an error would pop up. Then I tried making a sub sequence of the first half. That worked. Second half didn't and then I tried with smaller and smaller portions of the timeline till I found a timewarp and a dissolve that were corrupt...

Media Composer 2018.12.1 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. Plus a lot of HP Z420... [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Thu, Mar 21 2019 10:31 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,199
    • Points 14,390

knejmann:
    The clip(s) causing the "Range specified..." error can probably be found by the Divide and Conquer Technique. Last time I had the error I found out that I could not make a sub sequence of my whole sequence - an error would pop up. Then I tried making a sub sequence of the first half. That worked. Second half didn't and then I tried with smaller and smaller portions of the timeline till I found a timewarp and a dissolve that were corrupt...

Yep I found the culprit by dichotomy: an unrendered Boris Red 5.6 effect...

MC 2018.12.1 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (11.0.0.0); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz -... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller