Latest post Tue, Feb 12 2019 8:45 PM by Job ter Burg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 12 2019 11:06 AM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 162
    • Points 2,250

Simplifying multiple frame grabbing

I often make framegrabs from my captured footage for use in other media. I typically do this clip by clip in the source viewer using the "Export to file>tiff" option.

Handling maybe 100 framegrabs in this way is slow because of the multiple mouseclicking and the necessity of creating a unique name when grabbing several shots from a single clip.

I would love to see an option whereby framegrabbing - after the first grab where the destinaion directory and format is selected, becomes a "one-click process" - automatically giving a unique filename (for example clipname+timecode). This should be a feature button that could be mapped via the command pallete - ideally to a keyboard key or even a hardware button on Artist transport.

Such a feature would dramatically speed up the process of grabbing many frames from a project.

Any chance of this sometime in the future?

(I'm in 8.5.3 so maybe its already there in later versions?) :)

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Tue, Feb 12 2019 12:35 PM In reply to

Re: Simplifying multiple frame grabbing

Would it be a solution to splice your framegrabs into a sequence, then export that sequence as sequential TIFFs?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 12 2019 12:46 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 162
    • Points 2,250

Not really, because that would result in individual framegrabs that no longer were identified by clip ID.

The advantage of the present manual export approach is that the system creates a default filename based on the clip name. If you export more than one grab from a single clip, you need to add a suffix to the second so as not to overwrite the first (and so on) - hence my suggestion to automatically add the timecode of the IN as a suffix, giving a unique identifier that also allows one to go back to the original frame.

I have seen such an approach with other systems, and this enables really fast grabbing with much reduced mousework - I would love to have this option in MC.

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Tue, Feb 12 2019 8:45 PM In reply to

I understand. And using the subclip function, then export all from the bin?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller