Latest post Mon, Jan 28 2019 10:42 PM by Adrian Redmond. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 28 2019 6:17 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 162
    • Points 2,250

Fade in / out notation on timeline clips

At the risk of herasy to the Avid look, I can't help but suggest that the way in which a dissolve or fade in /out effect is displayed on a clip on the timeline should be slightly modified, because the current method is counter intuitive.

Whilst it is visually logical that a fade in (especially audio) is displayed as a line sloping up from left to right ( / ), it seems illogical that a fade out is displayed in the same way - in my humble option (coloured certainly from 18 years with Liquid) a fade out should be displayed in the opposite manner - a line sloping down from top left to bottom right ( \ ) - in this way the display mimics what the effect actually does - the level decreases.

On the same subject, there was a little finnesse in Liquid that I still miss in MC - the icon for an transition effect was a small rectangle, positioned over the clip or transition with a position and length proportional to the actual duration and timing of the effect - this was much more visually intuiitive. Liquid also had the advantage that the transition icon itself could be dragged left or right with the mouse to adjust its duration - and simply double-clicking on the icon opened the requisite transition editor.

I do often wonder why Avid - having bought Liquid from Pinnacle, didn't "steal" some of its good ideas before discontinuing the product - maybe Liquid can still be of inspiration?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Mon, Jan 28 2019 7:08 PM In reply to

Re: Fade in / out notation on timeline clips

Adrian Redmond:
    On the same subject, there was a little finnesse in Liquid that I still miss in MC - the icon for an transition effect was a small rectangle, positioned over the clip or transition with a position and length proportional to the actual duration and timing of the effect - this was much more visually intuiitive. Liquid also had the advantage that the transition icon itself could be dragged left or right with the mouse to adjust its duration - and simply double-clicking on the icon opened the requisite transition editor.

Look up "Modifying Transition Effects in the Timeline" in the MC Help.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jan 28 2019 7:19 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 162
    • Points 2,250

Thanks Carl - on the modifying bit I must stand corrected!

But the way fade outs are shown could be changed :)

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond

• Mon, Jan 28 2019 8:11 PM In reply to

• GT
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 374
    • Points 4,095

Adrian Redmond:
    having bought Liquid from Pinnacle, didn't "steal" some of its good ideas before discontinuing the product - maybe Liquid can still be of inspiration?

Avid bought Pinnacle and then later sold Pinnacle (including Liquid) to Corel several years ago. Corel amalgamted Liquid into the Studio series editing packages (Ver 16 I think). So Liquid has not been part of Avid for quite some time now.

MC Ver 8.7, Intel Core I5, NVidia Quadro FX 570, 16Gb Ram, 250 Gb system drive, 2 Tb Render/Media drive, Windows 7 64bit Pro, QT 7.6.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 28 2019 10:28 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,382
    • Points 96,980

Adrian, with respect, you appear to be trying to force MC to work as Liquid did.  If you use Avid as it's designed to be used and not as a surrogate Liquid you will be much happier.  I for one find Avid's dissolve symbol quite intuitive, as I find Lightworks', Vegas' and Premier's too.  They all differ somewhat, but they all make sense.

That's not to say that Media Composer is perfect - no application is.  But flooding the forums with requests to make Avid more like Liquid won't help you or Avid.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 28 2019 10:42 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 162
    • Points 2,250

Ouch! :)

Not at all - I am simply commenting on something thta seems illogical to look at - like a symbol that doesn't say what it symbolises. But I did warn myself (and others) that such a suggestion might be Avid herasy. I stand corrected!

I'm not trying to get MC to work like Liquid - MC is something else and can do far more stuff. But now and again I do fall over features from other applications (though I don't know much about Lightworks, Premiere og FCP) that are real timesavers.

My apologies if you are tired of me talking about Liquid :)

Adrian Redmond

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller