Latest post Fri, Jan 25 2019 8:39 PM by jef. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 24 2019 1:58 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 162
    • Points 2,250

Uncommented markers?

When defining a clip marker, Avid automatically opens a dialogue box in which one can write a note explaining the marker - this is very useful when working with many markers and many clips.

But some of us use markers sparingly - and often know what the marker denotes - for example, when cutting interviews, I often place a marker between the reporters question and the beginning of the subjects reply, so that when editing I can quickly jump to the start of the effective content. This use of markers accounts for the majority of my marker use.

In such cases the task of closing the marker text box every time is simply an added task. Could it not be possible to have one marker colour defined to operate without a text dialogue popup, for thos of us who regularly use uncommented markers?

It would be good if such markers could be added (in the source viewer) on the fly, without stopping the playback, as they rarely need to be frame precise.

Thanks...

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Thu, Jan 24 2019 3:21 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 726
    • Points 11,055

Re: Uncommented markers?

This is the way markers USED to work.  They were much, much better back then.  I'm not sure exactly who uses the dialog boxes, but they are a massive step backwards in practice.  I'm almost positive that change was dictated by Avid management (who never edited once in their lives), and not by actual editors who would have known better. Please Avid, read the comment above and understand that Adrian is exactly right.  Bring back markers that don't mess up our smooth ninja-like workflow. The people who dictated that mistake probably don't even work there anymore.  Smile

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Thu, Jan 24 2019 3:36 PM In reply to

A simple slution would be to designate one type of marker (we have what 8 colours so pick one) and make it comment free.

So maybe black. A black marker has no comments and doesn't open the dialogue box. All the rest still do.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Jan 24 2019 3:53 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 162
    • Points 2,250

This is what I am hoping to achieve - though I can't see from you post whether this is already possible. Here in MC 8.5.3 I can't find any black marker buttons in the command pallette and all the other 8 markers invoke the dialogue box. If this is possible already, where do I find the black market button? :)

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond

• Thu, Jan 24 2019 5:12 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 726
    • Points 11,055

Pat was just expressing a possible feature request with the black markers idea.  It's a pretty good solution/compromise that I would not have imagined. Nice brain, Pat!

For me, I use a couple of markers, green and red, to demonstrate "good" and "bad" spots.  So, personally, I'd love to have a couple of colors, but if I only get black, that would certainly be an improvement.   

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Jan 25 2019 1:25 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 162
    • Points 2,250

Curiously in MC 8.5.3 the "black" marker is actually grey in the command palette - though ti does make a black marker when applied - but as Atomike concludes, it currently still invokes the dialogue box.

I would suggest that the question of whether any color marker invokes a dialoge box should be user defineable - also I would suggest that the button/icon for black markers is black instead of grey :)

Uncommented markers should IMHO be possible to apply "on the fly" so as not to interrupt playback.

I hope someone at Avid considers the above :)

Adrian Redmond

• Fri, Jan 25 2019 3:58 PM In reply to

MC 2018.12 already has options around Marker comments display. (Thanks to AvidTina for this)

If you open the markers window and choose the hamburger menu it gives you options.

Disable edit marker dialogue when adding

Disable edit marker dialogue while playing

Disable edit marker dialogue always

Does this serve the purpose :-)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Jan 25 2019 6:13 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 162
    • Points 2,250

That sounds good news Pat - I'll soon have to shell out for an upgrade to 2018,12 :)

Adrian Redmond

• Fri, Jan 25 2019 8:15 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 726
    • Points 11,055

Oh my Goobers!  Pat, I had no idea this was in the 2018.12 release. How did I miss that?  Regardless, thanks so much for this information - you've made my day.  Please tell one of your co-workers to buy you a donut. You deserve it!

• Fri, Jan 25 2019 8:39 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,338
    • Points 40,375

No need to upgrade.

Unless I am really missing something in this conversation, the feature Pat describes has been around for many versions.  It is just that in 2018.12 the UI for it has changed.

My system is tied up right now, but do some right  clicking around the marker box (or read the manual) and you should find the options.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller