Latest post Fri, Feb 1 2019 9:10 PM by Thomas. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 12 2019 10:56 PM

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 23 2014
    • Cologne
    • Posts 46
    • Points 635

Background Bin Save is a disaster

Please do not use it. 

This feature saves our Bins with 0kb! Also in the Attic-Folder! Already the second workstation has got infacted by that problem. So we deactivated BackgroundBinSave in the Console. But hey what a disaster is this? It is not a real Background save. It is saving in an temporal bin and when it wants to write the original bin it can´t because the "lck" (Bin-lock) File! So this is not working at Windows. With Mac we had another Issue: When we rendered Sequences and saved them via Background BinSave and closed the Bin and opened the Bin on another Windows workstation,  then always the last ca. 50 effects of the sequence which has been rendered are not rendered / or the renderfiles have not been saved. Deactivate it in the Console, type "backgroundbinsave" and hit enter.
    several Avid Workstations, Baselight One [view my complete system specs]

Thomas Poerschke, Editor & Colorist

ColorGrading.TV @ MMC Studios Köln, Am Coloneum 1, 50829 Cologne, Germany
    web: www.colorgrading.tv

• Sun, Jan 13 2019 4:36 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,527
    • Points 45,365
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Background Bin Save is a disaster

Thomas,

Did you look at the response time between auto-saves? By default it's set for every 15 minutes. In other words, you can lose up to 15 minutes work.

As to the render issue, it could be the 15 minute gap. Or the PC workstation can't access the render directory used by the Mac.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Jan 13 2019 1:20 PM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne
    • Posts 46
    • Points 635

I can set 1 second or 1 hour as auto save, when it is activated Avid can not save the Bin because it is locked. Without Backgraound Bin Save it works normal.

The render-directory is only one drive, so either all renderfiles are online or offline, but after the Mac rendered it with background bin save activated and then closes the bin and open it at Windows only the 70 % of the sequence is rendered.

• Sun, Jan 13 2019 10:42 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,527
    • Points 45,365

It's working on my system. I set the time to 1 minute, idle time to 15 secconds, and force-save to 5 minutes, made changes to the bin, waited for 5 minutes to guarantee a save, and then ended the Avid process in the task manager. When I reopened the project, the bin was in the state in which  I left it.

Exactly what steps are you doing so that we can try and reproduce the error.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Jan 14 2019 11:42 PM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne
    • Posts 46
    • Points 635

We have seen, that under Windows with Background Bin Save activated Baselight for Avid PlugIn does not work correctly. It crashs all the time. Unfortunately Background Bin Save is always reactivated when we restart Avid.

There should be a function to deactivate Background Bin Save permanently.

Just save manually all open Bins and Settings with BBS activated and then try to enter BL for Avid. It crashs before you can open it.

Mac Renderfiles under Background Bin Save are not saved correctly. (Just render a clip under BBS and open it under Windows) 

Pls check this out. We also had varios lost of sequences in the last 3 days and could find them in the attic folder. The problem seems to be, that we have a network of 2 windows PC and one Mac and all opens the same bins to different times. I can see, that when the BBS-Time activated, then the bin is not saved during closing!!!! So in dependence to the adjusted time of BBS you lose your work what was made after the last automatic BBS-save.  without BBS active everything works well.

• Tue, Jan 15 2019 3:43 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,527
    • Points 45,365

I don't have BaseLight or a Mac, so I'm unable to test. I do see the issue with background save being renenabled every time you start MC. The obvious work-around (and I admit it's not great) is to disable it every time you start MC. I'll have to ask if this is intentional or if the setting should be saved across application starts.

Dave S.

• Tue, Jan 15 2019 5:37 PM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne
    • Posts 46
    • Points 635

Thank you, and could you control if Bins will be saved when closing under BBS active?

• Fri, Feb 1 2019 5:20 PM In reply to

We are having the same issue.  Nothing saved on 2012.12.  We do have the Baselight Plugin installed.

MC/SN 2018.6+7+8+9+12 x 16 Z400/420/440 PC's on W7 x64. 2 x Mac, 4 x PT 12.8.1 HDX, S6 all on PCs. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 1 2019 7:51 PM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 177
    • Points 1,920

I’ve found another console command that affects saving: SwitchBinSaveWorkflow. I’m not sure exactly what it does but it seems to improve stability when I’m using Baselight. And if switches off something that is used for background bin saving …

Another observation: I have had a bin that didn’t save to the bin or to the attic for two hours. No error messages or warnings- not even on manual saves. It occurred after I tried to fix a sequence with the repairsequences command. The command couldn’t repair all errors on one sequence so I made a new sequence and edited all of my timeline into that. Problem solved.

Two hours later MC crashed for some reason and when I reopened my bin the new sequence and two hours of work was gone :-(

i switched off background bin save and repeated the steps with repairsequences and NOW MC told me that there was a defective sequence and that the bin could not be saved!

Media Composer 8.2.11 (some with Symphony option) - Windows 7 - HP Z420/Z820 (Nitris DX), Lenovo W540 etc. - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist... [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Fri, Feb 1 2019 8:25 PM In reply to

I suspect one consequence of background saving is any errors encountered have no user interaction to report them.

we have seen issues before with damaged bin contents causing autosaves to notr happen and a lot of editing time lost.

If manual saves are producing errors then autosaves will fail as will background saves.

Doing regular manual saves are stillthe only way to be sure your work is secure and its  atrick old school editors won't drop.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Feb 1 2019 9:10 PM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
    • Cologne
    • Posts 46
    • Points 635

Hello ShadenFreude,

what storage are you using? In our case we are using Facilis Terrablock.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller