Latest post Fri, Jan 11 2019 11:58 AM by William Davis. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 8 2019 8:15 PM

• William Davis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 21 2010
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 16
    • Points 215

4k workflow with Sony cam

I'd like to hear the experience of someone who has begun a 4K project using a Sony camcorder with the NABLET plugin. Do you have difficulties importing and using the footage? Did the system run unreasonably slowly? Were you able to obtain a satisfactory 4K output?  I would like to buy the Sony camera and plugin, but would like to know first if it is possible, or a pain in the ass to use.

• Tue, Jan 8 2019 9:25 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Maryland
    • Posts 651
    • Points 7,835

Re: 4k workflow with Sony cam

I have been filming green-screen two camera UHD with a Sony F5 and an Sony A7RII.  Basic workflow because I can’t time-code jam-sync the two cameras is I use the NABLET plugin to link the files,  transcode to DNxHR,  group using waveform analysis and multi-cam, cut,  export the sequence via aaf, import in Resolve, color correct the green-screen material, deliver from Resolve using  Avid AAF in Resolve,  link the Resolve sequence inside Avid and key using Avid Spectra Matte. 

I round-trip the workflow in UHD and after keying the material in Avid I change the format to 1080p and use frame-flex to reframe the clips.  I know it sounds complicated but it goes fast once you have the workflow down.  

If I purchase a Tentacle for the A7RII I could jam sync the two cameras via time-code and not transcode the clips in Avid but work with the linked time code synced camera files.  With non time code sync files, resolve cant find the A7RII files.

If I’m filming with 2 or 3 F5 cameras with jam synced time code this is how I cut, completely eliminating the transcoding in Avid, delivering the CC sequences DNxHR out of Resolve and into Avid.

Here is a link to a video cut using the above method using the F5 and A7RII;

https://cocklinsdigital.com/portfolio/kidney-precision-medicine-project/

HP Z800 2x 3.46GHz Hex Core X5690, 48GB Ram, Windows 10, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, Avid Mojo DX, Nvidia Quadro K4000, GTX 1080 FTW, DeckLink SDI 4K,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 8 2019 9:51 PM In reply to

• William Davis
    • Not Ranked
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 16
    • Points 215

I greatly appreciate your explanation, thank you for taking the time to lay out such a detailed workflow. Unfortunately, your explanation scares the hell out of me, and I don't think I'll be investing in 4k until Avid and Sony manage to simplify their interface

• Tue, Jan 8 2019 10:17 PM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 3 2006
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 339
    • Points 4,710

We have good old HP Z800s. With 96GB of RAM. Nvidia M4000. All flavors of Sony XAVC plays poorly as AMA linked footage...in 1080i. (using Nabit's plug in. MC 2018.X+ apparently doesn't need Nabit) We transcode all XAVC in order to edit. 4K in cameras seems so common place, without a price premium, you might want to get a 4K cam. just to have that option. We frequently use F5/F7 but always shoot 1080 as we tend to do long form industrial with delivery on the web. Considering how long it took Avid to even support XAVC I wouldn't hold my breath for any Avid/Sony kumbaya moment anytime soon. Regardless if codec, 4K is a lot of data to push around. 

MC 2018.10 w/Symphony option. NitrisDX, HP Z800 Dual 2.67Ghz, 96GB Ram, Nvidia M4000, BCC2019, Sapphire2019, TitlePro5, ProTools 10.5,Terrablock 24XS Multi... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

• Tue, Jan 8 2019 10:19 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Maryland
    • Posts 651
    • Points 7,835

If your just going streight in, not multicam two cameras and not running through Resolve it really is quite simple.  The Sony A7RII links perfectly now with the Avids native link.  I think Avid has nailed it with a multitude of workflows. 

HP Z800 2x 3.46GHz Hex Core X5690, 48GB Ram, Windows 10, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, Avid Mojo DX, Nvidia Quadro K4000, GTX 1080 FTW, DeckLink SDI 4K,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 9 2019 1:13 PM In reply to

• William Davis
    • Not Ranked
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 16
    • Points 215

Now I'm looking at the Canon Vixia GX10, has anyone worked with this camera in MC?

• Fri, Jan 11 2019 11:58 AM In reply to

• William Davis
    • Not Ranked
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 16
    • Points 215

I settled on the Sony AX100, with the Nablet plugin and AMA link, all the footage appears without having to wait for import, though transport is less responsive

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller