Latest post Wed, Dec 26 2018 1:11 AM by jef. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 23 2018 10:42 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,255

Render storage location

Please consider modifying the media creation tool so as to allow the user - on a per project basis - to designate not only a specific drive for render files, but also a specific folder - that way, it would be easy to keep render files separate from master clips without having to dedicate an entire drive/array to the task. This is the way I would prefer to manage my storage, but MC doesn't allow this at present.

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Tue, Dec 25 2018 2:04 PM In reply to

Re: Render storage location

Why would you need to have a special folder only for render files, having the media tool which can differentiate them and allow you to simply get rid of renders if you need it?

Another approach of what you are looking for, is to ingest all the media you are going to need, then, before start editing and start doing renders, rename the folder which contains your media, and name it for instance 1000 instead of 1, then as soon as you start doing renders, the system will put all your renders inside the 1 folder. There you have it.

Media Composer has a different approach to handle media that Adobe or FCP does, and this is because it has many powerful tools to manage media instead of doing that at the OS level.

HTH.

Regards.

Diego

* Avid Media Composer 8.6.5 * MacBook Pro 8,3

• Tue, Dec 25 2018 5:04 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,255

Thanks Diego!

There can be many reasons for being able to define the render drive/folder - to spread the playback stram between several drives, to make it easier to overview and sort (without the media tool - or simply a question of "mental hygiene" - personally, I hate applications that force me to use specific locations for storing data :)

I an interested in your idea about renmaing folders - this would also enable me to acheive another goal - having master clips stored in a "per-project" folder to make it easier to see - even at OS level, how much media data a given project has. I' like this idea. Are there any rules as to what the folder can be renamed to? Integers only or free-choice? I'm presuming that renaming has to be done in Avid so that the clips data gets re-parented?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Tue, Dec 25 2018 11:01 PM In reply to

You are welcome Adrian.

In MC you can only define drive for renders, not folders.

In MC you should do everything from inside the application, that's the spirit behind on it. 

"how much media data a given project has"

You can know this with Media Tool.

"Are there any rules as to what the folder can be renamed to?"

With numbers for sure will always work, but you can rename it with characters, I usually don't do it but I think it has a limitation, I don't know which exactly it is, but probably if you rename it and you delete its indexing database, probably it won't be recreated.

Do your tests and find the limitation. It won't take you too much time. When you get media offline, that means you found a limitation! hahaha

"I'm presuming that renaming has to be done in Avid so that the clips data gets re-parented?"

You can't rename this folder from within Media Composer, you must do it at the OS level.

Regards.

Diego

* Avid Media Composer 8.6.5 * MacBook Pro 8,3

• Wed, Dec 26 2018 1:11 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,305
    • Points 40,020

diegovillalba:

"Are there any rules as to what the folder can be renamed to?"

With numbers for sure will always work, but you can rename it with characters, I usually don't do it but I think it has a limitation, I don't know which exactly it is, but probably if you rename it and you delete its indexing database, probably it

If you are on direct attached storage, the rule is that folder must be numbered to be scanned to see any new media that is added.

If a folder has been scanned and  the .mdb file created, you can rename it to something meaningful with letters.  Avid will still see the media that is in there, BUT any new media put in this folder will NOT be scanned or seen.

The rules are a bit different if you are on shared storage.  Then each computers "name" will come into play.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller