Latest post Fri, Dec 14 2018 9:53 PM by jef. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 13 2018 8:14 PM

RED/ARRI Workflow for huge project

Howdy folks!  First time poster.  I'm scowering the net for workflow advice on how to handle an insane amount of media I have to transcode for a project my company is working on.  I've been tasked with said resposibility and I'm struggling with the best way to move forward, so I figured why not come to the source and ask the experts!

So here's the issue:

We are working on follow doc style with nearly 40TB of RED and ARRI footage.  Our editing team uses Avid, while our in house team has really only worked in Premiere.  My process for getting media ready for Avid has been extremely slow and terribly frustrating trying to maintain the same file structure for when we relink after the edit is finished.  I have a few questions regarding this process -

- how important is it for Avid to have the same baseline file structure as our original media's drive?  Or perhaps the better question is, how does Avid handle relinking to the original files after the fact?  Is this done in another program or is Avid capable of doing this? 

- am I best off using something like REDCINE X to transcode media, or can Avid transcode media?  I've also read a bit about DaVinci's ability to handle this.  

- is there anything out there in the world that is able to clone my file structure or am I stuck manually transcoding every single folder for Avid?

Hopefully that's a good enough start to my situation.  Let me know if I can provide any other info!  Thanks so much for your time and help.

• Fri, Dec 14 2018 9:53 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,375
    • Points 40,765

Re: RED/ARRI Workflow for huge project

I do not want to sound negative, but my first question is how time sensitive is this?  I ask because there is a LOT to learn to do this correctly.  And if this is NOT done correctly it could cost the project a lot of time (and money) at the end.

If you have a lot of time before editorial needs to get to work, then you could research here and elsewhere and test with the edit team untill you get a bombproof method down.

But if you do NOT have the time, I would strongly urge you to hire an experienced Assitant Editor to at least set up the method and train you.

You could start by asking the edit team for help on this.  They are the ones who will be dealing with the results of your work.  Do they have an experienced Assit working with them?  If so, have that person train you.  If not, do they know someone?

This is not a task for a first time Avid user.  I can imagine the issues you face.  I would not want to be in your position. Learning how to do all of this via the internet would be difficult, to say the least.

Just my opinion based on having had to clean up the disasters that have occured when a project was not started correctly.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller