Latest post Tue, Dec 18 2018 3:44 PM by camoscato. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 12 2018 4:37 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,475

Using Command palette to create and arrange buttons

Every time I open the command palette to find a command, I am faced with the problem that all the regions of the GUI to where buttons can be mapped, are full, and that useful regions, to where I would like to map a button, are locked.

Why is there such a long space of "useful screen real-estate" to the right of the audio meter on the timeline windows - here could be useful additional button space?

Is it possible to create a third row of buttons under the source/record viewer windows?  Or even on the open space above or below the segment tools?

Are all user defined mappings saved with the user settings - or can they be saved to individual workspace settings - it could be useful to be able to allocated some extra buttons for use in some operations, for which there are separate workspaced defined - is this possible?

Yes, I am using the small quick menu for parking otherwise unmapped useful buttons, but I am hoping for something more related to the areas of the display where I am working when I need a function button.

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Wed, Dec 12 2018 4:48 PM In reply to

Re: Using Command palette to create and arrange buttons

Adrian Redmond:
    Is it possible to create a third row of buttons under the source/record viewer windows?  Or even on the open space above or below the segment tools?

No, and no.

Adrian Redmond:
    Are all user defined mappings saved with the user settings - or can they be saved to individual workspace settings - it could be useful to be able to allocated some extra buttons for use in some operations, for which there are separate workspaced defined - is this possible?

I just tried changing button mapping in one workspace, but the button mapping changed in all my workspaces, so it seems like you can't have different button mapping in different workspaces.

I'd suggest posting these requests in the feature requests forum.

http://community.avid.com/forums/44.aspx

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Dec 14 2018 9:58 AM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,000

camoscato:
    I just tried changing button mapping in one workspace, but the button mapping changed in all my workspaces, so it seems like you can't have different button mapping in different workspaces.

Have you tried to link the workspace to named settings?

You can create different named versions of your Timeline settings and composer settings and link them to different workspaces: It's described here https://youtu.be/Zxn3uJT1uIc?t=354

Media Composer 2018.12.1 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. Plus a lot of HP Z420... [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Fri, Dec 14 2018 6:19 PM In reply to

knejmann:

Have you tried to link the workspace to named settings?

You can create different named versions of your Timeline settings and composer settings and link them to different workspaces

Yes, I have workspaces set up with linked settings, but unfortunately the buttons in the timeline and composer windows do not change when the workspaces (and linked settings) change.

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Fri, Dec 14 2018 9:37 PM In reply to

Did you know you can Expand that Tool Palette Menu to a gigantic size - a huge or oblong matrix of available icons, and load it with map-ables? It is a floating window of sorts so you can hide it behind other tools but it comes fully in front if you do much as touch any part of it that’s visible... then retreats behind when you touch something that was (mostly) in front.

Use Save Current in your various workspaces and it survives if you switch projects, or power down. When I played with that years ago, that customized Fast Menu would disappear after power downs.

I'm on pc v8.8.4

Another thought is to manually switch customized User Profiles, if using existing Real Estate is a better  option for you.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 15 2018 7:30 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,147
    • Points 13,000

Blimey. First thing I do if I have to recreate settings is hide just about all of the GUI buttons. Folks work differently for sure.

Definitely post feature requests but also consider using the keyboard (although I’m imagining you are a pen & tablet person, hence the buttons). I have most of my important ones loaded on left hand side of keyboard so that right hand is free for mouse.

• Mon, Dec 17 2018 9:29 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,579
    • Points 65,455

By pushing the SHIFT key You get access to an almost empty keyboard full of keys available to map to Your likings. Not exactly what You're asking for, but still a workaround to further customize Your keyboard.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Dec 18 2018 3:18 PM In reply to

camoscato:
    but unfortunately the buttons in the timeline and composer windows do not change when the workspaces (and linked settings) change.

You can duplicate and create different Composer settings and link them by name as well, as far as I know

pixel

iMac Mid 2016 / Sierra 10.12.6 / 32 GB RAM / MCA 2018.4 / MojoDX / Adobe CC 2018 / MBPro Mid 2015 / High Sierra 10.13. 6/ 16 GB RAM / MC 2018.8 / Adobe... [view my complete system specs]

What is editing? It´s the process of transforming a collection of badly focussed or horribly framed shots containing reversed screen directions, flare and dirt into a smooth visual statement of the script... ... for which the director takes the credit!

• Tue, Dec 18 2018 3:44 PM In reply to

pixels.paradise:

camoscato:
    but unfortunately the buttons in the timeline and composer windows do not change when the workspaces (and linked settings) change.

You can duplicate and create different Composer settings and link them by name as well, as far as I know

pixel

Having tested this a little more, pixel is right. The buttons in the composer window change when you change composer window settings, but the buttons in the timeline window do not change from one set of settings to another.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller