Latest post Mon, Nov 26 2018 12:25 PM by luca.mg. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 20 2018 1:00 AM

Time to renew... Can we trust you Avid?

I got an email message reminding me that one of my support plans is due to renewal. Thanks for the reminder but I’m not sure if I will renew again. It's ironic that the sales guy has a 'no reply email account'.  Is he a real person? Who ever heard of a sales guy that you can't contact?

This kind of 'subscription' based licencing demands that we the customer trust you the company to provide the services that you promise. It's a one sided contract with no guarentee.  This past year that trust has been eroded and I find myself asking if after 27 years of using Media Composer maybe it's time to look at other NLEs.

Nearly every version of your software is filled with new show stopping bugs and I’m tired of waiting for the endless old problems to be resolved. In 2018 there have been 9 releases and only two of these have been stable enough to use on mission critical projects. 

Your beta testing program is failing to idientify major problems that emerge as soon as your customers (the victims) try to use the new releases.  Major operational bugs should be fixed with patch releases right away. Instead, we have to wait for the next scheduled update.  This generally means we have to roll back to an earlier version. Many bugs are reported as fixed but actually often are not completely fixed.  Yes, you do provide a constant stream of 'new features' in your updates but that added funcionality often breaks other things.

Compared to other NLEs The playback engine is still slow, and waveforms are a huge bottleneck in performance, exporting seems to get broken on every other new release. IO hardware performance has never returned to the way it was 15 years ago. You advertise  'Support from our experts to help you enhance your editing workflow'. Enhancing something requires that it's actually working in the first place! I don't want to switch my two licenses but the only thing stopping right me now (and the other 10 subscriptions that I indirectly secure for you) is the hope that things will improve. Can we trust you Avid? David Richardson, Editor
    Multiple Mac systems, MAC Pro, MacBook Pro's, OS Sierra, AJA IO 4K, T-Tap. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 20 2018 7:35 AM In reply to

Re: Time to renew... Can we trust you Avid?

David, while I understand your concerns, from all that I’m seeing and hearing, there’s more reason to trust Avid now than there was some months ago. New leadership is clearly committed to Media Composer and its users. 

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 20 2018 11:25 AM In reply to

• Hansa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 5 2006
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 421
    • Points 5,240

I'm not in the habit of attacking Avid for the sake of it and in most cases I'm a staunch defender of it but I have to echo the first post by saying please can we get the basics working properly.

We've had subtitles malfunctioning for many versions this year. This is essential. We've now got a bug in trim mode-essential.

I work in Post support, I'm not an editor and the rise of Resolve which does so many essential things like ingesting a whole range of media that Avid won't touch is making my job of defending Avid so much more difficult especially when the basics don't work.

I'm not going to debate the status of Resolve as an editing package against Avid but I fear the writing is on the wall if Avid can't get the essentials to work.

Avid DNxIO, 2.7 GHz 12 core late 2013 Mac Pro, 64 GB Ram, MC 2018.12 with Symphony option, OS 10.12.6, LaCie 24 TB RAID. 3.5 GHz 6 core Mac Pros x 5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 20 2018 3:55 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,160
    • Points 217,415
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

David,

I'm really sorry you feel that way as there have been so many improvements this past year and more coming this year ( one today actually 2018.11 and then Dec 31st 2018 another launch).  

2 weeks ago, Avid held an eventwith Key Code Media in LA called Ask Avid.  The CEO, head of technology and product management were on stage to answer some hard questions.  Here is the video of that event along with a demo of the features coming in MC this year.

Click here

NaB 2019 will be really impressive so I do hope Dave that you stick with us one more year as I dont think you will be going anywhere after this.  

As for bug fixes, They are fixed as fast as possible and one of the reasons why we have gone to the month release schedule.  You use to have to wait months and now if they can fix it quickly, you get it the next month and in some cases, like the player engine issue causing sluggishness, you got that in a weeks time.  One of the issues that is still causing problems is the stuttering subcap and engineering is still working it and recently ( end of last week ) finally found a recipe to make it happen so they can now fix it.  Not all bugs are easy to resolve and the Continuation Engineers so everything they can to work fast to fix.  Some of them even lurk here and on the Avid Editors of facebook so they can get a better handle on the issues.

Im not a sales person.... engineer by trade and have been with Avid 15 years taking the brunt of the customer frustrations and feeding that back into Avid.  Now that Jeff is CEO and totally devoted to our flagship products of which MC is one, I think you should wait - renew and if what I say doesnt come to fruition, then you can stop next year and Let me have it online.  As the customer advocate, its very improtant to me and my credibility to say what is fact and make sure the copany delivers on that.

Stick with us.... I dont think you will be disappointed.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Nov 20 2018 4:04 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,160
    • Points 217,415
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hansa

The subcap bug is a tough one and they = CET = finally got a recipe that reared the bugs ugly head last week.     

The subcap doesn't flicker when you have 2 raws in subcap. It is flickering only when they have only one, so on the empty row if you press space ( like an ascii invisible character) it gets you by the problem.  I just pinged the engineering asking for an update on it...... 

As for the trim mode bug with Cap locks, fixed and coming today in 2018.11

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Nov 21 2018 12:42 AM In reply to

How about the inability to 'see' live updates through a mask in trim mode?  This is a killer for me.

Last week I gave a masterclass in editing at the Golden Horse Film festival in Taipei. It was attended by 200 young filmakers (mostly editors, directors and producers) from Mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. I used MC to demonstrate techniques during the class.  Nobody in the class had used Avid in their projects.

The order of NLE populaity here is this: Premiere Pro, FCP7, FCPX, Resolve, Avid MC.

This is probably the market with the greatest growth potential for NLE's.  Avid should be aggressively promoting here but I see nothing.

Multiple Mac systems, MAC Pro, MacBook Pro's, OS Sierra, AJA IO 4K, T-Tap. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 21 2018 1:13 AM In reply to

Regarding the subcap bounce issue, I can offer one more clue for you.  In our proects we are often working with two layers of subcaps, one in English and one above in Chinese.  If I monitor English only, the subcaps bounce.  If I monitor both subcap layers, the bounce stops.

On 2018.10 the bounce problem seems to come and go but I don't see any clear reason why.

• Wed, Nov 21 2018 9:27 AM In reply to

• Hansa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 5 2006
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 421
    • Points 5,240

Hi Marianna,

Thanks for the update on 2018.11, I'll download it and install today. I'll try the 2 rows in Subcaps generator the next time I see the problem.

Sorry to seem to moan as we're all on the same side but I'm finding it increasingly harder to hold the line for Avid as our exclusive editing package.

Thanks

Avid DNxIO, 2.7 GHz 12 core late 2013 Mac Pro, 64 GB Ram, MC 2018.12 with Symphony option, OS 10.12.6, LaCie 24 TB RAID. 3.5 GHz 6 core Mac Pros x 5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 21 2018 2:22 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,160
    • Points 217,415
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hansa,

I hear you... all I can say is that MC was behind during the last regime and now that jeff is at the helm, he is 100% devoted to the creative tools which are the flagship products. A lot of $$ is being put behind it to make up lost ground and to improve the app's. Been here 15 years and this is the FIRST time I feel really good about the future ( but I also know whats coming Big Smile.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Fri, Nov 23 2018 1:59 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 528
    • Points 6,120
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

David Richardson:

In 2018 there have been 9 releases and only two of these have been stable enough to use on mission critical projects. 

Hi David

Can you tell me which versions? We have approx 50 clients on 18.4 but need to upgrade to overcome the frameflex bug.

Thanks

Nigel

ISIS 5500, MC 18.4 & PT 18.4 on Mac OS with BMD Mini-Monitors, an UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 23 2018 9:05 PM In reply to

• wolfgang
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 17 2010
    • vienna, austria
    • Posts 48
    • Points 545

my advice: bring a version with all bugs fixed and without any new features !!!

macpro 5,1 12-core 2 x 3,46GHz, 96GB/2 x 2TB SSD/2 x 1TB SSD/16TB HD/AMD vega64/BMD decklink 4k extreme 2 x EizoFX2431 macbookpro 15"retina 2017 3... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 26 2018 8:23 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,790

I have to agree with David. I started using MC in 1992 when I was living and working in the US. Before that I'd used Montage, EditDroid and some other whacky system called film. But MC was always the one for me until the last 2 years where I have drifted towards Premier Pro and it has essentially replaced MC as my go-to NLE. I shoot for clients, I edit for directors and grade everything in Resolve and I am slowly but surely gravitating in that direction. For years I had two perpetual MC licenses and now only maintain one and and today I'm questioning the value of that since Avid changed to a subscription based system. Now I feel like I'm having to choose between an Adobe subscription or an Avid one. Adobe sure gives you a lot more apps and a more integration.

MC has lagged so far behind in so many areas. Look at the pathetic Title Tool, the colour correction tool is horrible to use, AMA's dodgy connections (will it or won't it relink today) and keying is awful - there's aren't even any blend modes! I have a very standard setup with a maxxed out 2017 iMac, a BMD mini-monitor and the MC timeline is so slow . . . it just feels archaic. Compared to Premier and Resolve whcih are snappy and responsive. MC is really showing it's age and needs a serious overhaul. I'm not saying those apps are perfect, but they sure are listening to their customers and responding. I still use MC for some jobs, buy I find myself usingit less and less the more proficient I become with the others . . .

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 26 2018 12:25 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,502
    • Points 64,525

I renewed a few weeks ago, so my answer is yes, we can trust Avid, and am looking forward for seeing MC 18.12!

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller