Latest post Wed, Nov 21 2018 7:16 PM by hbrock. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 19 2018 10:19 AM

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London UK
    • Posts 528
    • Points 6,120
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Best iMac for Media Composer?

I need to order two new macs for MC suites to be used primarily for linking and transcoding, and then conforming and CC with  Symphony [and possibly Resolve in the future]. Footage is  2K and 3.2K LogC ProRes HQ and 4444 from Amira cameras, UHD Proes HQ from BMD 4K cameras, and occasional 4K RAW from Red Epic MX. We use Promise Pegasus2 R6 RAIDs for the media.

I've searched out and read various threads on this, and gained the impression that RAM is the most important thing. So Im thinking about an i7  27" iMac with SSD drive and 64GB RAM, rather than an iMac Pro.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Nigel

ISIS 5500, MC 18.4 & PT 18.4 on Mac OS with BMD Mini-Monitors, an UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 19 2018 9:13 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,380

Re: Best iMac for Media Composer?

I have the i7 with the 580 gfx card which has 8 gb of vram and the machine has 40gb ram.

the Apple ram is extremely expensive and replacing the ram yourself  is very easy 

its a good machine, the gtx card is definitely worth paying extra for, I work in DaVinci Resolve which really uses that Gfx card, if you can wait there is bound to be an update to the 6 core processor, which is better for transcoding.

The Mac mini is worth a look, (with an external gpu), 6 core processor 10 gab Ethernet, two thunderbolt controllers, giving four thunderbolt ports.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 21 2018 12:21 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 528
    • Points 6,120
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Thanks Martin.

I might have a look on the 'dark side' and investigate PC workstations.

Does anybody run MC on Linux?

Nigel

ISIS 5500, MC 18.4 & PT 18.4 on Mac OS with BMD Mini-Monitors, an UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 21 2018 7:16 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

MC doesn't run on Linux.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller