Latest post Tue, Oct 23 2018 7:28 PM by mkj. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 22 2018 4:46 PM

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sweden
    • Posts 394
    • Points 5,190

is this possible to relink?

Have a project where they have used consumer cameras in 4k, transcoded it in Resolve to dnx120, and after that worked with it in Avid. Now its time for grade, and they want to have it back to the 4k.

I took a little piece of the sequense for testing, and see that the original media has timecode start 00:00:00:00 when I LINK it, and the transcoded media has 15:36:13:24. The drone media seems to have 00:00:00:00 both in the LINKed and in the project.

Is this doable at all?

• Mon, Oct 22 2018 9:39 PM In reply to

Re: is this possible to relink?

Export an AAF without media.  Import this AAF into the Resolve Project you created the the DNxHD media in.

Resolve should immediately relink to the original 4K media. Use Resolves Deliver page to render the timelin out toyour desired resolution format movie.

Or use Resolves Avid Deliver template to make an AAF with individual clips and media handles. Choose a media Drive\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1000 folder for the AAF and media destinaton. Or just a number named folder that you can move into yor Avid computers media drive\Avid MediaFiles\MXF \ folder.

MC will index this folder when it startup.  Open your project and drag the AAF from your media folder to a new Bin.  The bin will populate with all the media and the AAF timeline.

• Mon, Oct 22 2018 9:51 PM In reply to

Make an AAF without media of your timeline. Send this AAF back to them.

When they open this in the Resolve project they used to create the DNx120 media  they can easily relink this AAF to the original 4K media. This may not work if you made subclips and edited with those.

• Tue, Oct 23 2018 8:11 AM In reply to

The screen shot shows a mark in time of 15:36:13:24.But you don't show the ac tual start time.

So its possible it is correct.

Basically if the start timecode of the media that was edited doesn't match the start timecode of the source you have a problem.

But their are solutions. Either manually eye match and over cut the new linked sources (time consuming if you have a lot of clips) or modify the start timecodes of the transcoded media to match the source media. Thjis will then ripple into the sequence and update the timecodes to ensure they match.

I'd then find out how they managed to transcode and not retain the source timecode. A pretty important transcoding function to get right!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Oct 23 2018 1:11 PM In reply to

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 394
    • Points 5,190

all clips in the project have uniqe names

will it not work if I add 00:00:00:00 in Auxiliary TC1 on both the source and target?

And then relink with this settings:

• Tue, Oct 23 2018 7:28 PM In reply to

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 394
    • Points 5,190

errr. it didnt work good enough...will do the AAF thing instead!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller