Latest post Mon, Oct 22 2018 8:47 AM by Pat Horridge. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 22 2018 3:58 AM

• Brandalf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 25 2018
    • Posts 15
    • Points 235

Why is MC First Re-Interlacing on Export?

I'm shooting with some Sony handycams that shoot in 1080i at 60p. When opening in Media Composer First it interprets the footage as 30p and everything looks great in Media Composer. When I publish to my local drive the footage becomes interlaced terribly. I know Media Composer first doesn't have much in the way of export options. Any reason it doesn't just look like it does in MC though? It plays back great in there. I even tried a video mixdown of a short bit of footage and exported it as DNxHD, but the problem persisted. I also tried some other 1:1p 10b HD, but still no luck. Any time I export it looks interlaced now. I've used these cameras before, but I was linking the footage and didn't have any issue with interlacing. I imported as DNxHD 145 this time because editing the linked footage was slow and glitchy. My whole project is done now, so I can't go back and re-do it. I just need to know how to export without everything re-interlacing. Any help would be very appreciated.

OS: Windows 10 Pro version 1709 - OS Build 16299.785 Processor: QuadCore AMD A10-5800K, 4GHz Motherboard: ASUS AMD A88X, AMD K15.1 Memory: 16Gb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 22 2018 8:24 AM In reply to

Re: Why is MC First Re-Interlacing on Export?

Hi,

Brandalf:
    I'm shooting with some Sony handycams that shoot in 1080i at 60p.

It can't be both 1080i (interlaced) and 60p (progressive). The FDR-AX700, for example, shoots XAVCS at 1080p/60 or AVCHD at 1080i/60. It'd be good to make sure of what your footage is before trying to troubleshoot an interlacing problem.

Brandalf:
    I imported as DNxHD 145 this time because editing the linked footage was slow and glitchy.

Rather than importing, try linking and then transcoding to DNxHD.

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Oct 22 2018 8:47 AM In reply to

Re: Why is MC First Re-Interlacing on Export?

Sounds like MC isn't "seeing" the footage as interlaced and is treatimg as progressive. Don't forget in MC viewers you only see one field so can't "see" interlacing until you export (or use field stepping but as first doesn't support interlaced projects thats not an option)

Make sure in the bin the clips are flagged as interlaced and not progressive.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller