Latest post Sun, Sep 16 2018 10:14 AM by usatraveler. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 16 2018 4:32 AM

• Caribbeangold
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 29 2006
    • 137 E. 6th Ave. Roselle, New Jersey
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Canon xa10 avchd files and Media Composer

Hello.  I enjoyed editing with Avid Xpress Pro/Studio. Now I've subscribed to the Media Composer 8.4 program and anxious to do my first edits.  I heard all about AMAs to link your files to M.C. but could not find the AMAs that would work with the Canon xa10 HD camcorder, a wonderfully compact unit loaded with features and lots of internal storage (was recently told by a Canon technician that the later versions like Canon xa20 up to Canon 400, etc.  have no internal storage, must use the cards).  Same tech informed me that my camcorder is the only Canon unit that is not supported by AMA therefore you have to first convert the files to media that Media Composer will understand and link  your footage that way.  After an exhaustive search I settled on Movavi video converter and should start trying it out by tomorrow. Used Brorsoft years ago but can't find them anymore.  If an editor has linked avchd footage from the canon xa10 to Media Composer software, please let me know how you did it.  I'm sure many users have the same problem and would benefit from this post. Remember, other Canon camcorders don't have that problem, their files will link with AMA.  Only the xa10 has the problem.  Very frustrating not being able to find that AMA link for my camcorder.  Thanks in advance.

Robert King | rjk productions | paris272@yahoo.com | tel. 908-361-7773 | New Jersey, USA

AVID Media Composer 8.4 Pro Tools 10 [view my complete system specs]

Robert J. King Producer/Director RJK Productions 95 Ashland Lane Aurora, Ohio 44202 (216)904-1336 paris272@yahoo.com

• Sun, Sep 16 2018 10:14 AM In reply to

Re: Canon xa10 avchd files and Media Composer

I had always thought the XA10 uses AVCHD, just like the XA25 that I use natively with MC all the time.  If so, no need to install any additional AMA plugin because the AVCHD AMA component is part of the MC installer.  You should be able to link directly to the root of the volume and the clips should appear - complete with timecode and with longer spanned clips properly detected as single clips.  Have you tried it?

Don't use Brorsoft or any of the others that get named in this.  Old, but still relevant.  Some of the ones I'm sure have been cloned to new names, but the same "be careful" applies with using tools like that.

https://www.macworld.com/article/1153685/web-apps/speaking-spammers.html

Movavi I'm not sure about - still, it should be unnecessary if you can get the files linked natively.  Not sure about your system specs - whether you're on a Mac or Windows - but on a Mac, I know that if a converter is needed, EditReady is a good one that maintains timecode, properly detects longer clips, and "rewraps" the files into individual MOV files without converting the underlying H.264 format - so it's fast.  On Windows, I'm not sure if there's a tool that does the same thing.  Again, if you can get the files working natively, that all doesn't matter.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller